how would you react if your boss/superior DOESNT wear a mask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apple212

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
currently I am working at an independent pharmacy, where the owners are more investors who have no idea healthcare, let alone have have much knownledge on pharmacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Regard them as an dingus that pays you so you can pay your bills

Members don't see this ad :)
Not breathe near them.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you or they are symptomatic or know for a fact that they're spreading the virus, why do you care?

Also, working in a small space like pharmacy, would wearing masks really help you prevent a respiratory virus infection? I mean, you're literally next to each other 8-9 hours a day. Touching the same things and breathing the same air... I usually just wear a mask when I'm talking to patients.

Wear an N95 or elastomeric respirator.

Also, working in a small space like pharmacy, would wearing masks really help you prevent a respiratory virus infection? I mean, you're literally next to each other 8-9 hours a day. Touching the same things and breathing the same air... I usually just wear a mask when I'm talking to patients.

Well, the OP said they know nothing about healthcare, so presumably they just come through to visit the pharmacy and aren't in there long.

OP: Realistically, nothing you can do except find another job. If they are against health mandates in your state, you could try anonymously reporting them, but nothing would happen, and if anything did happen, it would be them being told "Naughty! Now make sure you are wearing your mask all the time, in case we ever come back!"

Well, the OP said they know nothing about healthcare, so presumably they just come through to visit the pharmacy and aren't in there long.

OP: Realistically, nothing you can do except find another job. If they are against health mandates in your state, you could try anonymously reporting them, but nothing would happen, and if anything did happen, it would be them being told "Naughty! Now make sure you are wearing your mask all the time, in case we ever come back!"
If they're investing in a pharmacy, clearly they know something about healthcare or pharmacy lol. Probably more than OP. I stopped wearing masks after I got the COVID. I knew masks didn't help but since I didn't want to deal with a bunch of karens yelling at me for not wearing one, I've worn it whenever I was required to. Yet, I still got the COVID. So... in my person experience, masks really did not help in preventing me from being infected with a respiratory virus...

So, OP, don't worry about it.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
Unless you or they are symptomatic or know for a fact that they're spreading the virus, why do you care?

the owner caught COVID, and one of his family members even passed away from COVID... yet the owner doesn't wear a mask thereafter... And unfortunately he is at the pharmacy daily because he is doing accounting and various business related tasks... I dont mind if he doesn't wear a mask when he is in his office. But the thing is, he walks around the pharmacy/ front end of the store sometimes... and I don't want the patients seeing him without a mask. I have (relentlessly and politely) asked him to wear a mask while he walks at the front end of the store. I am vaccinated, but I just don't want to carry this stuff home to my family/friends that have yet to receive a vaccine!

the owner caught COVID, and one of his family members even passed away from COVID... yet the owner doesn't wear a mask thereafter... And unfortunately he is at the pharmacy daily because he is doing accounting and various business related tasks... I dont mind if he doesn't wear a mask when he is in his office. But the thing is, he walks around the pharmacy/ front end of the store sometimes... and I don't want the patients seeing him without a mask. I have (relentlessly and politely) asked him to wear a mask while he walks at the front end of the store. I am vaccinated, but I just don't want to carry this stuff home to my family/friends that have yet to receive a vaccine!
If he had the COVID already and recovered, I don't see what the problem is... I mean he already has immunity. He's probably more immune that you who got the vaccine haha

• Dislike
If he had the COVID already and recovered, I don't see what the problem is... I mean he already has immunity. He's probably more immune that you who got the vaccine haha
If other customers see the owner not wearing a mask, some customers might think its okay or even unfair to be forced to wear a mask.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they're investing in a pharmacy, clearly they know something about healthcare or pharmacy lol. Probably more than OP. I stopped wearing masks after I got the COVID. I knew masks didn't help but since I didn't want to deal with a bunch of karens yelling at me for not wearing one, I've worn it whenever I was required to. Yet, I still got the COVID. So... in my person experience, masks really did not help in preventing me from being infected with a respiratory virus...

You legit think masks don't help? We didn't have one transmission arise from within our pharmacy. But we've been very good about masking at work. That said, we also have good air filtration systems, which are also important.

Last edited:
my concern is for the PATIENTS (and for my FAMILY and FRIENDS) ... the owner may be "immune" but what about every other indivudual/ HUMAN BEING?? Are you even a pharmacist or even a healthcare provider??? In the very least can you provide with me some evidence based research/article that allows a COVIDiot to think he/she is superman that allows them not to wear a mask???? Whether I am a pharmacist/healthcare provider or not, I rather be SAFE THAN SORRY!
You stated that he already had COVID. Do you even know what that means? So like, he had the virus, right? And then his immune system fought it off. Now he is considered “immune” due to antibodies he developed. If he is exposed to COVID virus again, he is not going to get infected nor is he going to spread it to anyone.

