IBD in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrah17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m a rising M2 and I was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I have been struggling with symptoms for the last year, but I had a particularly bad flare-up a few weeks ago after M1 finals. This episode led to my diagnosis. I had a pretty cool public health internship lined up for the summer, but I had to cancel because my doctor advised that my health should be my priority and I should spend the summer getting my condition under control. Of course he’s right, but now I’m going stir crazy living at home without much to do. So I have two questions for you all:

1. Are any other med students here dealing with ulcerative colitis or crohn’s disease? How have you managed your symptoms while balancing medical school? I’m particularly concerned for when third year rolls around and I have to run to the bathroom 10 times per day.

2. Do any of you have any suggestions for how I can salvage my summer? I’m not too concerned about resume building right now, but I’d like to do something meaningful or productive just for my own sanity. I was thinking of language classes or volunteering, but I’m certainly open to recommendations!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.