I didn't realize CASPer results are only valid for one cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
So, I I didn't realize CASPer results are only valid for one cycle? I'm a nontrad, and a school I applied to had a deadline for Sept. 24 to take the exam? The e-mail I received made it look like my results were still valid, and I found out the CASPer website says it's only valid for one cycle recently? I'm worried now because it seems one school I applied to may not consider my application because of this for this cycle? Has anyone had a similar sort of situation and have any advice at all on how to get through this please?

Another school even marked my application complete with my old results, so that made it seem to me like my results were valid and good for all schools I applied to? The admissions lady I talked to for the school said my application is even "complete" before I mentioned it and probably wouldn't have said anything, if I hadn't even mentioned it??? SIIIIGGGGHHHHHH..... Thank you all so much for all of your time, insight, and assistance. It is all greatly appreciated!!! .....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody,
So, I I didn't realize CASPer results are only valid for one cycle? I'm a nontrad, and a school I applied to had a deadline for Sept. 24 to take the exam? The e-mail I received made it look like my results were still valid, and I found out the CASPer website says it's only valid for one cycle recently? I'm worried now because it seems one school I applied to may not consider my application because of this for this cycle? Has anyone had a similar sort of situation and have any advice at all on how to get through this please?

Another school even marked my application complete with my old results, so that made it seem to me like my results were valid and good for all schools I applied to? The admissions lady I talked to for the school said my application is even "complete" before I mentioned it and probably wouldn't have said anything, if I hadn't even mentioned it??? SIIIIGGGGHHHHHH..... Thank you all so much for all of your time, insight, and assistance. It is all greatly appreciated!!! .....
??? I'm not a CASPer expert, but, by any chance, did you previously apply to the school that marked you complete, but not the other one? If so, the obvious answer would be that the reapplication school still has your results from last year and is using them, while the new school did not receive your results last year and will not receive them now since CASPer doesn't carry tests from one year to the next. Is this maybe what happened?

It seems like you might be confusing CASPer, which is run by an outside company, with the MCAT, which is run by AAMC. AAMC test results are available to all AMCAS schools forever. On the other hand, how can CASPer results be good for schools that haven't received them if CASPer won't send them, and you don't even know what they are???

Reactions: 1 user
??? I'm not a CASPer expert, but, by any chance, did you previously apply to the school that marked you complete, but not the other one? If so, the obvious answer would be that the reapplication school still has your results from last year and is using them, while the new school did not receive your results last year and will not receive them now since CASPer doesn't carry tests from one year to the next. Is this maybe what happened?

It seems like you might be confusing CASPer, which is run by an outside company, with the MCAT, which is run by AAMC. AAMC test results are available to all AMCAS schools forever. On the other hand, how can CASPer results be good for schools that haven't received them if CASPer won't send them, and you don't even know what they are???
Yes, both schools I applied to last cycle! However, it seems that the scores are only "valid" for one cycle? One of the schools is giving me a hard time, but the other seems like it's just using the previous cycle's results? Yes..... I REALLY hope what you're saying is the case my friend!!!

Yes, both schools I applied to last cycle! However, it seems that the scores are only "valid" for one cycle? One of the schools is giving me a hard time, but the other seems like it's just using the previous cycle's results? Yes..... I REALLY hope what you're saying is the case my friend!!!
Oh, so they're both reapplications! So what are you going to do about the school that is insisting on a retake even though the deadline has passed? I strongly suggest you beg them for an exception, if you haven't already, since you didn't know and they do, after all, have last year's results. The alternative is going to be kissing that school goodbye, in which case, the least they could do is refund your secondary fee if they are going to be sticklers about something as stupid as this! :cool:

Good luck with this -- CASPer in general is BS, but a case like this, where they actually have the score but won't let you use it because it is "expired" after a whole year is super BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just another way to financially exploit pre-meds and their (often) wealthy families. Most medical students are from higher socioeconomic environments, and lower income students have an uphill climb to medical school acceptance. Schools shouldn't be making the process even more expensive and complicated.

Yes. My understanding is that your Casper score is really just a Z score compared to everyone else from that cycle. Every new cycle is a new cohort.