This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothSleuth_93

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for those of you who got rejected or are still waiting for an acceptance letter for this dental school application cycle and don't know what to do next...

I am currently a third year dental student at the Kornberg School of Dentistry of Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. After getting rejected during my first application cycle, I was invited to apply to the Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program at Temple University. Without hesitation I took the offer and was admitted as a post-baccalaureate student. In short, this 10 month program (Thats right! You don't have to take an additional gap year - apply to the next cycle straight out of this program) helped me improve my DAT, GPA and shadowing hours, the three most important statistics of any dental application, all while in a dental school setting. The program combines pre-dental science courses as well as dental assisting, pre-clinical, and clinical coursework. My experience in this program was undeniably unique and captured the eyes and attention of many dental admissions committees the following cycle. I applied to dental school for the 2nd time more confident in myself, I had a greater foundational knowledge of dentistry, and I know that I wouldn't be where I am today without this program.

I want to let all applicants know, whether you are waiting for an acceptance letter and would like a back-up plan, or you are stuck on a stagnant admissions waitlist, or you have been rejected from all your top choices that the Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Baccalaureate program at Temple University is accepting applicants. This 5 year old program has been unbelievably successful in getting applicants admitted to the schools of their dreams. You do not need to have applied to Temple Dental School's DMD program to apply to the post-baccalaureate program. For more information on this incredible opportunity, visit https://dentistry.temple.edu/pb. If you are interested in applying to the post-baccalaureate program please click on the link to register at https://forms.gle/VtJXW26b9LpyYso99 as well as email your AADSAS application to [email protected].

Interested in Temple's Post-Baccalaureate Program but want to know more? Please PM me or reply to this thread and I am more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. Good luck to you all!

- 3rd Year Dental Student at Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This thread is for those of you who got rejected or are still waiting for an acceptance letter for this dental school application cycle and don't know what to do next...

My name is John and I am currently a third year dental student at the Kornberg School of Dentistry of Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. After getting rejected during my first application cycle, I was invited to apply to the Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program at Temple University. Without hesitation I took the offer and was admitted as a post-baccalaureate student. In short, this 10 month program (Thats right! You don't have to take an additional gap year - apply to the next cycle straight out of this program) helped me improve my DAT, GPA and shadowing hours, the three most important statistics of any dental application, all while in a dental school setting. The program combines pre-dental science courses as well as dental assisting, pre-clinical, and clinical coursework. My experience in this program was undeniably unique and captured the eyes and attention of many dental admissions committees the following cycle. I applied to dental school for the 2nd time more confident in myself, I had a greater foundational knowledge of dentistry, and I know that I wouldn't be where I am today without this program.

I want to let all applicants know, whether you are waiting for an acceptance letter and would like a back-up plan, or you are stuck on a stagnant admissions waitlist, or you have been rejected from all your top choices that the Kornberg School of Dentistry Post-Baccalaureate program at Temple University is accepting applicants. This 5 year old program has been unbelievably successful in getting applicants admitted to the schools of their dreams. You do not need to have applied to Temple Dental School's DMD program to apply to the post-baccalaureate program. For more information on this incredible opportunity, visit https://dentistry.temple.edu/pb. If you are interested in applying to the post-baccalaureate program please click on the link to register at https://forms.gle/VtJXW26b9LpyYso99 as well as email your AADSAS application to [email protected].

Interested in Temple's Post-Baccalaureate Program but want to know more? Please PM me or reply to this thread and I am more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. Good luck to you all!

- John
3rd Year Dental Student at Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry
What were ur stats? Do I have to do a post-bacc at Temple. I am doing now a informal post-bacc to pull my science gpa to above 3.1 and my overall above 3.0 with 51 credit hours in total of my post-bacc informal. Doing a post bacc at Temple cost a lot of money so my dad cannot afford so that is why I am doing a informal post bacc non-degree taking classes that I did not do so well in my undergrad. My post bacc gpa would be by the end of 1st summer would be close to a 3.9. So am I on the right track???? Keep me posted.

The real question is how much did Temple pay you to post this?

