I would like to know the truth about the job market in rural areas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard that a nearby pharmacy manager position in a small town of 20000 or so people in the middle of nowhere here in the Southwest got like 50 applicants. That's stunning because even a few years ago a comparable manager position would have only had a few applicants - staff would have had a lot then but nobody wants to be the manager (for good reason).

If it's within 90 minutes of Phoenix, Albuquerque, or Las Vegas I wouldn't consider it middle of nowhere

Now if you talking Douglas or Nogales just LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much more are Rx retail managers paid than staff?Are the chains still offering them bonuses?In short is it worth the extra headaches?

I make about 15-18% more than my staff pharmacists per hour but I also put in close to that amount of unpaid work over my scheduled hours just to get my job done and stay out of trouble. Our company is still offering significant bonuses which are considerably bigger for managers than staff, though they are smaller every year.

If you look at the job openings now a large proportion of them are management so that may be the price you pay to get a job. Especially if you want guaranteed hours, especially if you want them without travelling. Most new pharmacists are guaranteed less than 30 hours per week if they are not managers. I wouldn't say it's worth it but if you really want to make money and pay off your loans I wouldn't say it would be crazy to take it, just know that you are going to suffer for that extra money.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Competing for a job where you will have to hire techs among the drug-riddled masses. Nice.

Reactions: 1 user
How much more are Rx retail managers paid than staff?Are the chains still offering them bonuses?In short is it worth the extra headaches?

Not worth it. Whenever a PIC leaves, they choose a random staff Rph to become "interim" manager and they hate it.

You can make just as much by picking up shifts without all the headaches and drama.

Competing for a job where you will have to hire techs among the drug-riddled masses. Nice.
Yeah, hiring is tough and in the small towns they have obvious tweakers working for them (not in the pharmacy itself). You can't be that picky when you have very few applicants.