Other I truly need advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bassurgery

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Match day today... I matched to IM.. my 10th rank. I had 9 categorical gen surg interviews.

I am devastated. What are my options? I know that the NRMP considers your contract "complete" after 45 days. Can I look for spots that open up for categorical PGY1 surgery after July 1st? Or can I use the program that searches for open residency spots and potentially change spots any time during my IM intern year?

I know that I can reapply for the match (and I will), but can I apply for PGY2 after 1 year of IM? If I reapply for the match and don't match, does this mean that I will lose my current residency spot?

I was meant for surgery. This COVID/virtual stuff was just so difficult for me. I applied IM as a backup ONLY because of this year's abnormalities.

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Match day today... I matched to IM.. my 10th rank. I had 9 categorical gen surg interviews.

I am devastated. What are my options? I know that the NRMP considers your contract "complete" after 45 days. Can I look for spots that open up for categorical PGY1 surgery after July 1st? Or can I use the program that searches for open residency spots and potentially change spots any time during my IM intern year?

I know that I can reapply for the match (and I will), but can I apply for PGY2 after 1 year of IM? If I reapply for the match and don't match, does this mean that I will lose my current residency spot?

I was meant for surgery. This COVID/virtual stuff was just so difficult for me. I applied IM as a backup ONLY because of this year's abnormalities.

I'm sorry this happened. I also matched low on my list to a backup specialty so I know how you're feeling.

1. If you reapply through the match, or actively start looking to transfer your PD will likely fill your spot for the next July. They can usually find someone to replace you. It isn't personal, that's just how it usually goes.

2. Gen surg residencies will not count 1 year of IM as credit for surgery. You won't have enough surgical rotations to fulfill the requirements.

3. In any case, you will need to do at least 1 year of IM residency. Try to keep your head up and make the best of it! You're still a doctor, this could be a slight detour on your way to surgery, or maybe you'll find a niche in IM you enjoy and stick with it.

Reactions: 1 user

Just finish IM and do critical care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your options are to consolidate your posts into one single place on these forums, go do your IM residency, and not ask questions over and over again expecting different answers. :\

Reactions: 1 users

After one year of IM, you can enter Anesthesia followed by Interventional Pain Management to satisfy your talent in Surgery.

Your options are to consolidate your posts into one single place on these forums, go do your IM residency, and not ask questions over and over again expecting different answers. :\
Surprised they didnt pick up on the crosspost.

Why did you rank a medicine program over a prelim surgery spot?
Mourn your lost of a GS program and then be the best intern you can be...if you really want to reapply, then yes you will most likely lose the resort of your residency...only you can know if it’s worth it...9 cat GS interviews ... your application passed muster...you didn’t do well with the interview or rubbed a lot of people the wrong way... you need to figure out what that was and fix it before re applying.