I'm a CPhT and make $7.15/hr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommyVoltage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working at CVS for about 4-5 weeks and I only make $7.15 an hour. I'm a certified pharmacy technician and I still get paid this little amount. I need the experience in a pharmacy because I plan on applying to schools for admission in the Fall 2010 program, but I feel like I'm greatly underpaid.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that they are paying you what everyone else in your area would get paid as a starting pharmacy tech. I started 3 years ago at 10 something and now am at $12.65 but this is Southern California where the cost of living is higher. You're getting paid less than minimum wage in CA actually.

I've been working at CVS for about 4-5 weeks and I only make $7.15 an hour. I'm a certified pharmacy technician and I still get paid this little amount. I need the experience in a pharmacy because I plan on applying to schools for admission in the Fall 2010 program, but I feel like I'm greatly underpaid.

What should I do?

Wow. That is very low. What area are you from? I'm from CA, and I used to work for Longs Drugs (about 1 year ago). As a pharmacy clerk, my starting salary was $9/hr. I wasn't even a certified tech or anything. My manager told me that the starting salary for an inexperienced certified tech at our place will start at $11/hr and move up w/ more experience.

That's good that you're getting some experience. But man, that wage really sucks, especially when you're certified already. You should definitely ask around other drugstores in your area to compare with other tech wages. Isn't $7.15 below minimum wage? Well, at least for CA it is.

Members don't see this ad :)

What should I do?

Switch jobs. Find another, and research the pay beforehand.

I like in the Poconos, Pennsylvania (about 30 minutes east of Wilkes University). Minimum wage here is $7.15. I feel if I switch jobs now though, I blow my chance of getting a LOR from the pharmacy manager and wouldn't know the new pharmacist well enough at my new job, if i got one, for a LOR. I'm in a bad situation, but I guess the main goal is just getting the experience for my application.

Yeah...sounds about right, remember...experience doesn't pay the bills. When I was in your shoes, the $9/hr I made as a clerk was inconsequential, the LOR was more important.

Just stick it out and that'll be that. Wages here in PA are horribly depressed...I get taxed higher here (since I'm "low income" as a student and state taxes are flat rate AND i get socked with this stupid "wage tax") so I refuse to work in PA (intern rate ~$11/hr vs. CA $18/hr).

yea...the CVS's around here do not care if you are a CPhT (at least thats the way it was when i got certified ~3 years ago)...you are pretty much getting paid the same amount that a random person off the street would be getting

do you work at the 24 hour east stroudsburg store?

Since techs in philly are making around 7.50-7.75 (and certification doesn't add more than 50 cents or so), then I wouldn't be surprised by your 7.15. Switching probably won't find you anywhere that pays more than 50 cents over what you get now.
As an intern, however, that salary will jump up to about 10 bucks/hr.

i dont understand why you're upset. I made that for almost half a year when i first started. I was just happy to have a tech position.

I started making $6.00 an hour over three years ago when the minimum wage was $5.15 in NC. Now, I make $7.54 an hour. I am not certified; once (if) I get certified, my pharmacy gives an extra one dollar an hour.

i dont understand why you're upset. I made that for almost half a year when i first started. I was just happy to have a tech position.

While I understand the need to get pharmacy experience and the fact that tech work is sometimes hard to find now, the fact is I went from $25/hr+ down to $12 making a tech, and the work was twice as tiring as my previous job.

So it basically just sucks making 1/2 your pay for double the work when you have a BS degree and all your friends are making twice as much.

In retrospect, pharmacy experience was overrated...I should have worked one day a week (Sunday) while working my normal job during the week. I would have gotten the LOR, the right to say I worked in a pharmacy, and the salary. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

When I finished working in retail after 6 years, I was making $10.50, just under double what I started out at ($5.60), which was a nickel over minimum wage. Yes, you could theoretically be getting paid less than what you're worth, but you get experience and when you're a pharmacist, you'll be making exponentially more than that. Just be happy you have a job.

