HPSP podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted949200

Okay so I’ve heard SO MANY mixed information about HPSP scholarship now. Does anybody have any actual factual information. Even recruiters don’t know! I’ve contacted multiple recruiters and they’ve all told me different things. I now have a meeting with a navy recruiters next week to start the HPSP application... but is he just misinformed too? Any information is greatly appreciated. Even podiatry schools websites are not updated too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so I’ve heard SO MANY mixed information about HPSP scholarship now. Does anybody have any actual factual information. Even recruiters don’t know! I’ve contacted multiple recruiters and they’ve all told me different things. I now have a meeting with a navy recruiters next week to start the HPSP application... but is he just misinformed too? Any information is greatly appreciated. Even podiatry schools websites are not updated too.

Airforce has literally one scholarship usually. Some years they don't offer it. They have the last few as I understand.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey, PM me and we can chat about this. Have you already started your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since podiatrist got recognized as physicians and surgeons at the federal level just last year (by recent legislation), changes haven't yet happened within the armed forces. DPMs are still considered Allied Health (Air Force) and Medical Service Corp (Navy), and thus not eligible for HPSP. This is why there is only one scholarship available per branch each fiscal year for the entire nation.

Since podiatrist got recognized as physicians and surgeons at the federal level just last year (by recent legislation), changes haven't yet happened within the armed forces. DPMs are still considered Allied Health (Air Force) and Medical Service Corp (Navy), and thus not eligible for HPSP. This is why there is only one scholarship available per branch each fiscal year for the entire nation.

There’s 3 for the navy this year! I’m not sure about the other branches

Hey, how do you know there are 3 Navy scholarships this year? I couldn’t find a conclusive answer. Please PM me if you can!

Hi there. You’re private so it would not let me PM you.
I know that there’s 3 HPSP for the Navy this year because I have started my application process and asked my recruiter. The internet literally never said anything else about it. I’m not sure about the other branches.
If you’re applying for the HPSP for Navy, please refer me (Desiree Major out of San Francisco). You get a bonus for getting people to apply (if chosen).

Hi there. You’re private so it would not let me PM you.
I know that there’s 3 HPSP for the Navy this year because I have started my application process and asked my recruiter. The internet literally never said anything else about it. I’m not sure about the other branches.
If you’re applying for the HPSP for Navy, please refer me (Desiree Major out of San Francisco). You get a bonus for getting people to apply (if chosen).

Thanks for letting me know! I tried to PM you too, but you’re also private. Did your local recruiter give you the application?

Thanks for letting me know! I tried to PM you too, but you’re also private. Did your local recruiter give you the application?

The recruiter works through the whole process with you... it’s more work than applying for pod school/anything else I’ve ever had to do. There’s a ton of paperwork.
Application isn’t due til May

The recruiter works through the whole process with you... it’s more work than applying for pod school/anything else I’ve ever had to do. There’s a ton of paperwork.
Application isn’t due til May

did you end up getting one?

I looked into this and found out you need a 500+ MCAT, which a lot of people here are probably under or near (like me), so don't even bother if you don't.

I've contacted the USAF and they only have 3 year HPSP for Podiatry students... Meaning you must apply as an incoming 1st year. The application opens in the May and ends in November from what I heard. With Podiatrists' eventual transfer to the Medical Corps, hopefully more HPSP spots, increase in pay, and overall expansion of what Podiatrists can do (in the military) occurs.

I am however abit concerned of how residency and payback provision works... Will they force VA residencies (not ideal for those who are interested in heavy surgery) and what type of tasks can USAF resident trained podiatrists do (procedures, surgeries, limitations, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think it is a good choice financially in addition to serving the country?

Do you guys think it is a good choice financially in addition to serving the country?

IMO it is a great opportunity and an honor to serve your country while getting the benefits of the HPSP.
The main issue will be funds available at the time you apply and your eligibility to receive these benefits.
Speak to a recruiter directly if you are interested.

