ICU rotation sites in Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truckibear

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to find information about different hospitals that offer an ICU rotation in Michigan. So far I am looking into the following hospitals: Beaumont, Botsford, Mt. Clemens, St. Joseph's, and POH. Would anyone be able to offer any information about what kind of learning experience I can expect from an ICU rotation at any of these sites? I appreciate your time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm trying to find information about different hospitals that offer an ICU rotation in Michigan. So far I am looking into the following hospitals: Beaumont, Botsford, Mt. Clemens, St. Joseph's, and POH. Would anyone be able to offer any information about what kind of learning experience I can expect from an ICU rotation at any of these sites? I appreciate your time! :)

Any reason why those sites? Beaumont I can buy, to a certain degree, but the others aren't exactly known for their ICU. Henry Ford has either the most or second ICU beds in the US and is the home of Early Goal Directed Therapy. Detroit Receiving/Harper Hospital have a fairly large and sick ICU population as well.

Well I understand that there are some good ER residencies in Michigan, which I am currently interested in. As a result, I would like some ICU exposure before solidifying whether ER is what I want to do. Also, I have had no prior experience with living in the area or with any of the hospitals in the area, which is why I would like to do my elective out there this year. Those hospitals just happen to be the ones that are already set up through my school without requiring ample paperwork and that allow 3rd years to rotate in their ICU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Btw, I heard some good things about ICU in Botsford. No?

I don't know specifically about Botsford's ICU. Botsford is not a tertiary referral center and definitely not one of the big powerhouses of medicine in Michigan.
Guessing that this is an osteopathic student since these are all EM DO programs.

Botsford has a strong IM program, top board scores every year. I haven't heard much about their ICU though (think that probably goes for most DO residency programs since they aren't "major academic/trauma" centers usually).

General info on the hospitals themselves? From what I've heard for solid teaching I'd suggest Botsford or Henry Ford. Then again, I am not a medical student or resident, I was just looking into residencies for my spouse there last year (IM). So take that info with a grain of salt. As for getting into the EM programs, search each of those hospitals and come up with your own opinions as they will vary greatly. I've heard Sparrow also thrown into that mix (MSU-COM). Wish I could give you concrete info but sadly I personally can't. I might suggest posting a question in the Clinical Rotation forum and you might get some residents lurking there to give you info as that would have more traffic. :luck:

Aww, thanks guys, I really appreciate the information!!