Hypothetical MCAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is better?

• 510 sub 125 subsection

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 508 balanced, all above 125

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Dr.Cut.em.up

Do not seek the treasure!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just for the sake of arguement, would it be better to have a score of 510 with one subsection below 125 or a 508 with all subsections above 125?

Members don't see this ad.

I think 124 is getting down into screening territory for some schools, so I'd take the latter.

For old folks this is like asking something like 12/11/8 vs 10/10/10

I'd take the 510 with a 124 (because that's close to my situation lol). But idk, there's something about going to the 510's level as well. I think it would be dependent of which subject you got the <125

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Which section would be the "best" one to have the lowest score? CARS or Psy/Soc?

It is best to not have any one section be markedly lower than the others. As discussed by myself & @efle in another thread if this must be the case you'd be best off having a total score of 515+. Admissions is so selective these days that anything could be used a justification for rejection/lack of interview.

The scenario mentioned in OP is basically negligible in difference. 124 vs. 125 isn't the end of the world, and 508 vs. 510 are both meh scores that won't alter adcom perceptions.

I had a 124 and got 9 MD interviews so I think it's okay

Reactions: 1 users