IDK if this applies to only specific VAs, but I reached out to the northport VA this past month and they got back to me today:

currently the VA has no HPSP for Podiatry at this time

Also, I contacted USAF recently and they said the Scholarship is only available for active duty, not reserve.
I've contacted the USAF and they only have 3 year HPSP for Podiatry students... Meaning you must apply as an incoming 1st year. The application opens in the May and ends in November from what I heard. With Podiatrists' eventual transfer to the Medical Corps, hopefully more HPSP spots, increase in pay, and overall expansion of what Podiatrists can do (in the military) occurs.

I am however abit concerned of how residency and payback provision works... Will they force VA residencies (not ideal for those who are interested in heavy surgery) and what type of tasks can USAF resident trained podiatrists do (procedures, surgeries, limitations, etc)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile

Where can I find more information regarding this other than recruiters? When you guys say there's only 3 HPSP for this year, are you saying that they're only accepting 3 application from the entire pool?

New here and researching for my daughter who is in the interview process with several schools, but I am retired military and ran an ROTC unit at a major research university for 4 years. HPSP scholarships are handled a few different ways. For ROTC, students are typically already enrolled in the ROTC curriculum in their undergrad schools and apply for HPSP after fall of their sophomore year. In the Air Force, we were dealing with students who were typically on one of two tracks, nursing and medical school (no distinction other than that at my level). Be in good standing in the program, have >3.50 cumulative GPA and you were pretty much a slam dunk for award of the HPSP scholarship. Notice I didn't say anything about an MCAT score? At the time I was running my ROTC unit, the students had only completed 3 semesters before competing for HPSP scholarship, therefore they had not taken the exam yet. That was how the program was managed on the AFROTC side when I left in 2008, cannot imagine much has changed since then, and I do not know if, when the students actually took the MCAT and applied/accepted into a medical school program if podiatry was excluded from receipt of the HPSP. That was handled at HQ/AFROTC at Maxwell AFB, AL.

I am not sure how the USAFA handled their cadets for application and competition for HPSP, but I imagine it mirrored the AFROTC process reasonably closely.

Regarding the scenario that seems most prevalent on this website, which is a civilian student not currently enrolled in a commissioning program such as ROTC or a service academy, you must process your application through a recruiter. The Air Force has dedicated health-profession recruiters who are specially trained to process these applications for HPSP. I have done pretty exhaustive research and cannot find anything definitive in publication on a website regarding the applicability of podiatric medical school to the HPSP nor can I find anything that states the number of scholarships available. The absence of information tells me several things: First, the services (Air Force in this example) are not having any trouble finding podiatrists and don't feel the need to entice current podiatric medical students to any degree with the scholarship "carrot." A quick Google search for "air force podiatric medicine" took me to U.S. Air Force - Career Detail - Podiatric Surgeon and if you look at the qualifications summary on the webpage it states the minimum qualification is "Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from an approved school of medicine or osteopathic medicine"...doesn't seem like they are even looking for DPMs because they are so specialized, rather they are seeking MD or DOs who do a podiatric surgical residency program. This makes sense to me as it would allow the military to assign the doctor to another assignment outside of podiatry as the needs of the military change.

MarDoc, you may not be getting the best information. The Air Force requirement to be a podiatrist requires owning a MD or DO degree and completing a podiatric surgical residency, DPM is not qualifying from the information I have. May want to double check, but I think what the Air Force is trying to is pick up MD or DO who are willing to go through the podiatric surgical residency, which they should have no trouble being matched to, and then using them primarily as podiatrist with the option of assigning them as needed to any other specialty they are qualified for (general practice, ortho, psych, etc.). Again, this is the information I have as of today and I know the health profession recruiters are usually pretty up to speed on the requirements to qualify for their scholarship opportunities, but perhaps they aren't looking at the overarching requirement of MD or DO degree in your conversation. Generally speaking, if you tell a person who isn't really read in on the difference in the doctoral degrees, they may be assuming you will possess a MD or DO, and may not even know what a DPM is or that it is different.

Good luck, keep everyone up to date with what you hear, information on this is scarce. I have a call in to a health professions recruiter now and will be updating when I hear back from her.