Yeah I think pharm tech pay is BS. I took a 6 dollar pay cut to work retail but kept my other job to pay the bills. Now the pay has gotten more respectable after certification and a little negotiation. But my second job still pays the bills which is now a hospital tech and the pay is very good. Its funny how pharmacists make less in a hospital than retail but techs make much more in a hospital than retail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I think pharm tech pay is BS. I took a 6 dollar pay cut to work retail but kept my other job to pay the bills. Now the pay has gotten more respectable after certification and a little negotiation. But my second job still pays the bills which is now a hospital tech and the pay is very good. Its funny how pharmacists make less in a hospital than retail but techs make much more in a hospital than retail.

What's odd about Pharmacy Technician pay is that, when compared to other "Technician" jobs, like Radiology Tech, there is a HUGE disparity.

I'm aware that there is, generally, a training difference (i.e., rad. techs and respiratory techs have more education) but... Still. The Rad Techs at my hospital drive brand new BMWs. LOL...

What's odd about Pharmacy Technician pay is that, when compared to other "Technician" jobs, like Radiology Tech, there is a HUGE disparity.

I'm aware that there is, generally, a training difference (i.e., rad. techs and respiratory techs have more education) but... Still. The Rad Techs at my hospital drive brand new BMWs. LOL...

yeah and I know many long time techs want to make certification required (at least in my state because I know its required in others) because they like many other professionals want more respect and better pay. I still think theres enough money in pharmacy to pay techs decently. Nothing bugs me more than when a company doesn't value their employees and I think pay comes into play here. I felt insulted when I was offered 7.35 starting a year ago at my retail job. I was going to turn down the job because I can't live on that kind of pay but the pharmacy manager and I worked it out. Anyways....

Well you're not exactly cranking out IV bags or using aseptic techniques in a retail setting, so it takes quite a bit more skill (not that much) to do that, which explains the pay disparity.

I feel bad for these suckers who pay $10k to be pharmacy techs, I took a ~$125 test with free study materials at work and leapfrogged the one chick at our pharmacy who did that.

Well you're not exactly cranking out IV bags or using aseptic techniques in a retail setting, so it takes quite a bit more skill (not that much) to do that, which explains the pay disparity.

I feel bad for these suckers who pay $10k to be pharmacy techs, I took a ~$125 test with free study materials at work and leapfrogged the one chick at our pharmacy who did that.

Yeah no kidding I know the community college I first went to even cancelled their pharm tech program. Its unnecessary to go to school to become a pharm tech. But I guess if its what you want to do it can help you get into a hospital which can be tough.

At $8.75, I'm currently on track to make about 38% of what I did last year.

Provided I kept working full time, of course! Ha! Ha!

Yeah, that's NO joke! Western Career College in Sacramento is charging $13,750 for a Pharmacy Technology program that doesn't even have statistics on PTCE pass rates, nor do they offer internship placement or anything else remotely worth while.

I, too, passed the test but I used a Mosby's review book to study from, and took 2 practice exams before the real thing (One absolutely cold, and one after studying Mosby's for a couple of weeks to gauge the effect of studying) so I spent more money than you (damn!) but, it was certainly less than $13,750...

Yeah, that's NO joke! Western Career College in Sacramento is charging $13,750 for a Pharmacy Technology program that doesn't even have statistics on PTCE pass rates, nor do they offer internship placement or anything else remotely worth while.

I, too, passed the test but I used a Mosby's review book to study from, and took 2 practice exams before the real thing (One absolutely cold, and one after studying Mosby's for a couple of weeks to gauge the effect of studying) so I spent more money than you (damn!) but, it was certainly less than $13,750...

Yeah I beat you, I got my book free from work!

Granted, I really didn't use it that much until the night before (much like my studying right now for a final at 9am).

