MPH I don't have a life science background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineering-guy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently asked on Reddit and have a couple of reassuring answers regarding my background, but I want to have answers from a few more people.

I'm a Canadian who is interested in, but undecided about, returning home to Asia to work. For the past 6 years, I've worked as an engineer, but I received a life-changing injury on the job almost 3 years ago and I've decided that a career in healthcare is something that I'd be interested in pursuing. I have the quantitative background and a personal drive, but I lack the life science background, although I have taken courses on biology, environmental science, and finance, so hopefully these will help my case. In addition, I have a lot of international work experience and I'm multilingual, but maybe that doesn't really matter.

Because I still have to attend treatment sessions here in Canada, I won't be able to study full time. I do not wish to waste any more time since I have no idea how much longer I will need to remain in place before I can be discharged, so I've looked into a few online part-time programs that I can hopefully attend this year. Of course, I'd like to attend schools with a strong reputation, particularly Edinburgh, Sheffield, and LSHTM, but I'm probably not competitive enough, especially since I do not have healthcare-related work experience (in the meantime, I'm looking into HSE types of work within the company).

How competitive do you think I'll be in general? I think my quantitative background will help me if I pursue the epidemiology path.

What about some of the best MPH programs? Will I even be looked at?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about the top MPH programs, but worth a shot. I think your quantitative background would be competitive in almost any concentration (epi, biostats, health management...). Maybe not the closest fit to a health promotion track, but I'm sure you'd be competitive there as well.