All of this is wrong information. Also MD's cannot go through a podiatry residency - since they aren't podiatrists.

The army/navy all have offered HPSP to podiatry (as well as optometry and others), as well as the HSCP scholarship for those in residency. The Navy recently turned their HPSP off for podiatry 3-4 years ago due to overmanning. I would know, since I was one of the last graduates of the HPSP program who's currently in the military.

The best resource is going to be asking a recruiter, who can then contact the specialty leader. Army will be your best chance of HPSP/HSCP.
Pretty sure MarDoc specifically was speaking about USAF HPSP opportunities, not Army or Navy. I was certainly clear I was speaking only about my knowledge and experience with USAF HPSP process and that was 10-years ago, so throttle back a little Greenhousepub, we're all trying to get the best info we can.

So perhaps the Air Force website is out of date? This is currently the information for podiatric medicine on the USAF.COM website, so by definition, the information is correct until they change it. U.S. Air Force - Doctor Please notice Podiatry is listed under "allied health," not doctor. If you look under doctor, you will not find podiatrist on this classification. That's not to say a podatrist with a DPM is not a doctor, they certainly are, but the USAF requires their podiatrists to hold MD or DO degrees, not DPMs (at least according to this website). It looks like Navy (from what I found) accepts the DPMs as podiatrists with proper residency etc...but again, by the USAF website, you need a MD or DO. The reason for this is the way the service align their podiatry field (Medical Service Corps in Army and Navy vs Biomedical Science Corps in the USAF). In the Army and Navy, a DPM can be in the MSC, in the USAF it is in the BSC.

Additionally, use of the term "podiatrist" really is semantics. I am not trying to be critical, but this is my understanding. If you graduate from a DPM program, you are a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. Everyone can agree with that. But you are not qualified or licensed to treat patients without completing an APMA approved PMSR or PMSR/RRA residency and passing boards and attain state licensing. Then you can treat patients, and in my vernacular, that makes you a podiatrist at that point.

To make a blanket statement that a MD or DO cannot complete a podiatric surgical residency seems on its face to be questionable, and I'm not trying to be adversarial so please do not take it that way. Why would they be precluded is my question to you? Although the the DPM degree likely provides you with a "leg up" due to the "sole focus" on the foot and ankle, it would seem that the MD or DO degree would be at least minimally qualifying for competing for a residency match in podiatric surgery. Again, I am new and not an expert, but what I am is logical to a fault. My daughter is pursuing attending a DPM program, so I want to get spun up on this material. As of this post, I have looked at several residency websites posted from List of Approved Residencies | Residency | CPME and none have explicitly stated that a DPM is required or exclusively require. Likewise, they have not stated that a MD or DO disqualifies a candidate.

Great resource from July 2019 from the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense on the current state of the podiatric field in the services is attached. Take a look at it, it is highly informative. As a retired military officer, I can tell you that promotion opportunities in fields like podiatry will limit your ability to attain rank above Major

Attachments

• Podiatric Surgeons in the Military and Podiatry in the Military.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 115
1) As a current military officer, who serves as a podiatrist and went through the programs you are asking about, I am well aware of the role I play and my promotional abilities.

2) The term podiatrist is not semantics. An MD will never be called a podiatrist, and they are absolutely precluded from doing a podiatry residency. They do not do the same boards we do, we do not take the USMLE, we don't go through the same match process and their training is different than ours. Once again, I know this because I have already been through it.

3) The information on the job posting is incorrect, and is most likely a template. There are USAF DPMs, but not any that I am aware of from HPSP/HSCP programs at least in the past 10-15 years. The USAF has been very competitive to get into in terms of podiatry and they take very limited spots.

4) The HPSP/HSCP process is a very relaxed program. You do 5 weeks at ODS/whatever the army calls it, then upon graduation of residency you are placed in an active duty billet. For HSCP you do three years of residency then ODS afterwards. My year they took 2 people from HSCP and 2 from HPSP.
There are no VA HPSP slots available, and if you are accepted into the program you can do your residency anywhere, not just a VA.