I studied 2 hours hours before my exam (I got out of class at 3 and had my exam at 5, but took some breaks and had to drive 30 minutes to my exam). It thought it was pretty easy.

I am working on my real job 40 hours a week, non health care, non pharmacy related, $25/hr. and work in a pharamcy 4 hours a week on Saturday to gain some pharmacy experience, $10/hr. I am not a tech yet, will get my license in June. My boss said pharm. tech can earn from $10 to 21/hr.
I really don't understand why pharm. tech earn so little. They really have huge responsibilities in a pharmacy practice. I can't image I can work as a pharmacist without the support of good pharm. techs.

While I understand the need to get pharmacy experience and the fact that tech work is sometimes hard to find now, the fact is I went from $25/hr+ down to $12 making a tech, and the work was twice as tiring as my previous job.

So it basically just sucks making 1/2 your pay for double the work when you have a BS degree and all your friends are making twice as much.

In retrospect, pharmacy experience was overrated...I should have worked one day a week (Sunday) while working my normal job during the week. I would have gotten the LOR, the right to say I worked in a pharmacy, and the salary. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

What should I do?

Apply to Walgreen's! http://www.walgreens.com/about/careers/hourly/apply.jsp
Certified Tech's make $11.25/hr

If you don't get hired right away, wait a few months, gain some more experience, and apply again, and again. It's about timing.

Also, you might consider just applying for a clerk job at Walgreen's because the starting rate is $8.50/hr and Walgreen's would rather promote an insider worker over an outside hire.

Walgreen's pay makes CVS look like a sweatshop. :hungover:

(These rates are for the NYC/LI area.)

Walgreen's pay makes CVS look like a sweatshop. :hungover:

it's all the same, trust me....at the end of the day, same stress, maybe a few bucks extra on either end depending how you can negotiate.

what you do is you stick to it, get the experience you need, and move on.

You have to keep your future goals in mind. If you've already put time into this job, and are going to be applying to pharmacy school, stick it out. That letter of recommendation you get from a pharmacist will be a strong asset to your pharmCAS application. I live in California and started a job at an independent pharmacy (as a clerk) making only $8.50/hr. I worked hard and asked for raises. By the time I left my job 2 years later, I was making $14/hr as a certified/registered pharmacy technician. If you have the patience to stick it out, it could really be a great thing for you. I look at my experience in a positive way. It didn't really pay the bills, but I got two pharmacist letters of recommendation out of it, and I was accepted into quite a few pharmacy schools this year. Good luck to you!

I became CPhT and started out working for FREE!

I was a volunteer turned clerk turn tech. Now, going to pharmacy school in the fall. Try to stick it out. In the mean time, try volunteering consistently at a hospital. Let them know you're a CphT interested in a job. This way, when a pharmacy tech position does open up, they'll most likely give it to you.

Good luck.

I became CPhT and started out working for FREE!

I was a volunteer turned clerk turn tech. Now, going to pharmacy school in the fall. Try to stick it out. In the mean time, try volunteering consistently at a hospital. Let them know you're a CphT interested in a job. This way, when a pharmacy tech position does open up, they'll most likely give it to you.

Good luck.

Yeah, I plan on volunteering at the local hospital in about a month (end of all my summer classes).

Radiation Techs require a 2-year degree. Pharm Techs don't. Why shouldn't they make more money, then??

And to think I bitch about my $20 / hour at CVS in CA... put in your time, get your apps / LORs, and get out.

I work at Walgreens for $8.75/hour, and I am not certified. (I was supposed to be after 6 months, but everything is switching around in corporate, and they forgot to schedule me for the test, despite my constant email reminders. Ugh.) After I become certified, I think the pay goes up to $9.75/hr. I'm in Florida, so things may be different here. I know my certified friend who works for CVS gets paid $8/hr.

Is there a military base near you? They pay certified techs $15/hr starting at our airforce base here. The only down side is that they don't work around your school schedule, since they're only open 8 - 5, Monday - Friday.

