I'm a mediocre/cruddy applicant looking for others' thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Honestly, WAMC?

• Maybe

• Not likely

• No chance

• You have a shot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nannarnaluk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a senior undergrad applying this cycle. I only decided to go for vet med last summer, and since have been taking 19 hours a semester to catch up on prereqs. I'm currently planning on applying to Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas (IS), Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois, please feel free to leave thoughts and/or advice about applying to these schools.

Cumulative GPA: 3.00
science GPA: Depends on how the school calculates 2.8-3.2
last 45: 3.4

Any degrees achieved: AA Fall 2018, BS Spring 2021

GRE results:
Q:151 (40th percentile) V:157 (75th percentile) W:4.5 (80th percentile)

Veterinary Experience:
-275 shadowing hours at a mixed practice clinic. Large animal, exotics, food animal, and emergency.
-40 hours shelter medicine

Animal Experience:
- Equine: 1000+ professional, 5000+ personal
-Small/companion animal: 2000+ professional 10,000+ personal
-Exotics: 300 professional, 1000+ personal
-Limited food animal all professional
- Orphaned kitten bottle raiser/foster 850 hours
-Dog training service animals, and agility (non-professional setting)
-4-H equine

Research Experience:
Does a literature review count if it was required for a class?

Awards/scholarships:
-Dean's list one semester

Extracurriculars:
-Equestrian
-Dog shows and sports
-Reading and research
-Creative writing
-I love watching surgical live streams, can/should I put that on my app?

Employment:
- Pet Store 3 1/2 years
-State park store one summer
-Legal aid social media coordinator one summer

I'm highly concerned that I'm a mediocre applicant that won't even be glanced at. I know my GPA and veterinary experience needs improvement. I don't have any leadership activities that I can think of, and I feel that's a problem. Originally I was applying this cycle for the experience, knowing I would not be a competitive applicant. I've since become very excited and hopeful. I'm looking for honest opinions. Am I about to waste a bunch of money on applying to six schools when I have no shot?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you considered taking a gap year? This is obviously just my opinion and others may have way better advice than what I can offer you, but it seems like maybe you filled your plate a bit too full to try to complete your pre-reqs before you graduated and that caused your grades to suffer. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). A science GPA in that range is going to be an uphill battle. I'm not saying it will be impossible but I am saying that you will need to show other areas of your application in a sparkling light and I'm not sure if you're 100% there yet.

I also think you need to do more research on the schools that you have on your list- while Oregon does not have a minimum GPA requirement, I'll attach pictures of their average class statics for you to look at, along with the spots open for non-residents.
Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.02.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.02.57 PM.png

For reference, I'll also attach statistics from Oklahomas website as well. I figure you can do your research on the rest.
Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.04.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.05.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.05.28 PM.png

These are my thoughts, maybe a little jumbled, and again, take them with a grain of salt because it's just my opinion:

1. If you were to take a gap year, you could re-take the courses that you got sub-par grades in, as well as take additional upper level science courses to boost your science GPA. If you only had certain pre-reqs taken to apply to schools, this would give you the opportunity to be able to add more schools to your list since you now have time to take those extra pre-reqs. This will also help you boost your last 45.
2. This gives you time to do more research on schools. Picking schools like Oregon and OK-State probably are less than ideal since they take such a small number of OOS candidates and are typically pretty competitive, as you can see from those statistics above. Based on what you're able to achieve in your gap year grade wise, I'd focus on schools that honor grade replacement, and take a high number of OOS candidates. Obviously your #1 priority is getting into your IS school, and you're lucky enough you now have 2 IS schools.
3. You now have time to beef up your veterinary hours, as well as your volunteer/leadership hours. Vet schools like to see volunteer hours outside of the veterinary world, so find something you're passionate about and start volunteering there. You can make this a dual purpose where your volunteer experience would also have leadership. Your veterinary hours also get the chance to become more diversified at different clinics- you can add SA/equine/emergency/zoo/exotic/food animal/research/specialty to your resume.

That all being said, if taking a gap year is out of the question, I think you need to re-evaluate your school choices and consider adding the island schools on there, TTU, and schools that will holistically evaluate you. You should consider using the explanation statement for your grades if you're not already. I also think it's important to identify the reasoning behind your lower than average GPA's, because this struggles, if not identified (poor time management, poor study techniques, etc) will continue on through veterinary school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Have you considered taking a gap year? This is obviously just my opinion and others may have way better advice than what I can offer you, but it seems like maybe you filled your plate a bit too full to try to complete your pre-reqs before you graduated and that caused your grades to suffer. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). A science GPA in that range is going to be an uphill battle. I'm not saying it will be impossible but I am saying that you will need to show other areas of your application in a sparkling light and I'm not sure if you're 100% there yet.