5) The DHA has announced drastic cuts to ancillary services like podiatry with focus more on utilizing community based providers. This means that the slots for active duty billets are shrinking rapidly.

Here's an up front summary to find out if HPSP/HSCP still exists for the program you desire:

Talk to the recruiter. Have them email the specialty leader to see if spots are still open. If yes, then apply.

Okay, cowboy, geez, someone is a little uptight. So you are saying an MD or DO could never sit for the same board, or just saying they don't sit for the same board? Can you cite or provide a link to a reference? I'd love to believe you, trust me, but right now you are just coming off with a lot of anger and I really don't see any references to the source material to make me say "You know what, Greenhousepub was right! I should thank him." Again, I am trying to learn as much as I can. I can see you are coming at this from a Navy/Army perspective and experience. I am specifically speaking about USAF in my posts.

I can earn an MD and call myself a doctor, but never pass a board or practice medicine. Same with DO, DPM, PharmD, PhD. Semantics deals with meaning, so what I am saying is an MD who, for some reason beyond my or your reasoning decided to go into podiatry, surely will be called "doctor", apparently just like yourself. He would be practicing podiatry, which would mean by definition he is a podiatrist by profession. Whether he or anyone else calls him a podiatrist is immaterial. He is practicing podiatry and is, therefore, a podiatrist. They are just words, friend, settle down. It's Friday for crying out loud, grab a beer and decompress a little. I can see you are stressed, perhaps impacted by the looming force reduction within the defense health services you mentioned and taking it out here, but I can tell you this, you are not giving a good representation of yourself, Navy medical officers or podiatrists by being so hostile. If you are, as you stated, a military officer and a doctor, you should probably comport yourself as such, with a little professionalism.

I indicated in my followup that perhaps the information on the website could be out of date, but it is on their website and that is what they are communicating with the world. So if it is wrong, not my bad, it's theirs. Regarding promotion opportunities, I know many who served in the BSC in the USAF and promotion beyond O-4 is difficult. Not saying impossible, but it is exceedingly difficult.

Okay, cowboy, geez, someone is a little uptight. So you are saying an MD or DO could never sit for the same board, or just saying they don't sit for the same board? Can you cite or provide a link to a reference? I'd love to believe you, trust me, but right now you are just coming off with a lot of anger and I really don't see any references to the source material to make me say "You know what, Greenhousepub was right! I should thank him." Again, I am trying to learn as much as I can. I can see you are coming at this from a Navy/Army perspective and experience. I am specifically speaking about USAF in my posts.

I can earn an MD and call myself a doctor, but never pass a board or practice medicine. Same with DO, DPM, PharmD, PhD. Semantics deals with meaning, so what I am saying is an MD who, for some reason beyond my or your reasoning decided to go into podiatry, surely will be called "doctor", apparently just like yourself. He would be practicing podiatry, which would mean by definition he is a podiatrist by profession. Whether he or anyone else calls him a podiatrist is immaterial. He is practicing podiatry and is, therefore, a podiatrist. They are just words, friend, settle down. It's Friday for crying out loud, grab a beer and decompress a little. I can see you are stressed, perhaps impacted by the looming force reduction within the defense health services you mentioned and taking it out here, but I can tell you this, you are not giving a good representation of yourself, Navy medical officers or podiatrists by being so hostile. If you are, as you stated, a military officer and a doctor, you should probably comport yourself as such, with a little professionalism.

I indicated in my followup that perhaps the information on the website could be out of date, but it is on their website and that is what they are communicating with the world. So if it is wrong, not my bad, it's theirs. Regarding promotion opportunities, I know many who served in the BSC in the USAF and promotion beyond O-4 is difficult. Not saying impossible, but it is exceedingly difficult.

MDs/DOs do not and cannot take Podiatry Boards and vice versa. Period.
Anyone interested in Pod HPSP should talk to a recruiter directly.

