Hunter with high-level SCI opts to refuse ventilator support on day #1 post-SCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanvin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was an article in the purple Journal (Oct 2011) which discussed this topic and subsequently did a lot shape my practice. In it, the authors argue that to make this sort of end of life decision, you need to be competent, and that you really do not understand the scope of what your life could be like so soon after an acute injury (and thus, foreseeably, are not making an informed decision). 1 day in the ED and ICU to inform such a decision seems reckless in my opinion (as I might argue that even 4 months is).

There was an article in the purple Journal (Oct 2011) which discussed this topic and subsequently did a lot shape my practice. In it, the authors argue that to make this sort of end of life decision, you need to be competent, and that you really do not understand the scope of what your life could be like so soon after an acute injury (and thus, foreseeably, are not making an informed decision). 1 day in the ED and ICU to inform such a decision seems reckless in my opinion (as I might argue that even 4 months is).

I have not read the article you mentioned but I will look for it.

It is a difficult situation with no easy answer. According to the news reports, the patient had previously discussed some basic advanced directives with family members, indicating among other things that he would not want to live in a wheelchair. We may agree or disagree with this perspective, or may think it is uninformed. But the patient is entitled to his perspective nonetheless. He made it known to his family, and they made the very difficult decision to honor his wishes (likely setting aside their own, aka- substituted judgment) and woke him up to clarify his directives again before proceeding with further heroic measures. We don't have to agree with his decision to honor it.

As for making an informed decision, it sounds like his decision was informed by his pre-morbid values. A life changing event such as this might shake those values, and given the opportunity it is appropriate to clarify his wishes given his new situation. They did this, but he declined further treatment or life support. There are several ethical principles at play, but primary among them (in my opinion) is Autonomy. In this case, his physicians are seeking his informed consent to continue artificial ventilation and proceed with aggressive treatment. Among the alternatives to treatment there is always the option to do nothing, which carries its own potential risks/benefits. Given the opportunity to consent to this treatment, he declined.

If for any reason he was deemed incompetent, based on the ethical principles of beneficence and non-maleficence his physicians may be justified in continuing his treatment in spite of his wishes. If he has a designated healthcare proxy, the physicians would next take direction from that person. If not, it would fall to the the local hierarchy of decision making. Typically it is: spouse, parents, adult children, siblings, other family members, close friends, and then physicians. But each state has its own unique order. I don't know the order in Indiana.

It is natural to want to assist this patient through this difficult transition with an eye towards the future where we envision him appreciating life even within the context of his new limitations. This is what physiatrists do. But force-ventilating a competent but paralyzed patient against his wishes and in spite of his family's attempt to honor his values sounds akin to medicalized torture, is perhaps more horrifying than the alternative, and ultimately seems unethical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not read the article you mentioned but I will look for it.

It is a difficult situation with no easy answer. According to the news reports, the patient had previously discussed some basic advanced directives with family members, indicating among other things that he would not want to live in a wheelchair. We may agree or disagree with this perspective, or may think it is uninformed. But the patient is entitled to his perspective nonetheless. He made it known to his family, and they made the very difficult decision to honor his wishes (likely setting aside their own, aka- substituted judgment) and woke him up to clarify his directives again before proceeding with further heroic measures. We don't have to agree with his decision to honor it.

As for making an informed decision, it sounds like his decision was informed by his pre-morbid values. A life changing event such as this might shake those values, and given the opportunity it is appropriate to clarify his wishes given his new situation. They did this, but he declined further treatment or life support. There are several ethical principles at play, but primary among them (in my opinion) is Autonomy. In this case, his physicians are seeking his informed consent to continue artificial ventilation and proceed with aggressive treatment. Among the alternatives to treatment there is always the option to do nothing, which carries its own potential risks/benefits. Given the opportunity to consent to this treatment, he declined.

If for any reason he was deemed incompetent, based on the ethical principles of beneficence and non-maleficence his physicians may be justified in continuing his treatment in spite of his wishes. If he has a designated healthcare proxy, the physicians would next take direction from that person. If not, it would fall to the the local hierarchy of decision making. Typically it is: spouse, parents, adult children, siblings, other family members, close friends, and then physicians. But each state has its own unique order. I don't know the order in Indiana.

It is natural to want to assist this patient through this difficult transition with an eye towards the future where we envision him appreciating life even within the context of his new limitations. This is what physiatrists do. But force-ventilating a competent but paralyzed patient against his wishes and in spite of his family's attempt to honor his values sounds akin to medicalized torture, is perhaps more horrifying than the alternative, and ultimately seems unethical.

After reading the article I am fine with the outcome of this situation. For example, even in the best case scenario he's almost certainly going to be wheel chair dependent for the rest of his life (which was a deal breaker for the patient). My main concern is the precedence that this may set. In any unusual, life or death situation where there is the possibility of waiting, I would have liked to have seen a psychologist or ethics committee involved. If only for a second opinion or to assess for underlying depression, etc. We should respect his wishes, but also take a breath before he ends his life.

I'd ask for my plug to be pulled on Day 1 for C6 or above ASIA A. I'm also a DNR for GCS<9 at 48hrs post-op for TBI.
I have discussed this exact issue with my friend our local neurosurgeon. I have an advanced directive that says no intubation or any supportive care if GCS <9 on PRESENTATION to the ED. I have absolutely no difficulty with this person's decision.