How do you all pay your bills with this kind of pay? Do you live at home with parents? It just isn't an option for me to work as a tech for my primary income..It wouldn't even come close to paying my rent..

Elle

How do you all pay your bills with this kind of pay? Do you live at home with parents? It just isn't an option for me to work as a tech for my primary income..It wouldn't even come close to paying my rent..

Elle

In your case, find a sugar daddy. I'm actually being serious.

Elle

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not work as a CphT for a primary income.

I am fortunate in that I receive excellent benefits from the military, but if I was not receiving this and if I didn't have any savings from my many deployments, I would definitely have roommates to split expenses with.

I am sure NYC is super-expensive (I lived at Fort Drum for 6 months and spent many a weekend in NYC proper) to live in, so without getting too personal, why don't you get some roomies?

Or just get a sugar daddy, like Confetti suggested. Although I think that's a bad idea.

Take a look at your spending for starters. When my wife and I were transitioning from Army pay (with zero expenses) + deployment pay, hazardous duty pay, etc, we had to really change our lifestyle. At one point, we were spending $350 a week in eating out at restaurants.

Small things can add up. No more lattes, no more biscottis, no more pasta arrabiata, and a whole lot more PB&J.

I dunno. Like I said, I don't know you, so I don't know how much money goes in and how it goes out in your life, but I suggest taking a hard look at it.

Elle

i don't live at home. i have an apartment with a friend by campus, but my parents still pay for it because i'm 20 years old and have no money. i spent it all on a 42" tv.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not work as a CphT for a primary income.

I am fortunate in that I receive excellent benefits from the military, but if I was not receiving this and if I didn't have any savings from my many deployments, I would definitely have roommates to split expenses with.

I am sure NYC is super-expensive (I lived at Fort Drum for 6 months and spent many a weekend in NYC proper) to live in, so without getting too personal, why don't you get some roomies?

Or just get a sugar daddy, like Confetti suggested. Although I think that's a bad idea.

Take a look at your spending for starters. When my wife and I were transitioning from Army pay (with zero expenses) + deployment pay, hazardous duty pay, etc, we had to really change our lifestyle. At one point, we were spending $350 a week in eating out at restaurants.

Small things can add up. No more lattes, no more biscottis, no more pasta arrabiata, and a whole lot more PB&J.

I dunno. Like I said, I don't know you, so I don't know how much money goes in and how it goes out in your life, but I suggest taking a hard look at it.

as for eating, you can expand past pb&j. i eat 5 times a day (breakfast, lunch, protein shake, dinner, late snack) and spend about $15-$20 a week. store brand is just as good as the name brand.

as for eating, you can expand past pb&j. i eat 5 times a day (breakfast, lunch, protein shake, dinner, late snack) and spend about $15-$20 a week. store brand is just as good as the name brand.

You eat 5 times a day and only spend about $15-$20 a week??? PLEASE share with us your secrets as I find it hard to not go over that amount daily.

You eat 5 times a day and only spend about $15-$20 a week??? PLEASE share with us your secrets as I find it hard to not go over that amount daily.

lol you must eat out a lot :laugh:. But, if you can cook for yourself, shop thriftily, and of course be a "coupon addict" (you see them all the time in the supermarkets w/ small purses that are exclusively used for holding their coupons) then $15-$20 a week is a breeze. Personally, I would have at least $5-8 left over at the end of each week. With that I could treat myself to a (1) rental.

Cereal for breakfast
Chicken & pasta, chicken tacos, hamburgers, pasta.. my big meal for lunch
Protein shake in the afternoon
Sandwich for dinner
Yogurt or some other snack to fill me up an hour or two before bed

Look for fruit that's on sale and always have bananas. i grocery shop at the wal-mart super center, so i imagine a bigger supermarket like gaint, king cullen, or publix will be more expensive.

I beat you confettiflyer.

