If you know you want to be a radiologist......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fonzy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am just curious. I want to be a radiologist. I am yet to apply to med schools. I want to know that if you are sure you want to be a radiologist [neuro-radiologist], do you selct a med school for your MD accordingly? Does the school make a difference if you know what your residency is going to be in? Also, I have seen some schools have clinical training in radiology where as others don't.

Pl share your experience/views regarding your choice for school [for MD] when you already knew from the beginning that you wanted to be a radiologist]

thanks,

best

Members don't see this ad.

As a rule one should not choose a med school anticipating a particular specialty choice.First of all many starting out med students change their minds by the time they reach their last year.you may find that first hand contact with a field makes it more or less attractive to you.All med schools will give you(or should give you) the basic skills needed to pursue any residency.Radiology is taught as part of the third year clinical rotations and/or as a 4th year elective in most schools.So you will be exposed to it as a student.If you go to a med school which has a radiology residency program(the majority of medical schools in the US) you can generally arrange time..summer fellowships,electives etc to pusue your interest.