DextorMorgan,

Thanks for replying, I realize you are a moderator and knowledgable. I guess that leads me to my next question. Why would the Air Force have a web page currently posted that shows their qualifications required for podiatric surgeons include an MD or DO degree and not a DPM? It either was their requirement, at some time or currently is their requirement, which means that somehow MDs or DOs were/are capable of meeting the additional requirements of the minimum 24-months podiatric surgery residency program. Would just appreciate your opinion. I think Greenhousepub surely has current knowledge about the Navy program since he is apparently in the Navy.

DextorMorgan,

Thanks for replying, I realize you are a moderator and knowledgable. I guess that leads me to my next question. Why would the Air Force have a web page currently posted that shows their qualifications required for podiatric surgeons include an MD or DO degree and not a DPM? It either was their requirement, at some time or currently is their requirement, which means that somehow MDs or DOs were/are capable of meeting the additional requirements of the minimum 24-months podiatric surgery residency program. Would just appreciate your opinion. I think Greenhousepub surely has current knowledge about the Navy program since he is apparently in the Navy.

I see what you're saying. I believe the info on that website is out of date. I will get back to you once I hear back from them.

Update - spoke with USAF health services recruiter this morning. DPM is a required degree, the website is run by a contractor and is apparently erroneous.

Recruiter indicated they only had 1 HPSP for podiatry for FY2020, which has already been spoken for. Additionally, it is a 3-yr scholarship that would be in effect for years 2-4 of DPM program. Navy recruiter indicated no billets were available for podiatry HPSP.

That's my experience as of today, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: 3 users
Update - spoke with USAF health services recruiter this morning. DPM is a required degree, the website is run by a contractor and is apparently erroneous.

Recruiter indicated they only had 1 HPSP for podiatry for FY2020, which has already been spoken for. Additionally, it is a 3-yr scholarship that would be in effect for years 2-4 of DPM program. Navy recruiter indicated no billets were available for podiatry HPSP.

I can confirm that the info on the U.S. Air Force website above is incorrect and out-of-date. You need a DPM degree along with the residency requirements to work as a Podiatric Surgeon within the USAF.

The APMA will work with the right people to fix the website error. Thanks for your patience.

Ya the Navy recruiter I've been in contact with had to reach out to the program manager and just told me they haven't offered the HPSP for Podiatry for a while and that there is nothing available.

Can't believe I was asleep while some juicy tea was spilled haha but aw, that's unfortunate. Just like Battle Royale, may the best candidate win the USAF Podiatry HPSP!

In other news, the DHS and the VA needs to hurry up with passing the new Bill on giving DPMs parity in financial compensation equivalent to MD/DOs

Can't believe I was asleep while some juicy tea was spilled haha but aw, that's unfortunate. Just like Battle Royale, may the best candidate win the USAF Podiatry HPSP!

In other news, the DHS and the VA needs to hurry up with passing the new Bill on giving DPMs parity in financial compensation equivalent to MD/DOs

Which new bill?

the most recent effort attempted to be pushed through congress was to try and reduce podiatry compensation compared to others.

Does anyone know how long HCSP will cover for Pod School? It says on the navy site up to 36 months, but I know rest of the health profession schools like Med or Dental they offer up to 48 months since doctorates require 4 years of education.
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.51.27 AM.png

How does the pay work if I already have time in service? I've read other forums and they say for HSCP they give you E-6 with < 2yrs pay, but what if I've already served for 4 yrs?

I am a working professional and I have always considered ortho surgery or dentistry my whole life but do to major speed bumps during college my GPA suffered and had to take time off to get my life straight by joining the navy and I've graduated from the University of Michigan and currently work for JP Morgan, but I am now considering trying again for my dream of working in healthcare. I recently found out there is surgeon in podiatry too, so I wanted to get educated.

Does anyone know how long HCSP will cover for Pod School? It says on the navy site up to 36 months, but I know rest of the health profession schools like Med or Dental they offer up to 48 months since doctorates require 4 years of education.View attachment 321731
How does the pay work if I already have time in service? I've read other forums and they say for HSCP they give you E-6 with < 2yrs pay, but what if I've already served for 4 yrs?