I also think you need to do more research on the schools that you have on your list- while Oregon does not have a minimum GPA requirement, I'll attach pictures of their average class statics for you to look at, along with the spots open for non-residents. View attachment 315791
View attachment 315792

For reference, I'll also attach statistics from Oklahomas website as well. I figure you can do your research on the rest. View attachment 315793
View attachment 315794
View attachment 315795

These are my thoughts, maybe a little jumbled, and again, take them with a grain of salt because it's just my opinion:

1. If you were to take a gap year, you could re-take the courses that you got sub-par grades in, as well as take additional upper level science courses to boost your science GPA. If you only had certain pre-reqs taken to apply to schools, this would give you the opportunity to be able to add more schools to your list since you now have time to take those extra pre-reqs. This will also help you boost your last 45.
2. This gives you time to do more research on schools. Picking schools like Oregon and OK-State probably are less than idea since they take such a small number of OOS candidates and are typically pretty competitive, as you can see from those statistics above. Based on what you're able to achieve in your gap year grade wise, I'd focus on schools that honor grade replacement, and take a high number of OOS candidates. Obviously your #1 priority is getting into your IS school, and you're lucky enough you now have 2 IS schools.
3. You now have time to beef up your veterinary hours, as well as your volunteer/leadership hours. Vet schools like to see volunteer hours outside of the veterinary world, so find something you're passionate about and start volunteering there. You can make this a dual purpose where your volunteer experience would also have leadership. Your veterinary hours also get the chance to become more diversified at different clinics- you can add SA/equine/emergency/zoo/exotic/food animal/research/specialty to your resume.

That all being said, if taking a gap year is out of the question, I think you need to re-evaluate your school choices and consider adding the island schools on there, TTU, and schools that will holistically evaluate you. You should consider using the explanation statement for your grades if you're not already. I also think it's important to identify the reasoning behind your lower than average GPA's, because this struggles, if not identified (poor time management, poor study techniques, etc) will continue on through veterinary school.

I've definitely done extensive research on the schools and I felt Oregon was a huge stretch that I was applying to mostly as a dream school. OK I'm hoping my GRE scores would make up for my lacking GPA, let me know what you think.
I am not opposed to taking a gap year, in fact that is pretty much what I anticipate doing. Realistically I know my chances are low and I will likely retake courses and bulk up my experiences next year. I appreciate your honesty. Many people in my life, including veterinarians, are pumping me up saying I'm going to get in. That makes it a bit emotionally difficult for me, as before I was okay with just applying for the experience, where now I feel emotionally invested.

My grades are cruddy for a number of reasons. Before deciding to pursue vet med, I simply didn't try in school. I graduated high school with a 4.0 taking all AP courses. I didn't study, I didn't apply myself. I easily made B's in college and was okay with that. Learning has always been easy for me, and I was unmotivated to put in any more effort. Since starting my prereqs, I have put in full force effort. I have made straight A's in everything EXCEPT every single chemistry I've gotten a C. I know those Cs are kicking me in the rear. I had chronic pneumonia and my dog was in and out of ICU the entire semester of gen chem 1, and I never fully recovered from that lack of foundation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've definitely done extensive research on the schools and I felt Oregon was a huge stretch that I was applying to mostly as a dream school. OK I'm hoping my GRE scores would make up for my lacking GPA, let me know what you think.
I am not opposed to taking a gap year, in fact that is pretty much what I anticipate doing. Realistically I know my chances are low and I will likely retake courses and bulk up my experiences next year. I appreciate your honesty. Many people in my life, including veterinarians, are pumping me up saying I'm going to get in. That makes it a bit emotionally difficult for me, as before I was okay with just applying for the experience, where now I feel emotionally invested.

