How's your summers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catayst

Hardest working man in toe business
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could I, say, move out of town during the summer and work a couple months someplace else, or is your time pretty much absorbed in pod school all year?

Members don't see this ad.

You can do that in your first year at CPMS, but your second year you have summer clinic in either June or July. Then your third/fourth year, you start your externship in June and go to school all year.

Alright goody.
And p.s. My guys dancing to the cowbell yeah baby

Members don't see this ad :)
reminds me of Austin Powers funny transition screens

Catayst said:
Could I, say, move out of town during the summer and work a couple months someplace else, or is your time pretty much absorbed in pod school all year?

NYCPM has the same schedule as DMU. 1st summer a month off then all year baby.

Catalyst, I've noticed a trend in your postings and I think I can give you some good advice.

Podiatry is a medical specialty that requires a ton of hard work and time to learn.

Once you have matriculated into the program, you will (hopefully) be absorbed and occupied by your studies. I have seen students taking short cuts, that I won't mention, but in the end, it will hurt them b/c they will not be at the same level as those who put the time into THEIR education, their investment. (Plus I will hope to soon bequeath them to some of the other students on this board so that they can pick up the slackers slack during residency and I will no longer be haunted by these not so hard working students)

Podiatry school is not a part time/ part year thing, it is an all day, everyday thing with occasional time off.

In all honesty, to really succeed in podiatry you need to have a tremendous work ethic. Why? because there isn't a job waiting for every graduate. That means that the individual must have learned to be ambitious, hard working and willing to make the critical sacrifices in order to survive and pay down those student loans.

If you want 9-5 and weekends/summers off, become a teacher. Again, this profession (to learn the right way) requires tons of work.

In fact, although it is podiatry school, think of it as traditional medical school in regards to time.

Think about this hard because you don't want to start just to find out that you didn't expect it to be as demanding.

naive as hell, yes I know. School's yet to be demanding for me, but I know I will be a good doctor.
For years I had this vague notion of wanting to help other people, but it hasn't been since this April that I've really understood why. I want that relationship with my patients, its hard to describe, but I come from a very reserved family. Nobody ever showed emotions--it is like an aspect of masculinity that my dad had inherited from his dad, this something which made all of us afraid to reveal our true feelings. I feel it was responsible for a great many problems we have in our family.
I don't want this anymore. I will never treat my patients as being problems to fix, but I will treat them as humans, as having the same feelings and humanity as I do. I want that deep personal connection with my patients that there seems to be a tendency to stray away from nowadays. I'll probably be one of those docs that hugs their patients.

If you have the chance, read "Death of Compassion: The Endangered Doctor-Patient Relationship" by Jeff Thurston. Probably the greatest non-fiction book I've ever read. He'll clarify (much better than I have), from his very touching relationships with his patients, what I half coherently tried to say here.