I am a working professional and I have always considered ortho surgery or dentistry my whole life but do to major speed bumps during college my GPA suffered and had to take time off to get my life straight by joining the navy and I've graduated from the University of Michigan and currently work for JP Morgan, but I am now considering trying again for my dream of working in healthcare. I recently found out there is surgeon in podiatry too, so I wanted to get educated.

1) I noticed that too. I verified it with a recruiter a few months ago. They do only cover 3 years (years 2-4) in exchange for 3 years of service after residency.

2) I was under the impression that pay would be equivalent to an O-3? I think your specific case can only be definitively answered by a recruiter.

3) you need to shadow a podiatrist to know if this is something you want to do. You seemed very set on dentistry in your previous posts. This is a vastly different career, so know what you’re getting into!

4) Low GPA can be overcome by showing reinvention (ex. Retaking classes, strong MCAT). What is your GPA? Have you taken any recent classes?

Last edited:
1) I noticed that too. I verified it with a recruiter a few months ago. They do only cover 3 years (years 2-4) in exchange for 3 years of service after residency.

2) I was under the impression that pay would be equivalent to an O-3? I think your specific case can only be definitively answered by a recruiter.

3) you need to shadow a podiatrist to know if this is something you want to do. You seemed very set on dentistry in your previous posts. This is a vastly different career, so know what you’re getting into!

4) Low GPA can be overcome by showing reinvention (ex. Retaking classes, strong MCAT). What is your GPA? Have you taken any recent classes?

Thank you Tabasco9 for the response.

1) Do you also know if you complete residency in the military then does that get added to the 3 years of service?

2) When I meant pay I meant during the HCSP not once you are commissioned (Complete Podiatry School and Residency).

4) Currently my cumulative is ~2.5 (this is calculating everything I've ever taken not just from where I received my degree). I am currently working full time and taking at least 1 class per semester in biology and chemistry to start getting back into taking science classes and trying to bring up my gpa at least a little bit before applying to post bacc. The past 2 classes I've taken I have received A's in both.

Does anyone know how long HCSP will cover for Pod School? It says on the navy site up to 36 months, but I know rest of the health profession schools like Med or Dental they offer up to 48 months since doctorates require 4 years of education.View attachment 321731

The claim above that you only owe 3 years after residency is incorrect (not trying to come at you Tabasco). It is 2 years for every one year that they pay for. Additionally, getting out of the military as an officer is somewhat a little harder than being enlisted. You need to jump through hoops such as resigning your commission etc when you retire. At that point, you would be approximately 9 years into your time in service, and they will through the kitchen table at your to try and retain you in their ranks.

HPSP does not cover podiatry school, it only covers MD/DO or DDS/DMD, regardless of what the Navy's official website tells you, it is incorrect. No matter what you read online or other forums, I can assure you that it will not cover podiatry school (coming from someone who is in the Army who has tried to look at several different payment options for medical school and fought many times to get the HPSP and got a middle finger to the face since it isn't MD/DO).

HSCP through the Navy does cover podiatry school from what I understand. You would need to contact a recruiter during your 3rd year of podiatry school and you would become what is called a direct commissioner (I too spoke with a Naval recruiter and this is what he told me). On top of that you would need to attend some type of Officer development school or program through the Navy.

If you were to received HSCP during your time in podiatry school, you would be paid full salary of an O-1 (Ensign in the Navy). I have attached a DoD pay chart to the bottom of this to show you how the pay scale increases with rank as well as time in service. Once you graduate podiatry school, you would be promoted to O-3 (Lieutenant in the Navy). From what I understand, HSCP works on the back end, meaning you would need to take out your own loans (if applicable) and they would "reimburse" you for those loans once your start working for them as a podiatrist.

Any one year of school they pay for, you owe two years in return. Those years that you owe back to them come after your residency, and your residency years do not count towards your service obligation.

Speaking from the Army stand point, the need for podiatrists has significantly decreased from my understanding. My friends dad is a medical recruiter for the Army and they needed a whooping ZERO podiatrists for FY 20 he told me.

I have also heard from many sources from the Navy that they are significantly down scaling their podiatric strength.