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What were ur stats? Do I have to do a post-bacc at Temple. I am doing now a informal post-bacc to pull my science gpa to above 3.1 and my overall above 3.0 with 51 credit hours in total of my post-bacc informal. Doing a post bacc at Temple cost a lot of money so my dad cannot afford so that is why I am doing a informal post bacc non-degree taking classes that I did not do so well in my undergrad. My post bacc gpa would be by the end of 1st summer would be close to a 3.9. So am I on the right track???? Keep me posted.

Good questions! The Temple post-bacc is unique in that it allows you to increase your DAT score, GPA and shadowing hours all at the same time while being in a dental school. The program's tuition is definitely a commitment; however, focus on the long-term, in the end, the amount that you pay for the post-bacc is a monetary 'drop in the bucket' compared to what dental schools cost for 4 years of tuition. There are plenty of loan options that are available to you as well.

You are definitely on the right track. My pre-post-bacc stats were 19 DAT, 3.3 science GPA, 3.5 cumulative GPA. After the post-bacc, my stats were 22 DAT, 3.88 science GPA, 3.90 cumulative GPA. The Temple Post-Bacc program gives you a more structured and direct route to improving exactly what you think is necessary to get into dental school! Trying to improve all three aspects of your AADSAS independently often ends up costing the same as a post-bacc program. Think about it... Keep up the good work my friend.

They've extended the deadline for this program 3 times already this cycle...talk about desperate

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Good questions! The Temple post-bacc is unique in that it allows you to increase your DAT score, GPA and shadowing hours all at the same time while being in a dental school. The program's tuition is definitely a commitment; however, focus on the long-term, in the end, the amount that you pay for the post-bacc is a monetary 'drop in the bucket' compared to what dental schools cost for 4 years of tuition. There are plenty of loan options that are available to you as well.

You are definitely on the right track. My pre-post-bacc stats were 19 DAT, 3.3 science GPA, 3.5 cumulative GPA. After the post-bacc, my stats were 22 DAT, 3.88 science GPA, 3.90 cumulative GPA. The Temple Post-Bacc program gives you a more structured and direct route to improving exactly what you think is necessary to get into dental school! Trying to improve all three aspects of your AADSAS independently often ends up costing the same as a post-bacc program. Think about it... Keep up the good work my friend.

Wait a second.. You mean to tell me you brought your 3.5 cumulative GPA after 4+ years of undergraduate work up to a 3.9 after a 10 month program? Did you take 40 units a semester or do they give 5.0 GPAs?

Reactions: 1 user
Wait a second.. You mean to tell me you brought your 3.5 cumulative GPA after 4+ years of undergraduate work up to a 3.9 after a 10 month program? Did you take 40 units a semester or do they give 5.0 GPAs?
No, not quite. That was my Post-Bacc GPA only... Because classes are so dental-focused and similar to ones you take in dental school a lot of the schools give a strong weight to your Post-Bacc GPA when re-applying to DMD programs.

Do you have to already applied to dental school and get rejected to apply for this postbacc?

I am currently a third year dental student at the Kornberg School of Dentistry of Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. After getting rejected during my first application cycle, I was invited to apply to the Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program at Temple University. Without hesitation I took the offer and was admitted as a post-baccalaureate student. In short, this 10 month program (Thats right! You don't have to take an additional gap year - apply to the next cycle straight out of this program) helped me improve my DAT, GPA and shadowing hours, the three most important statistics of any dental application, all while in a dental school setting. The program combines pre-dental science courses as well as dental assisting, pre-clinical, and clinical coursework. My experience in this program was undeniably unique and captured the eyes and attention of many dental admissions committees the following cycle. I applied to dental school for the 2nd time more confident in myself, I had a greater foundational knowledge of dentistry, and I know that I wouldn't be where I am today without this program.

I checked the website and it states " Applicants who have applied to a dental school through the American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) are eligible to be considered for this program." Therefore, you can only apply to this if you applied to Kornberg.