My grades are cruddy for a number of reasons. Before deciding to pursue vet med, I simply didn't try in school. I graduated high school with a 4.0 taking all AP courses. I didn't study, I didn't apply myself. I easily made B's in college and was okay with that. Learning has always been easy for me, and I was unmotivated to put in any more effort. Since starting my prereqs, I have put in full force effort. I have made straight A's in everything EXCEPT every single chemistry I've gotten a C. I know those Cs are kicking me in the rear. I had chronic pneumonia and my dog was in and out of ICU the entire semester of gen chem 1, and I never fully recovered from that lack of foundation.
In my personal opinion, I don't think you should bank on your GRE scores making up for your grades when you're that far below their averages. It would be one thing if you were just a smidge below but lets say at the high point your science GPA for OK-State is 3.2, their average is 3.66, that's a pretty big gap.
Everyone has dream schools and I think that's great, but they're not always realistic. If you want to invest your time and money into applying to Oregon knowing their statistics that is absolutely your prerogative, but I always try to encourage people to apply wisely based on what would be realistic for their grades/hours/GRE/etc.
I thought I would for sure get an interview for my IS when I applied since I was so far above their averages, everyone around me said the same thing but I was automatically rejected and they stopped doing file reviews so I wasn't able to find out why. I did, however, get into 2 OOS schools. If I learned anything, it's that the application process can be kind of a crapshoot. It's good to feel confident, I did and sometimes I think that's the only thing that kept me going through the cycle. I also think it's good to be realistic and set fair expectations and goals. Applying this cycle is good for the experience, but I'd encourage you to, again, re-evaluate your school list to at least give you a fair chance at getting an interview at some of the schools you apply to.
Have you considered the island schools? What about Western, LMU, Midwestern UofA, Iowa, K-State? How many classes do you have left to take- is there a chance your grades can be improved still this cycle?

In my personal opinion, I don't think you should bank on your GRE scores making up for your grades when you're that far below their averages. It would be one thing if you were just a smidge below but lets say at the high point your science GPA for OK-State is 3.2, their average is 3.66, that's a pretty big gap.
Everyone has dream schools and I think that's great, but they're not always realistic. If you want to invest your time and money into applying to Oregon knowing their statistics that is absolutely your prerogative, but I always try to encourage people to apply wisely based on what would be realistic for their grades/hours/GRE/etc.
I thought I would for sure get an interview for my IS when I applied since I was so far above their averages, everyone around me said the same thing but I was automatically rejected and they stopped doing file reviews so I wasn't able to find out why. I did, however, get into 2 OOS schools. If I learned anything, it's that the application process can be kind of a crapshoot. It's good to feel confident, I did and sometimes I think that's the only thing that kept me going through the cycle. I also think it's good to be realistic and set fair expectations and goals. Applying this cycle is good for the experience, but I'd encourage you to, again, re-evaluate your school list to at least give you a fair chance at getting an interview at some of the schools you apply to.
Have you considered the island schools? What about Western, LMU, Midwestern UofA, Iowa, K-State? How many classes do you have left to take- is there a chance your grades can be improved still this cycle?

I'll be totally honest I don't know much about the island schools or any of the private schools. If you have more insight I'd appreciate it! I have looked at the other schools, I considered Iowa and K-state and honestly would still consider them. I don't remember exactly why I steered away from them, it may have had something to do with prereqs. I have four prereqs left, but plenty of degree required coursework. I'm enrolled in 21 hours this semester.
I'm definitely not confident, in fact the exact opposite which is why I think I'm spending so much mental energy on applying. Everyone around me is giving me some false hope that I worry is just setting me up for disappointment. Originally I was only going to apply to my IS school before everyone was making it such a big deal lol.
I may have been leading myself astray with thinking that their averages also have people coming in with grades lower than the average, but I realize that is also just me being hopeful. I sincerely appreciate your feedback, it is nice to get some realistic and helpful perspective from someone that isn't just telling me I'll get in, when I know very well that its unlikely.

ETA: My grades are what they are for this cycle unfortunately. Unless they take into consideration fall grades, which I don't believe they do but I may be wrong.

Current 4th year at Illinois.

If you think you'd be willing to take the gap year, I would 100% recommend following through on that. I encourage everyone to not apply until they have the absolute best application they can have. I think a gap year would help you in both the experience and grades department.

5000+ personal

What do these personal hours mean? Are these pets or something like breeding/showing?

Does a literature review count if it was required for a class?

I did not count my lit review capstone project as research.

Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas (IS), Ohio, Missouri, and Illinois

I would not recommend spending the money on Oregon as Cos already mentioned. I also applied there during my third cycle and I regret wasting the money. I was moderately better in grades, and had extensive leadership experience. When they only accept, what, 15ish people and wait list another 30, it's not a realistic choice. @ziggyandjazzy is an oregon student that was around here, but I dont know if theyll see it.

Illinois, you may have a chance. But I still think its a reach cause you dont have a major strength in either phase 1 or phase 2 parameters.

Current 4th year at Illinois.

If you think you'd be willing to take the gap year, I would 100% recommend following through on that. I encourage everyone to not apply until they have the absolute best application they can have. I think a gap year would help you in both the experience and grades department.

What do these personal hours mean? Are these pets or something like breeding/showing?

I did not count my lit review capstone project as research.

I would not recommend spending the money on Oregon as Cos already mentioned. I also applied there during my third cycle and I regret wasting the money. I was moderately better in grades, and had extensive leadership experience. When they only accept, what, 15ish people and wait list another 30, it's not a realistic choice. @ziggyandjazzy is an oregon student that was around here, but I dont know if theyll see it.

Illinois, you may have a chance. But I still think its a reach cause you dont have a major strength in either phase 1 or phase 2 parameters.

Hello, thanks for the response. The personal hours include pet ownership and showing my personal animals. It is something TAMU asks about on their supplemental app which is why I included it. I've been wishy washy on applying to Oregon this whole time, and may after all just not spend the money.

Hello, thanks for the response. The personal hours include pet ownership and showing my personal animals. It is something TAMU asks about on their supplemental app which is why I included it. I've been wishy washy on applying to Oregon this whole time, and may after all just not spend the money.

Definitely include the hours of showing for all the schools! Just be aware that personal pet ownership should be conservatively be estimated in the eyes of some schools.

Texas Tech in Amarillo is also opening a vet school exclusively for in state students (at least for the first class). Definitely a school to consider!

I'll be totally honest I don't know much about the island schools or any of the private schools. If you have more insight I'd appreciate it! I have looked at the other schools, I considered Iowa and K-state and honestly would still consider them. I don't remember exactly why I steered away from them, it may have had something to do with prereqs. I have four prereqs left, but plenty of degree required coursework. I'm enrolled in 21 hours this semester.
I'm definitely not confident, in fact the exact opposite which is why I think I'm spending so much mental energy on applying. Everyone around me is giving me some false hope that I worry is just setting me up for disappointment. Originally I was only going to apply to my IS school before everyone was making it such a big deal lol.
I may have been leading myself astray with thinking that their averages also have people coming in with grades lower than the average, but I realize that is also just me being hopeful. I sincerely appreciate your feedback, it is nice to get some realistic and helpful perspective from someone that isn't just telling me I'll get in, when I know very well that its unlikely.

ETA: My grades are what they are for this cycle unfortunately. Unless they take into consideration fall grades, which I don't believe they do but I may be wrong.
To be honest, I don’t have any experience with private/island schools and very little insight on either, I’d recommend looking into them though since they generally tend to evaluate candidates a bit more holistically.
Iowa tells you on their website what courses go into their science calculations since it’s different than other schools, this was a negative for many people but for me it was a huge positive since my science GPA ended up being the highest here. The last I checked, they also honored grade replacement.
I personally made a spreadsheet with all of the schools that I was interested in applying to and calculated my own science GPA to make sure I’d be competitive so I wasn’t wasting my time applying, I always recommend others do the same.
If you are planning on taking a gap year, you might want to consider breaking up those 21 credit hours to ensure you can get the best grades possible going forth. This will show a positive upward trend, improve your science GPA, and help your last 45.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

So heeding advice I'm removing Oregon and trying to decide between adding Kansas or Iowa or neither? Would love other recommendations as well, currently avoiding private schools due to cost. I've considered Minnesota, but I'm not much of a city person so I worry about the location.

I've spent so much time and effort on applying this cycle that I'm going to go through with it, but I understand that I'm unlikely to be looked at seriously.

P.S. Someone mentioned the Texas Tech school opening. They're not allowing app submissions until October. I figure I will apply there, but they're really looking for rural students and those highly interested in food animals. I'm very much a mixed practice person myself, and come from a suburban background. Should I apply, or no?

Hey all,

So heeding advice I'm removing Oregon and trying to decide between adding Kansas or Iowa or neither? Would love other recommendations as well, currently avoiding private schools due to cost. I've considered Minnesota, but I'm not much of a city person so I worry about the location.

I've spent so much time and effort on applying this cycle that I'm going to go through with it, but I understand that I'm unlikely to be looked at seriously.

P.S. Someone mentioned the Texas Tech school opening. They're not allowing app submissions until October. I figure I will apply there, but they're really looking for rural students and those highly interested in food animals. I'm very much a mixed practice person myself, and come from a suburban background. Should I apply, or no?
Calculate your science GPA for Iowa and then decide whether or not you should apply there. As they mention on their website, they had a science GPA cutoff of 3.0 last year for non-residents, so if your science GPA comes out to <3.0 when you calculate it, you have your answer.
K-State gives you their admissions formula, so you can use that to decide on whether or not you think it would be worth it to apply to.
I do think it would be worth it for you to apply to TTU, but maybe someone with more experience/knowledge of the program can speak more to the program since I haven't done very much research on it.

I absolutely recommend applying to Texas Tech. In state tuition and their focus on rural medicine would absolutely be an asset to your plans of mixed practice. And mixed practice still applies to rural medicine. I went to undergrad in a town of 3000 people. The town vet took care of everything from student floofy dogs to the 1000 head of cattle for the dude that lives outside of town.