You question whether i am a pharmacist or not? This basic knowledge is known to 5th graders. How do YOU not know this?

Your insult tells me that you’re incapable of thinking critically which is why you probably posted this in the first place. Lol. Oh the irony.

• Dislike
You legit think masks don't help? We didn't have one transmission arise from within our pharmacy. But we've been very good about masking at work. That said, we also have good air filtration systems, which is also important.
I legit think that it didnt help me. Like i said, i followed mask protocol every where but i still got the rona. So hence i stated that in my experience masks were useless.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
are you even a pharmacist or a healthcare professional... ??? My concern is for the PATIENTS (my FAMILY and FRIENDS!!!) it's "nice" how concerned you are for the owner... but you and him/her (owners) are one in the same; COVIDiot!!! Please provide me with some medical journals/articles to support your claim then!.. I went into this profession with the intent of serving and helping others!.. I see your TRUE COLORS :mad:... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ we dont know what caused or how to properly treat COVID... we are still in the developing stages of trying to control and understandl this disease/pandemic... so unless you can give me some evidence based research with clinical trials, then no, you are no expert (JUST LIKE ME!)

Last edited:
are you even a pharmacist or a healthcare professional... ??? My concern is for the PATIENTS (my FAMILY and FRIENDS!!!) it's "nice" how concerned you are for the owner... but you and him/her (owners) are one in the same; COVIDiot!!! Please provide me with some medical journals/articles to support your claim then!.. I went into this profession with the intent of serving and helping others!.. I see your TRUE COLORS :mad:... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Support my claim that once youve been infected by a virus you build immunity?! Okay... im gonna think youre a legit troll at this point. Do you even know how vaccines work? My true colors of understanding basic science... is that what you see? Lol

Edit: sure im no expert but neither are you as you stated BUT we should all have some basic knowledge of infectious disease as pharmacists? Why do you keep insisting that people who are immune to this virus to keep on wearing masks? Where is the scientific evidence?

How am i concerned about the owners? Lol i am simply stating that masks are futile for them since they have been infected already. Thats was your original point, correct?

Last edited:
  • Dislike
OP, did you recently graduate? Is this the type of pharmacists we are now producing? God help us...

• Okay...

Not all masks were created equal. If you want a decent amount of protection you need at least a KN95 mask which is cheap and available by the truckload.

In a way, the CDC was right that masks "don't work" in that many of them protect others from you, but they protect you as the wearer only minimally.

Elastomeric respirator with P100 filters > N95 > KN95/KF94 > 3-ply surgical mask with meltblown nonwoven fabric > cloth mask

You legit think masks don't help? We didn't have one transmission arise from within our pharmacy. But we've been very good about masking at work. That said, we also have good air filtration systems, which is also important.

Dude never believed in masks, gave his techs the option to do whatever they want because it is airborne virus and everyone knows what to do, then got the virus, and now telling everyone the masks were useless. Don't argue with him.

Reactions: 4 users
Dude never believed in masks, gave his techs the option to do whatever they want because it is airborne virus and everyone knows what to do, then got the virus, and now telling everyone the masks were useless. Don't argue with him.
Right because you know where i got the virus. Lol. What a clown.

• Dislike
I have no idea where you got it Victor but when you deny it exists and methods to stop the spread are useless, it is kind irrelevant. Maybe you didn't wash your hands. Who knows.

I mean you are also waiting until flu season to get immunized for this. Do I need to say more.

Reactions: 2 users
Not all masks were created equal. If you want a decent amount of protection you need at least a KN95 mask which is cheap and available by the truckload.

In a way, the CDC was right that masks "don't work" in that many of them protect others from you, but they protect you as the wearer only minimally.

Elastomeric respirator with P100 filters > N95 > KN95/KF94 > 3-ply surgical mask with meltblown nonwoven fabric > cloth mask

Now you should wear the entire box of masks all at once.

This has nothing to do with science, what is right/wrong.

Bottom line is he is the hammer and you are the widget. Nothing you say or how correct you are will change the fact that he is a hammer.

If you want to set the rules, become a hammer. Otherwise, quietly stay a widget and collect your paycheck from the hammer.

