I am American who did BSc in UK but wants to do Med in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IvySansk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an American citizen who did my entire 3 year Biomedical Sciences (BSc) in university in London, but I want to continue medical school in the States. A problem I keep running into is the timing of everything, because we graduate mid-way through July and therefore I only get my finalized transcript then. However, my goal was to have applied to US med schools long before that (in June). Has anyone else gone through this or have experience or advice for a similar situation? I'm open to hear anything, even a few words of well-placed encouragement.
I would not be an 'international' student seeing as I am actually American, my problem is just converting my UK degree (and its corresponding grades) to the US equivalent, without American admissions offices thinking I failed classes by getting a 65 when it is really an upper second (2:1).
Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck! I did a similar thing, applying from a 3 yr BSc to medical school in Canada. However, the school only required most recent transcripts, so only the first 2 years of my degree were included. I don't know how it works in the US, but I'd imagine you could potentially ask the UK if you could get your transcript sooner due to special circumstances? If not, you might need to take a year out. It seems like most US medical schools want a 4 yr bachelor's degree and have pre-reqs don't they?

Reactions: 1 user