I am unsure about the Air Force.

There are a lot of nit picky stipulations that they don't tell you or present to the public, so make sure you do your homework and talk to as many recruiters as possible who aren't licking their chops to try and just recruit you for their numbers to meet their quota.

Here you can find the pay scale for the military. You will want to look for the region that has the letter "O" followed by a number, because you would be a commissioned officer as a podiatrist in the military. OR since you are prior service, look for "OE".

The claim above that you only owe 3 years after residency is incorrect (not trying to come at you Tabasco). It is 2 years for every one year that they pay for. Additionally, getting out of the military as an officer is somewhat a little harder than being enlisted. You need to jump through hoops such as resigning your commission etc when you retire. At that point, you would be approximately 9 years into your time in service, and they will through the kitchen table at your to try and retain you in their ranks.

HPSP does not cover podiatry school, it only covers MD/DO or DDS/DMD, regardless of what the Navy's official website tells you, it is incorrect. No matter what you read online or other forums, I can assure you that it will not cover podiatry school (coming from someone who is in the Army who has tried to look at several different payment options for medical school and fought many times to get the HPSP and got a middle finger to the face since it isn't MD/DO).

HSCP through the Navy does cover podiatry school from what I understand. You would need to contact a recruiter during your 3rd year of podiatry school and you would become what is called a direct commissioner (I too spoke with a Naval recruiter and this is what he told me). On top of that you would need to attend some type of Officer development school or program through the Navy.

If you were to received HSCP during your time in podiatry school, you would be paid full salary of an O-1 (Ensign in the Navy). I have attached a DoD pay chart to the bottom of this to show you how the pay scale increases with rank as well as time in service. Once you graduate podiatry school, you would be promoted to O-3 (Lieutenant in the Navy). From what I understand, HSCP works on the back end, meaning you would need to take out your own loans (if applicable) and they would "reimburse" you for those loans once your start working for them as a podiatrist.

Any one year of school they pay for, you owe two years in return. Those years that you owe back to them come after your residency, and your residency years do not count towards your service obligation.

Speaking from the Army stand point, the need for podiatrists has significantly decreased from my understanding. My friends dad is a medical recruiter for the Army and they needed a whooping ZERO podiatrists for FY 20 he told me.

I have also heard from many sources from the Navy that they are significantly down scaling their podiatric strength.

There are a lot of nit picky stipulations that they don't tell you or present to the public, so make sure you do your homework and talk to as many recruiters as possible who aren't licking their chops to try and just recruit you for their numbers to meet their quota.

Here you can find the pay scale for the military. You will want to look for the region that has the letter "O" followed by a number, because you would be a commissioned officer as a podiatrist in the military. OR since you are prior service, look for "OE".

IMG_1998.JPG

I spoke with this recruiter that Dexter shared a few months ago. This ad was HPSP through the Air Force.

I only had a brief 15 minute phone conversation, but the info is listed in the picture.

Thanks for sharing your info, I think we’re talking about different things.

Last edited:

Wrong. We are eligible for HPSP and HSCP. It depends on staffing (ie are there too many podiatrists in the Navy to offer the scholarship). I did HSCP.

All of this. And I mean all of this is wrong.

HPSP covers Podiatry school. Several of my friends did HPSP. Often they only cover 3 years of it though, it's still a good deal. Depending on staffing the scholarship may be available or not. HSCP pays you as an active duty E5 in residency as they count that time as active duty. Once done with residency you commission as an O3.

You owe a year for every year you take the scholarship.

It's easy to get out, and once you get out they don't want you back. There are no bonuses besides board cert pay. There are no retention bonuses.

I ended up with 6 years of active time (3 years of residency - technically active duty - and 3 years at a base)

You will be in the IRR for 2 years after you get off active duty, which means you literally don't have to show up to anything and you are essentially out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Wrong. We are eligible for HPSP and HSCP. It depends on staffing (ie are there too many podiatrists in the Navy to offer the scholarship). I did HSCP.

All of this. And I mean all of this is wrong.

