i failed DSC and CDCA. Do i have to repeat 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjdntlr1

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took CDCA exam on friday and i failed it (class 2).

I failed DSC two month ago and i am really worried because if i fail either DSC or CDCA one more time, i have to retake all exams (DSC + CDCA + manikins).

but my actual concern is not retaking exams but retaking 4th year in dental school.

do i have to repeat 4th year? to retake all the exams?

advice needed... :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I failed DSC two month ago and i am really worried because if i fail either DSC or CDCA one more time, i have to retake all exams (DSC + CDCA + manikins).

but my actual concern is not retaking exams but retaking 4th year in dental school.

Take another exam if you can. The CDCA are a bunch of thieves.
Does your school host other exams or did the CDCA talk $$$$$$ them out of it?
WREB offers free retakes on the third day ( it is a 2 day exam).

The CDCA's level of lack of integrity is stunning.

Their report was full of lies and mix-ups. Basically they said that I grossly over extended my prep, which is irreversible. They wouldn't take photos or radios of the tooth or let me do so. Their lies are easily verifiable by anyone who has eyes and can count. As per the runners, the didn't use loupes or graduated probes, yet, they were eye balling preps to decide what in 3 and what is 3.5 mm... etc. Add to all this that examiners were talking to each other.... It is very suspicious that they don't keep records of their so called findings.... On top of that, they treat people like they are nothing..... It is so unfortunate that our school doesn't host other exams... I think $$$ must play a role here..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Their report was full of lies and mix-ups. Basically they said that I grossly over extended my prep, which is irreversible. They wouldn't take photos or radios of the tooth or let me do so. Their lies are easily verifiable by anyone who has eyes and can count. As per the runners, the didn't use loupes or graduated probes, yet, they were eye balling preps to decide what in 3 and what is 3.5 mm... etc. Add to all this that examiners were talking to each other.... It is very suspicious that they don't keep records of their so called findings.... On top of that, they treat people like they are nothing..... It is so unfortunate that our school doesn't host other exams... I think $$$ must play a role here..
I’m sorry that was your experience- I wholeheartedly agree that our credentialing process is grossly flawed and in need of a complete revamp. That said, the folks i know of that failed the typodont section all received photos of their preps as evidenced. Not sure about how failures on the clinical exam are handled - it seems to me that they should have a responsibility to demonstrate through photo evidence how you violated the criteria.

Reactions: 2 users

Having just completed the exam and knowing everything that is ethically and functionally wrong with it, as well as believing the exam should be done away with, your claims seem a little over the top. You don't need photos or radiographs of the prep, your patient comes back to you, you can look and measure for yourself. 3 examiners have to agree that their was a critical deficiency, it's not just one individual's opinion. They seemed to be very lenient on all of the criteria, and overall the floor examiners were all cordial and encouraging. I'm sorry that it didn't go your way, but I'm assuming there was probably a reason for it. I hope all works out for you in the end, but this seems like a pretty juvenile way to handle the situation at hand. Just accept what happened, grow from it, and move on.

Hi. Thanks for your kind support.
The patient did come back indeed and I have taken photos and radiographs to prove their lies, but they won't look at them because they " could have been photoshopped". One more lie they added later to my report is that, after so grossly extending my prep, I requested permission for further extension !!!! They even claim they have an extension request signed by me but can't show it me because it's confidential !!!!
Their criteria are so lax that, if adhered to by the examiners, no one would fail. In fact, I used to think that you have to butcher your patient in order to fail the prep part.
The examiners, on the other hand, aren't always as lax.
3 examiners were talking to each other, as per my patient, which is a violation of their own protocol.
The reason for it could be that, because of a computer glitch earlier that morning, which grossly delayed my exam, I was the last candidate. They could have decided to abort my exam just to go home.
their appeal process is so unfair that, if you do as much as register to retake the exam, you lose your appeal!
My reaction has more to do with the way I was treated when I contacted them than with the actual results of the exam. It is one thing to be dishonest and another thing when you add rudeness and haughtiness to the mixture..

Having just completed the exam and knowing everything that is ethically and functionally wrong with it, as well as believing the exam should be done away with, your claims seem a little over the top. You don't need photos or radiographs of the prep, your patient comes back to you, you can look and measure for yourself. 3 examiners have to agree that their was a critical deficiency, it's not just one individual's opinion. They seemed to be very lenient on all of the criteria, and overall the floor examiners were all cordial and encouraging. I'm sorry that it didn't go your way, but I'm assuming there was probably a reason for it. I hope all works out for you in the end, but this seems like a pretty juvenile way to handle the situation at hand. Just accept what happened, grow from it, and move on.

Last edited:
I know that the majority of candidates pass with no problems, but that's how most scams work. Think of it like committing insurance fraud. Not every patient will receive unnecessary treatment, but every now and then, someone will....

Last edited:
Hi.
Did you try to get previous exam questions from you classmates?
Those can be very helpful.
Good luck.

A few students from my school were failed, and only until they called to find out why, did they get notified that a mistake was made and a new result would be submitted. We knew something was wrong when they refunded the first batch of students their money.

You get 3 attempts for each section before you have to repeat the whole examination.

That is outright cheating.
I didn't use them myself but I know a lot of people did. They said those were released questions, but I don't know. If you think those are unreleased questions, better not use them.

A few students from my school were failed, and only until they called to find out why, did they get notified that a mistake was made and a new result would be submitted. We knew something was wrong when they refunded the first batch of students their money.

They refund exams when there is a procedural error on their part, but they never admit to making clinical mistakes, obviously they think they are above that. What happened with me might not even be a mistake. Their report is so fundamentally full of lies. One of the most annoying lies is that I requested an extension without clinical justification which is a critical deficiency in and of itself that would have resulted in failure anyways. They claim they have the request, initialed by me, but can't show it to me! All in all, I am convinced that the examiners, the captain, the chief, and the heads of this mafia have no honor. No one wants to know what actually happened or contact the patient to verify. They don't mind that their examiners have committed fraud. They are here after our money, that's all.

Licensure exams have nothing to do with your graduation. You will get your degree as long as you have completed all requirements.

Did they explain to you why you failed class 2 ?