I worked for CVS for like 17 months, they paid for my test, I pirated a pharmacy tech book off the internet and destroyed that test. The only cost for me taking that test was the gas cost of driving the 40 miles to the test site and back.

I can totally relate to your situation as I just left my $18/hr+ job to work at Walgreens making $8.75/hr. I had to finally let go of the money to get my feet wet and gain some experience to put down on my pharm school apps. I feel lucky though, as I have a wonderful fiance who is more or less financially supporting me through the next four years as she just finished her undergrad and is making good money. I told her that if all goes well, she can sit at home in 5 yrs :laugh:

I beat you confettiflyer.

I worked for CVS for like 17 months, they paid for my test, I pirated a pharmacy tech book off the internet and destroyed that test. The only cost for me taking that test was the gas cost of driving the 40 miles to the test site and back.

Oooo I HAVE to be a ***** and 1up you, cus Walgreen's paid for the exam ($129), gave me free studying materials($???), increased my pay from $9.75 to $11.25, AND paid for gas/mileage to and from the distance between Walgreens and the testing area ($20+) and I actually only spent $3.40 on 2 metrocard rides :D. I win! yessss.......

Oooo I HAVE to be a ***** and 1up you, cus Walgreen's paid for the exam ($129), gave me free studying materials($???), increased my pay from $9.75 to $11.25, AND paid for gas/mileage to and from the distance between Walgreens and the testing area ($20+) and I actually only spent $3.40 on 2 metrocard rides :D. I win! yessss.......

I am replying to this, not to say I am shameful at having spent 30 bucks for a Mosby's book, but because you have a pro usage of "1up" in there. :thumbup:

Cereal for breakfast
Chicken & pasta, chicken tacos, hamburgers, pasta.. my big meal for lunch
Protein shake in the afternoon
Sandwich for dinner
Yogurt or some other snack to fill me up an hour or two before bed

Look for fruit that's on sale and always have bananas. i grocery shop at the wal-mart super center, so i imagine a bigger supermarket like gaint, king cullen, or publix will be more expensive.

I'm sorry I just can't figure this one out. Let's go with your upper range of $20, that's about $3 a DAY. I just don't see how you could eat all that food each day for $3, even with extreme frugalness + coupons.

Do you grow some of your own food? Own a chicken farm?? Use food stamps? :laugh: Maybe I should try grocery shopping at walmart...

I'm sorry I just can't figure this one out. Let's go with your upper range of $20, that's about $3 a DAY. I just don't see how you could eat all that food each day for $3, even with extreme frugalness + coupons.

Do you grow some of your own food? Own a chicken farm?? Use food stamps? :laugh: Maybe I should try grocery shopping at walmart...

I don't even use coupons. The key is that the only drink i buy is store brand lemonade mix ($2 for 3 gallons). The most expensive thing to buy at the super market besides meats is drinks. I only drink 1 glass of lemonade a day at lunch. Stick to all water and you'll be spending less.

Another trick is to make dinner in bulk (like some sort of meat and potatoes dinner), eat half, and put the other half in the fridge. Presto, you have lunch the next day! It'll cost you $1-2 in extra product, but it'll go a long way.

I think $20/day is possible, I'll go dig up receipts and post my own meal info at some point.

Another trick is to make dinner in bulk (like some sort of meat and potatoes dinner), eat half, and put the other half in the fridge. Presto, you have lunch the next day! It'll cost you $1-2 in extra product, but it'll go a long way.

I think $20/day is possible, I'll go dig up receipts and post my own meal info at some point.

i actually never thought of doing this. i only do it with boil in a bag rice because it comes with 2 servings, or if i get a frozen pizza which is rare.

BTW confettiflyer, I plan on applying to TJU (#1 choice) and I think I remember reading a post saying you go there. Hopefully I get in and they pay more for CPhT in Philly then in northern PA.

Touche. Metrocard? You're in NYC?