HPSP covers Podiatry school. Several of my friends did HPSP. Often they only cover 3 years of it though, it's still a good deal. Depending on staffing the scholarship may be available or not. HSCP pays you as an active duty E5 in residency as they count that time as active duty. Once done with residency you commission as an O3.

You owe a year for every year you take the scholarship.

It's easy to get out, and once you get out they don't want you back. There are no bonuses besides board cert pay. There are no retention bonuses.

I ended up with 6 years of active time (3 years of residency - technically active duty - and 3 years at a base)

You will be in the IRR for 2 years after you get off active duty, which means you literally don't have to show up to anything and you are essentially out.

My mistake if the Naval side of information is incorrect. But I can absolutely 100% assure you that the Army will not give you HPSP for podiatry school. To claim broadly that it can be used for podiatry school is incorrect. Again, not sure about Air Force, but I literally just spoke to a Naval officer recruiter about 3 months ago who said I can not use HPSP for Podiatry school. However, it may have been different when you went to school and perhaps HPSP was eligible for pod school then.

Please reference this link for Naval HPSP information (https://www.med.navy.mil/Pages/InfoViewPage.aspx?ItemID=22

I. Scholarship Eligibility:
To be eligible for an HPSP scholarship, you must be:
  • Accepted to or enrolled in an AMA or AOA school of medicine in the US or Puerto Rico.

I have had this conversation many times with recruiters both AMEDD and not. So unless I'm missing something, then this information (minus the info about the Navy) is in fact not wrong, sir.

"Your period of military service to the Army is a minimum of two years or one year for each year you receive the HPSP" See here: (https://www.goarmy.com/content/dam/goarmy/downloaded_assets/amedd_rpis/hpsp_fs.pdf)

The way the Army works with HPSP, is that you will be a 2LT while in Medical school and receive a "monthly stipend" which I can only assume is the same as your basic pay for an O-1. I know this, because I have many friends taking advantage of this benefit. Upon graduation of Medical School, you will be a CPT (O-3). I'm not sure how you claim that information is "all wrong".

The Army had a mission for zero podiatrist last year. Don't believe me? Talk to an AMEDD recruiter.

If I am misinformed, I am willing to have further discussions via PM if you would like so that way I can be enlightened. But the information that I present is "straight from the horses mouth" about HPSP and podiatry in the military.

Sounds like you spoke with a recruiter who does Medical Corps. All of your answers are indicated for Medical Officers, of which we are not. You need to speak with either the specialty leader for Podiatry or a medical service corps recruiter. The HPSP is for school, the HSCP is for residency.

They may be telling you HPSP is not offered to podiatrists simply because it has been shut off until there is a need for more podiatrists in the branch.

Things have not changed that much in three years. I have friends who did both Army and Navy. I only know reservists in Air Force.

But how can I argue with a pre-podiatry student?

Even the recruiters make mistakes when it comes to Podiatry, but they are still a better source than SDN or another website.
The point is, do your research thoroughly before signing up for anything.

Does anyone have a link to where I would apply to HPSP/something similar for podiatry? Any branch is fine. Everyone keeps telling me to find a recruiter, but I keep getting thrown for a loop every time I do my own due diligence. Would appreciate any info. Thanks

Does anyone have a link to where I would apply to HPSP/something similar for podiatry? Any branch is fine. Everyone keeps telling me to find a recruiter, but I keep getting thrown for a loop every time I do my own due diligence. Would appreciate any info. Thanks
+1 (618) 240-9436

Sounds like you spoke with a recruiter who does Medical Corps. All of your answers are indicated for Medical Officers, of which we are not. You need to speak with either the specialty leader for Podiatry or a medical service corps recruiter. The HPSP is for school, the HSCP is for residency.

They may be telling you HPSP is not offered to podiatrists simply because it has been shut off until there is a need for more podiatrists in the branch.

Things have not changed that much in three years. I have friends who did both Army and Navy. I only know reservists in Air Force.

But how can I argue with a pre-podiatry student?
You are incorrect. HSCP is also for school. A basic google search will clarify things for you, or by reading the BUMED notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.