General Admissions & OTCAS Hybrid A&P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellaot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm needing to retake anatomy and physiology. My community college offers it but I have a full time job that is also beneficial to my application that I wouldn't be able to keep. The regular class would be ten weeks from 8 AM to 1 PM MTWF so that only leaves thursday and a few hours the other days. They do have a hybrid option that only meets twice a week but I know some schools are picky about online courses. Since this isn't entirely online I'm wondering if it would be a better option. Anyone have experience with OT schools and hybrid classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm needing to retake anatomy and physiology. My community college offers it but I have a full time job that is also beneficial to my application that I wouldn't be able to keep. The regular class would be ten weeks from 8 AM to 1 PM MTWF so that only leaves thursday and a few hours the other days. They do have a hybrid option that only meets twice a week but I know some schools are picky about online courses. Since this isn't entirely online I'm wondering if it would be a better option. Anyone have experience with OT schools and hybrid classes?

I took some online courses like stats and medical terminology. I think I had some "hybrid" courses that didn't show up like that on my transcript. With A&P, I wouldn't have wanted to take it online... I relied heavily on in-person study groups and open lab to learn the material. Being online would have made it harder to get to know people. Study groups like this are also good because of how much group work you'll do in OT school.

Since the job is a big deal, find out what portion of the course is online (if it's the lab, I'd say no... you probably want a cadaver or animal lab) and call the schools you want to apply to and ask how they feel about a hybrid A&P course/what their expectations are.

But know all your options... I ended up doing A&P through night and weekend courses, and I took courses at a bunch of schools in the area, dependent on which school had the most convenient time offering. Maybe look around if there are other community or 4-year colleges around you.

I did hybrid biology and it was the hardest thing ever. We only met for reviews and tests. I basically had to teach myself the material, and science is one of those where you do better when someone narrows the material down. I would never take A&P without lecture..

Members don't see this ad :)
I took some online courses like stats and medical terminology. I think I had some "hybrid" courses that didn't show up like that on my transcript. With A&P, I wouldn't have wanted to take it online... I relied heavily on in-person study groups and open lab to learn the material. Being online would have made it harder to get to know people. Study groups like this are also good because of how much group work you'll do in OT school.

Since the job is a big deal, find out what portion of the course is online (if it's the lab, I'd say no... you probably want a cadaver or animal lab) and call the schools you want to apply to and ask how they feel about a hybrid A&P course/what their expectations are.

But know all your options... I ended up doing A&P through night and weekend courses, and I took courses at a bunch of schools in the area, dependent on which school had the most convenient time offering. Maybe look around if there are other community or 4-year colleges around you.

Yeah that makes sense. Unfortunately where I am it is the only community college and we have one four year college but neither have great options as far as time goes.

I think it all depends. As someone else mentioned, I don't think it will show up on a transcript as a hybrid course. I'm currently in the same boat. I work full time and I'm taking prereqs including A&P. My course is a hybrid and I actually enjoy it! We meet once a week for 2.5hrs (6-8:30pm) where we do mostly lab projects, practicals, and take exams. The professor gives us an opportunity to ask questions and address issues regarding lectures (which are found online). Many of the homework assignments and study materials are online. It's great for people with time constraints and gives you more flexibility. I still feel that I'm learning just as much if not more as I would being in a traditional class setting. Hope that helps!

I think it all depends. As someone else mentioned, I don't think it will show up on a transcript as a hybrid course. I'm currently in the same boat. I work full time and I'm taking prereqs including A&P. My course is a hybrid and I actually enjoy it! We meet once a week for 2.5hrs (6-8:30pm) where we do mostly lab projects, practicals, and take exams. The professor gives us an opportunity to ask questions and address issues regarding lectures (which are found online). Many of the homework assignments and study materials are online. It's great for people with time constraints and gives you more flexibility. I still feel that I'm learning just as much if not more as I would being in a traditional class setting. Hope that helps!

Thank you, that is super helpful!

Reactions: 1 user