I need PCAT exam help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enny

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, can someone advice me on the most effective PCAT exam practice test website to use? I have just three weeks to prepare for my PCAT in September and there are so many websites out there with charges. examples are: Pearson, crack the PCAT, brain bumps.com, exam edge and mometrix. Please, what's the best one to practice with because I have limited time?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Pearson Practice Test are the closest to the real thing. Do those first.

Reactions: 1 user
i took the free exams on nextsteptestprep and got basically the same score on the actual exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I am taking the PCAT on September 10 and I was wondering what I should expect. I have been using Dr. Collins for almost a month. Do you think that is sufficient in order to be well prepared? I am also planning on taking the Pearson practice tests soon. My biggest concern is Math and Reading at this point. I would appreciate some advice from those who have already taken the exam. Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I am taking the PCAT on September 10 and I was wondering what I should expect. I have been using Dr. Collins for almost a month. Do you think that is sufficient in order to be well prepared? I am also planning on taking the Pearson practice tests soon. My biggest concern is Math and Reading at this point. I would appreciate some advice from those who have already taken the exam. Thanks!

Take the first Pearson practice test asap. Look over your weak points, then utilize Kaplan PCAT studyguide for said points. Kaplan is a great review outline while Dr. Collins is best on applying those guidelines in test format. If you do well on Dr. Collins, then you'll have no problem with the question familiarity of the PCAT ( its the exact same style of questioning). If you study Dr. Collins real well, you'll even see some of the questions show up again on the PCAT.

After you take the first Pearson Test, take the second practice test a week later. Rinse and repeat with any weak points and light review. Then for the final practice test, take it 7 days later from the second time. By this time you'll gage very well what your range will be. Light review and as many Dr. Collins questions as possible up until 2 days before exam.

Light review for 2 hours, rest for 4 more. Then light review again with Dr. Collins problems. The day before the PCAT just relax and trust your knowledge base. Do this as directed and you'll find a higher improvement than whatever your level is at this point.

Hello everyone,

dr. collins is very good, miss the good old days

Thanks for replying!
I was looking at the Math portion of Dr. Collins and some of the questions and the way you solve them is repetitive. Do you think that knowing how to do them would help me with the actual problems on the exam?
And also what do you think would be a good competitive PCAT score? My GPA is pretty good and I am a pharmacy technician. I am doing Early Decision. Do you think that would be enough to get an interview?

Thanks for replying!
I was looking at the Math portion of Dr. Collins and some of the questions and the way you solve them is repetitive. Do you think that knowing how to do them would help me with the actual problems on the exam?

Yes.

And also what do you think would be a good competitive PCAT score? My GPA is pretty good and I am a pharmacy technician. I am doing Early Decision. Do you think that would be enough to get an interview?

PCAT is scored on how well you did with your fellow peers within a 5 year span. If everyone missed 2 questions on every topic and you only missed 1, congrats you got a 99 since you did better than 99% of your peers over a 5-year-window. To the same token if everyone missed 1 question on every topic and you missed 2, you scored a 1 since all 99% of fellow applicants did better than you.

Facts: Anything over a 50 means you did better than half of the test takers. 10-15 years ago getting a 75 or better was considered competitive.

Facts with reality: Some schools do not require the PCAT and the ones who do somehow still get people scoring around 40 or lower to land an interview with no tech experience and no bachelors.

Conclusion: Do your best, take the pearson exams and let fate handle the rest.

Hello everyone,

Hi
Have you taken your PCAT on September 10th? How was it? I am planning to take mine in november. I bought Dr Collins study guides with lots of exams and I started studying (firts math) and then I move on. Please I nned some advice. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi
Have you taken your PCAT on September 10th? How was it? I am planning to take mine in november. I bought Dr Collins study guides with lots of exams and I started studying (firts math) and then I move on. Please I nned some advice. Thanks in advance
Hi,

Yes, I took it in September. Overall it wasn't that bad. Make sure you time yourself because the time was not enough for me in math and reading. In the chemistry part I got a lot of Biochemistry and not much orgo which was unfortunate since I like organic chem, but it wasn't that hard. Biology was good, few anatomy questions, vitamins and kidney questions. The only thing I wish I would've prepared myself more for is the time. It literally goes by fast so make sure you get a good practice on that.

Hi,

Yes, I took it in September. Overall it wasn't that bad. Make sure you time yourself because the time was not enough for me in math and reading. In the chemistry part I got a lot of Biochemistry and not much orgo which was unfortunate since I like organic chem, but it wasn't that hard. Biology was good, few anatomy questions, vitamins and kidney questions. The only thing I wish I would've prepared myself more for is the time. It literally goes by fast so make sure you get a good practice on that.
Thank you for replying and Congrats. I finally decided to take my PCAT in January, so I have a little more time to study since I work fulltime.