I know very little about Neurology...whats it like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OwlMyste

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have epilepsy, and I see a Neurologist for it...but thats all that I know a neurologist to do...besides MRI's and EEG's(which I also got at the neurologists office...)...so could anyone please tell me what else a Neurologist does...? and also what's it like being on a Neurology Residency?

Members don't see this ad.

The mainstay of a neurologist's work is diagnosing disorders of the nervous system...the brain, the spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. The disorders include diseases such as epilepsy, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Lou Gherig's disease, Multiple Sclerosis, etc., as well as damage done from trauma, vascular problems (stroke, etc.), and toxic/metabolic disease.

Neurologists typically do not do any interventional things, i.e., they don't do surgery. They do read and interpret MRI, CT Scans, and X-rays, as well as specialized neurologic tests such EEG's and EMG's (EMG's test nerve conduction and the neuro-muscular junction). They tend to be excellent at taking a patient history and doing a thorough physical exam to determine a diagnosis.

Some difficulties in the field of neurology include the lack of adequate treatment for many of the disorders, and that neurologists are often required to be the bearer of bad news (brain tumor, little brain activity, terminal and untreatable disease, etc.). Compensation in neurology is not as high as other fields in which there are more interventional treatments.

Residency is four years long. First year is typically completed in internal medicine in which the hours are long and grueling. You will probably be on call every 3 days (which means you should be prepared to stay awake for 24 hours every third day although this won't always happen...by the way this is true for just about every residency for at least the first year). Hours get better and better as the residency goes along.

Easy their people.... Let's calm down before things go out of hand.... If this does not stop we, the moderators, may be force to take actions including deleting your postings as well temporarily banning you from the forum.

Let's keep it clean.

Thanks,
Popoy

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Popoy
Easy their people.... Let's calm down before things go out of hand.... If this does not stop we, the moderators, may be force to take actions including deleting your postings as well temporarily banning you from the forum.

Let's keep it clean.

Thanks,
Popoy

okay pop...will do...sorri about the outburst...long drawn out story...but will do...:)

Originally posted by mpp
Neurologists typically do not do any interventional things, i.e., they don't do surgery. They do read and interpret MRI, CT Scans, and X-rays...

Do you mean read the reports? ;)

Generally, interpretation of diagnostic radiology examinations is done by radiologists. For neuro and head and neck imaging, image interpretation is often done by radiologists who have undergone additional fellowship training in neuroradiology. Due to issues surrounding case volume, expertise and accreditation, I think this is unlikely to change in the near future. (Neuroradiology disgnoses include neurological, neurosurgical, ENT and systemic pathology)

I should add that in the hospitals I have worked at, the neurorads and neurologists have an excellent relationship -- each have different expertise to bring to bear on patient mgmt.

I guess I could have been more specific...that neurologists interpret the imaging reports generated by radiologists for the patients. However, like many specialties, neurologists can spend a lot of time looking at films. I didn't mean to step on any toes...