i don't know how to swim. can i still join navy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLuvDAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a swimming pool on a ship that someone could practice swimming?

Members don't see this ad.

is there a swimming pool on a ship that someone could practice swimming?
Don't worry about swimming too much. I hate swimming and could barely swim when I joined the Navy. At OIS (officer training school for us) there is also a remedial swimming class for those who need it. We had a few who cried and refused to jump in the water, but by the end, they were all fine. They did have to wake up at 430 every morning for 2 weeks to go swimming. I don't know anyone who dropped out or failed swimming at the end of OIS.

Don't worry about swimming too much. I hate swimming and could barely swim when I joined the Navy. At OIS (officer training school for us) there is also a remedial swimming class for those who need it. We had a few who refused to jump in the water, and by the end, they were fine. I don't know anyone who dropped out or failed swimming at the end of OIS.

thanks deep impact. good to hear that

There were a couple guys in my class who couldn't swim or float. They still graduated but I imagine it was a little embarrasing. When I signed up for the Navy, I paid for private lessons and then practiced my rear off before going to OIS. Most schools have swimming pools that are included in your tuition. Just go a few times a week before training. It's the Navy. You probably want to know how to swim.