Now you should wear the entire box of masks all at once.
They should make it a mandate that if youre gonna wear a mask, you should wear an n95, a regular mask and a gas mask... you know because you never know. You dont want to be responsible for killing other people.

• Okay...
Do 5th graders still learn about Typhoid Mary? It is possible to spread a disease after contracting it even when that person shows no symptoms.
I was tested positive. Two days later symptoms worsened. Had fever of 100F for about three days. Quarantined for 10 days until the county told me I can go back to work. basically, i had a full blown covid. So in my case, unless this thing mutates faster than how frequently aoc makes a fool out of herself, i have zero chance of spreading it. (I know that comparison makes zero mathematical sense but just wanted to throw aoc in there lol) yes, this was confirmed by an ID doc and an ER doc. So stop telling me i need to wear a mask to prevent spreading the disease haha

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate

"Face masks should be used only by individuals who have symptoms of respiratory infection such as coughing, sneezing, or, in some cases, fever. Face masks should also be worn by health care workers, by individuals who are taking care of or are in close contact with people who have respiratory infections, or otherwise as directed by a doctor. Face masks should not be worn by healthy individuals to protect themselves from acquiring respiratory infection because there is no evidence to suggest that face masks worn by healthy individuals are effective in preventing people from becoming ill."

"Hand hygiene is one of the most important ways to prevent acquiring and spreading respiratory infections. Wash your hands often. Try not to touch your nose, eyes, or mouth prior to washing your hands. Avoid close contact with others who are sick."

I'm going to trust JAMA more than a bunch of emotional mob... You can call me what ever you want but facts don't care about your feelings. Shapiro 2024.

Above all, do you seriously think you need to wear a mask after being vaccinated or being infected with the virus and have developed immunity? If so, your ID professor failed you.

• Inappropriate
...Above all, do you seriously think you need to wear a mask after being vaccinated or being infected with the virus and have developed immunity? If so, your ID professor failed you.
I think you technically still have to in order to enter stores. Unless you want people to carry around papers and have proof each time you go somewhere, can't do anything until mandates are lifted.

I think you technically still have to in order to enter stores. Unless you want people to carry around papers and have proof each time you go somewhere, can't do anything until mandates are lifted.
Right, in private sectors, if they're requiring you to wear one, it would be their own store policy which you would have to follow. If not, they have a right to refuse service or kick you out. But, clinically speaking, as medical professionals, I'm just dumbfounded that some people are just screaming at people for not wearing a mask after being vaccinated or infected with the virus and recovered.

• Dislike
I don't want to argue efficacy of masks.

I don't want to argue transmission of Covid after recovering from it. Reinfection rates or public perception.

I do want to point out that the cited JAMA article is from March 4, 2020. It was published before everything that has transpired over the last year with shut downs and mandates.

It was published as the country was facing severe PPE shortage and probably helped reduce panic levels for the general public.

Let's look at things in proper context.

lmao its too late. "Victor" got banned. I honestly don't know how you can get banned on a site like this.

I do want to point out that the cited JAMA article is from March 4, 2020. It was published before everything that has transpired over the last year with shut downs and mandates.

It was published as the country was facing severe PPE shortage and probably helped reduce panic levels for the general public.

Let's look at things in proper context.
Very much this.

In a similar vein, it really surprised me watching the George Floyd trial recently because the video footage from Cup Foods showed employees and customers were all unmasked. I thought for certain they must be disobeying a mask mandate. But I looked it up based on the dating...and it turns out that at that time, no mandate had gone into effect in Minnesota at that time. Especially in a fast moving pandemic situation, it was a good reminder to check the context of when things occurred. The science gets old really quickly when we learn so much quickly.

Last edited:
currently I am working at an independent pharmacy, where the owners are more investors who have no idea healthcare, let alone have have much knownledge on pharmacy
If you have been vaccinated, then don’t worry. You might want to tell him that the image he presents to the customers is not a good one during this time of the pandemic and it would help the business if he showed concern by wearing a mask whether he needed to or not

You continue on about your day because it's not your business/problem. What are you, the mask police? Are you a mask shamer?

In your case, I’m guessing you got covid because you pick your nose. Has nothing to do wearing or not wearing a mask.

I worked at a pharmacy that had similar sounding owners but this one wanted to just grab a box of pseudophed without recording id etc. First I would accept that you don't control the owners. Then try to influence them. An OShA complaint as they are anonymous might get their attention.. Good luck.

Throughout the pandemic my strategy has been to just N95 and chill. Maybe upgrade with a face shield add-on or elastomeric respirator.