Im/gi ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntlMed

Almost Hritik !!!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any such thing as a Combined Internal Medicine/ GI Program ??? I know there are Medicine/Peds programs and such others but never heard of a Combined IM/GI program ?? Do they exist ?? Just curious !!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks VentdependenT. Are there any programs that combine Internal Medicine and GI, so that students can get accepted into the GI programat the beginning of their residency. I guess what i am asking for is: Is there a fast-track way of getting into or finishing up GI without having to go thru three years of IM and GI afterwards (By applying seperately)

By the way, is GI a 2 or 3 year program ??

Thanks for your replies as always :)

Members don't see this ad :)
IntlMed said:
By the way, is GI a 2 or 3 year program ??
All GI fellowships are 3 years.

IntlMed said:
Is there any such thing as a Combined Internal Medicine/ GI Program ??? I know there are Medicine/Peds programs and such others but never heard of a Combined IM/GI program ?? Do they exist ?? Just curious !!! :D

There are a few IM programs with a fast track into GI. These are usually programs with large GI divisions. One of them is U of Pittsburgh (UPMC). You can call and find about the program.

june015b said:
There are a few IM programs with a fast track into GI. These are usually programs with large GI divisions. One of them is U of Pittsburgh (UPMC). You can call and find about the program.

These accelerated positions exist at most university programs. There are ABIM approved pathways that do 2 years gen med followed by 4-6 years of specialty (most of that time will be in the lab doing research). These are designed for clinician-scientists who know what they want to do with their lives when they enter or shortly after starting residency. Great because it gives you more time in the lab (if that's your thing), bad because you do lose a year of IM training.

retroviridae said:
These accelerated positions exist at most university programs. There are ABIM approved pathways that do 2 years gen med followed by 4-6 years of specialty (most of that time will be in the lab doing research). These are designed for clinician-scientists who know what they want to do with their lives when they enter or shortly after starting residency. Great because it gives you more time in the lab (if that's your thing), bad because you do lose a year of IM training.

2 Years of Gen Med with 4-6 years of Specialty does not seem "accelerated" to me :eek:
Am I missing something here :confused:

The "fast track" option has been dubbed thus because you are usually accepted for fellowship early in your 2nd year (ie - you find out fast). In this track, you typically train for 2 years in IM, do 2 years of research, and then move on to fellowship (although variations on this theme exist).
So the entire process actually takes longer, but for those that are pretty sure they want to go into academics, it allows you:
1) A guaranteed acceptance into fellowship early in your residency
2) Protected time to do research and publish, which gives you a head start in
your academic career.

The few people I talked to who fast tracked seemed to think it was a pretty sweet deal (they are planning on academic careers though). During the 2 research years, their typical days were 8-5. And they were allowed to moonlight to supplement their income.

The fast track is a great option for people planning on going into academics/research, and who know early which specialty they want to do. You pretty much have to know before you start residency, because you apply to fellowship programs during internship. For GI, fast trackers would have to apply around August/September of their intern year to get a spot that starts after second year. They pretty much know which program they'll be going to by November/December of that intern year. For other specialties, they can wait until around November of the intern year to start applying, and then will secure a program around the spring.

Most people I know who have fast tracked have started off as clinical fellows right away after their 2nd year, and do the research later, so that their research time can be lumped all together, but I'm sure there's variation between programs. Normally in academic IM subspecialty fellowships, fellows do 1-2 years of research after their clinical training is completed, depending on the subspecialty. Fast trackers get an extra year of research time added on to this. So fast tracking doesn't save you time overall, but you take more research time so that your clinical training is shorter.

AJM said:
The fast track is a great option for people planning on going into academics/research, and who know early which specialty they want to do. You pretty much have to know before you start residency, because you apply to fellowship programs during internship. For GI, fast trackers would have to apply around August/September of their intern year to get a spot that starts after second year. They pretty much know which program they'll be going to by November/December of that intern year. For other specialties, they can wait until around November of the intern year to start applying, and then will secure a program around the spring.

Most people I know who have fast tracked have started off as clinical fellows right away after their 2nd year, and do the research later, so that their research time can be lumped all together, but I'm sure there's variation between programs. Normally in academic IM subspecialty fellowships, fellows do 1-2 years of research after their clinical training is completed, depending on the subspecialty. Fast trackers get an extra year of research time added on to this. So fast tracking doesn't save you time overall, but you take more research time so that your clinical training is shorter.
Great Replies ... you all !!
So, from these posts, I gather, that for the average Joe who does not want to get into Academia, the IM(3 yrs) + GI ( 3 yrs) is the fastest route ??
I was on UPMC or UPITTS web site the other day and saw an IM program that was 4 years (Transitional year + 3 years Residency). Is there a special advantage to doing this 4 year program vs the regular 3 yrs?

IntlMed said:
Great Replies ... you all !!
So, from these posts, I gather, that for the average Joe who does not want to get into Academia, the IM(3 yrs) + GI ( 3 yrs) is the fastest route ??
I was on UPMC or UPITTS web site the other day and saw an IM program that was 4 years (Transitional year + 3 years Residency). Is there a special advantage to doing this 4 year program vs the regular 3 yrs?

Yes, for people not wanting to do academics, 3yrs IM + 3yrs GI is the fastest route. (even if you wanted to do academics, it would be 2yrs IM + 4 yrs GI = same amount of total time).

As far as the 4 year IM residency, I don't know why you would want to do a transitional year before a 3 year IM residency - I've never heard of this before. I can't think of any advantage this might offer, but the big disadvantage is that it will cost you an extra year, since it won't save you any time off of fellowship.

the transitional year is not part of the IM residency. it is separate and intended for residents going on to other programs as a PGY-2. it is similar to a preliminary medicine internship in that both are PGY-1 and both are designed to fill your internship year before advanced training. transitional is very similar to 3rd year rotations while prelim is "identical" to the intern year of an IM residency.

maybe stick to studying for the MCAT and getting into medical school before asking about residency programs.

IntlMed said:
Thanks for the response. As far as the residency program that I was referring to, it is http://www.upmc.edu/shadyintmed/Curriculum.htm .

Thanks,
IntlMed

They make it look a little confusing on that page. It's actually two separate programs listed together -- the transitional program and the categorical program. If you read the text on the site, they mention the categorical program as a 3-year program. As cytoskel said, for IM, you do not need to do a transitional year.

AJM said:
They make it look a little confusing on that page. It's actually two separate programs listed together -- the transitional program and the categorical program. If you read the text on the site, they mention the categorical program as a 3-year program. As cytoskel said, for IM, you do not need to do a transitional year.
Once again.. Great replies... :thumbup: Thank you for clarifying that ..