Do you have to already applied to dental school and get rejected to apply for this postbacc?
This year, the administration has changed the application process. 1) You do NOT have to have applied to Temple's DMD program to apply to the post-bacc program you will just need to send your AADSAS application and fill out the form like the original post states. 2) If you did not apply to a dental school and do not have an AADSAS application, you can still apply you will just need to send electronic copies of transcripts, DAT scores, personal statement, etc... and a $75.00 application fee to the email listed above and fill out the form provided with the link. I hope this helps clarify. Let me know if you still have questions.

This year, the administration has changed the application process. 1) You do NOT have to have applied to Temple's DMD program to apply to the post-bacc program you will just need to send your AADSAS application and fill out the form like the original post states. 2) If you did not apply to a dental school and do not have an AADSAS application, you can still apply you will just need to send electronic copies of transcripts, DAT scores, personal statement, etc... and a $75.00 application fee to the email listed above and fill out the form provided with the link. I hope this helps clarify. Let me know if you still have questions.
Can an applicant apply and plan to take the DAT after the application? Is there a webpage with this new information or a directors email with whom we can communicate with?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I still apply to other dental schools after completing this program, or is temple gonna be my only choice?

Can I still apply to other dental schools after completing this program, or is temple gonna be my only choice?

Absolutely! You are actually encouraged to apply to other schools as well as Temple. I believe the program now has DMD students in 25-30 dental schools around the country and internationally.

OP. How much debt are you in? Post bacc is roughly $35k tuition for 10 months without living so figure another $25k for living and that is $60k without any interest for 10 months.... on top of Temple Dental school that is roughly $60k a year just tuition (without living expenses figure another $25k with no interest)....

Better advice guys. Go to community college and knock out pre-reqs. Shadow in your community and live with your parents. Shoot for public school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You can do a 1 year post-bac much cheaper. I did a 2 year master's program, which cost me $10k the first year, that I was able to pull straight from savings and pay for, and the second year I had grants for my research and didn't pay a dime.

You can do the Temple CST post bac for HALF the cost of the Temple Kornberg post bac (28k vs 41k). Cheers

Hi! Can you please share what the interview process was like for the post-bacc program?

Yeah, good question. The recorded interview will be with you and an administrator I believe and it will more or less be a chance for you to prove your worth to the administrators and show that you are a good fit for the program. I think you will also be given an opportunity to speak to anything that is not on your AADSAS application that you think will improve your chances. I interviewed three years ago so I'm not quite sure what the interview process is like anymore. Hopefully this helps.

The tuition is insane at Temple University. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other schools that had this type of program? I haven't heard of any yet, but I was looking to see if there were any that were a bit more affordable.

The tuition is insane at Temple University. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other schools that had this type of program? I haven't heard of any yet, but I was looking to see if there were any that were a bit more affordable.

I am not too sure if it would be considered affordable but Midwestern (IL and AZ) and Western have their master program that is somewhat link to their dental schools.

I am not too sure if it would be considered affordable but Midwestern (IL and AZ) and Western have their master program that is somewhat link to their dental schools.

I applied at Temple anyway and I got offered an interview. Do you have any interview tips? It's going to end up being on zoom :/

I applied at Temple anyway and I got offered an interview. Do you have any interview tips? It's going to end up being on zoom :/

I interviewed and was accepted back in 2018. Tbh, I do not think interview plays a big role in admission because I personally thought I did terrible. We had 10 mins to answer a series of questions with a faculty member while being recorded. I didn't get to fully answer any of the question because he kept cutting me off to move on to the next one. I rec' you look for other alternative and more AFFORDABLE option. I am just glad that I didn't go on with this post bacc because at the end, I was still able to get accepted to dental schools. So just remember ANY post bacc/ master will get you in dental schools.

[/QUOT
Can you please send me your undergraduate stats ?

You can do a 1 year post-bac much cheaper. I did a 2 year master's program, which cost me $10k the first year, that I was able to pull straight from savings and pay for, and the second year I had grants for my research and didn't pay a dime.

Hello, where did you do your master's degree ?if you don't mind me asking

Where did you do your 2 years master's degree?

What exactly do you mean by "at the same time while being in a dental school?"

Do you enjoy the environment? Is the area dangerous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk