How to study for clinical neurophysiology boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkhan1031

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find an answer in my search:
What recommendations/study plans do people recommend for the clinical neurophysiology boards?
I'm starting my first job as an attending and time will be limited so I want to focus on 1-2 resources realistically.
I've heard 'Clinical neurophysiology board review Q&A' is good so was planning on doing that twice.
I was Epilepsy/EEG track so I know I need a lot of brushing up on NM. the shapiro book is daunting however. If people think this was good for board prep though let me know. I know there are other resources too so I am open to that as well.
Thanks, would love to hear from those who have gone thru this process or are going thru it now!

Members don't see this ad.

When I took my recertification exam a couple of years ago, I was able to choose between an EEG track and an EMG track. This was a godsend for me, as I am mostly an EMG-er and would have had a hard time if I had to answer a lot of EEG questions. Hopefully the same is true of initial certification and you can choose the EEG track that you're more comfortable with.

If that's the case, my recommendation for the EMG component would indeed be to read the introductory chapters of Preston/Shapiro (dealing with basic principles, special tests like RNS and blink, technical issues and artifacts) and watch videos of common EMG waveforms (fibs/PSWs, recruitment patterns, specific abnormal waveforms like myotonia, myokymia, fasciculations, CRD, etc) and then re-read whatever resource you used for your Neuro boards to brush up on peripheral nerve anatomy. If I recall correctly there was very little evoked/intraoperative or sleep, but as an EEG-er you would likely be all right with that part anyway (again, I refer to the recertification exam, but initial certification is probably similar).

When I took my recertification exam a couple of years ago, I was able to choose between an EEG track and an EMG track. This was a godsend for me, as I am mostly an EMG-er and would have had a hard time if I had to answer a lot of EEG questions. Hopefully the same is true of initial certification and you can choose the EEG track that you're more comfortable with.

If that's the case, my recommendation for the EMG component would indeed be to read the introductory chapters of Preston/Shapiro (dealing with basic principles, special tests like RNS and blink, technical issues and artifacts) and watch videos of common EMG waveforms (fibs/PSWs, recruitment patterns, specific abnormal waveforms like myotonia, myokymia, fasciculations, CRD, etc) and then re-read whatever resource you used for your Neuro boards to brush up on peripheral nerve anatomy. If I recall correctly there was very little evoked/intraoperative or sleep, but as an EEG-er you would likely be all right with that part anyway (again, I refer to the recertification exam, but initial certification is probably similar).
ACNS or ABPN? ABPN doesn't seem to have tracks. ACNS is another $$ on top of ABPN CNP...

Members don't see this ad :)
ACNS or ABPN? ABPN doesn't seem to have tracks. ACNS is another $$ on top of ABPN CNP...
ABPN. Although now that I look at the ABPN website, the tracks seem to be limited to MOC, not initial certification.

tkhan1031, any recommendations on what you used to study and how the exam went? I am in a similar situation as you. Thanks!