How to select an AuD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HearIAm

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This fall, I will begin applying to grad school for admission into an AuD program. I have already begun narrowing down my search for which schools to apply to, but I am definitely struggling. For those of you who are currently in or about to begin an AuD program, where did you choose to go and WHY?

I don't feel like I need to necessarily go to a top-ranked school, although my GPA is high and I think I may be able to get into some decent schools. Also, I am not bound by any geographical location, but I am from the Midwest and currently attend IU Bloomington for undergrad. I know IU has a good AuD program, but I'd like to try somewhere else for a change. Another 3 year school would be great, though I know there are few (I liked Northwestern a lot, but unless I get great financial aid, it may be too expensive). Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone is curious and can offer insight on these particular schools, here is a list of what I am possibly considering so far:

Purdue
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Pacific University (Oregon)
Gallaudet
USF or maybe UF

Hi! Firstly, I’m not applying YET but I wanted to chat since this forum is always deserted. I think you’re school choices are great and I like your username, too.

From what I’ve read about Purdue it seems like a great school but personally I wouldn’t want to live in Indiana. My FIL taught at Purdue and it just didn’t seem like a fun, exciting, fulfilling place to live. Triple X is yummy place to eat though!

Vanderbilt! One of my choices. Who wouldn’t want to go here, but the funding? Or, lack thereof. Yikes.

Gallaudet also one of my choices. I don’t live far from it. Living in DC is fun but it’s not for the weak or weary, or easily confused. Lots of people in a small area, lots of traffic, lots of tourists, lots of noise, etc. but lots of fun.

Is USF South Florida? I’ve read this is a great program and school with fair funding. Living in Florida would be nice! Being close to a beach and friendly people. What a dream.

What about Wash U in St Louis? It’s in the Midwest. Or, Utah State? Very pretty there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Firstly, I’m not applying YET but I wanted to chat since this forum is always deserted. I think you’re school choices are great and I like your username, too.

From what I’ve read about Purdue it seems like a great school but personally I wouldn’t want to live in Indiana. My FIL taught at Purdue and it just didn’t seem like a fun, exciting, fulfilling place to live. Triple X is yummy place to eat though!

Vanderbilt! One of my choices. Who wouldn’t want to go here, but the funding? Or, lack thereof. Yikes.

Gallaudet also one of my choices. I don’t live far from it. Living in DC is fun but it’s not for the weak or weary, or easily confused. Lots of people in a small area, lots of traffic, lots of tourists, lots of noise, etc. but lots of fun.

Is USF South Florida? I’ve read this is a great program and school with fair funding. Living in Florida would be nice! Being close to a beach and friendly people. What a dream.

What about Wash U in St Louis? It’s in the Midwest. Or, Utah State? Very pretty there!

First off, thanks so much for your response! I'm new to the website so did not realize how dead it was here haha. I appreciate your honest opinions as well, particularly your insight on Gallaudet and the DC area. Not so sure if that sounds like my type of place, but may be worth a visit. And yes, I live in Indiana now at school. It's fine, but I would like to experience something new for a few years. @DefEarRing, may I ask where else you are considering applying and why?

USF is South Florida, and I've heard good things about it. It sure would be nice to live in Florida, but I'm not sure how nice the surrounding Tampa area is? I have considered WashU as well! Actually visited once many years ago and found it really nice...I've noticed that it is one of the few schools that is accredited by the ACAE as opposed to the CAA. Does anyone have any insight on this? Does it really make a difference in terms of the education or the impact on your career?

Hi everyone. This fall, I will begin applying to grad school for admission into an AuD program. I have already begun narrowing down my search for which schools to apply to, but I am definitely struggling. For those of you who are currently in or about to begin an AuD program, where did you choose to go and WHY?

I don't feel like I need to necessarily go to a top-ranked school, although my GPA is high and I think I may be able to get into some decent schools. Also, I am not bound by any geographical location, but I am from the Midwest and currently attend IU Bloomington for undergrad. I know IU has a good AuD program, but I'd like to try somewhere else for a change. Another 3 year school would be great, though I know there are few (I liked Northwestern a lot, but unless I get great financial aid, it may be too expensive). Any help or advice would be appreciated!

If you are from the midwest why not look at some of the programs there? Ohio has tons of great programs (The NOAC consortium is awesom. Ohio State is awesome, Ohio University is decent, as well as Cinci). You've also got several programs in Illinois and like you said you got IU as well.

How I would pick an AuD program is look up some of the faculty there and see what they do in terms of research or outreach and then see if it matches what you think you'd be interested in. The main thing I would suggest is really look at cost and how likely you are to get financial assistance. Many of the smaller state programs offer great financial assistance to high quality applicants because they have to to attract them from the higher ranked programs. No one in audiology starts out making serious cash so those student loans are going to be a burden until you get a good job. I would go somewhere where you can lessen your financial out of pocket cost (especially through loans) and live simply and graduate with the least amount of debt possible. Then you won't feel the need to take a job you wouldn't normally want (ie. selling hearing aids to make commission to make more money) and can focus on what you want to do (say pediatrics, which pays horrible and requires tons of work!).

First off, thanks so much for your response! I'm new to the website so did not realize how dead it was here haha. I appreciate your honest opinions as well, particularly your insight on Gallaudet and the DC area. Not so sure if that sounds like my type of place, but may be worth a visit. And yes, I live in Indiana now at school. It's fine, but I would like to experience something new for a few years. @DefEarRing, may I ask where else you are considering applying and why?

USF is South Florida, and I've heard good things about it. It sure would be nice to live in Florida, but I'm not sure how nice the surrounding Tampa area is? I have considered WashU as well! Actually visited once many years ago and found it really nice...I've noticed that it is one of the few schools that is accredited by the ACAE as opposed to the CAA. Does anyone have any insight on this? Does it really make a difference in terms of the education or the impact on your career?

Hey, so sorry I’m just seeing this! I hope you have found a bit more insight to your questions.

Yes DC is always worth a visit but you’ll leave and be thankful you don’t live here. It’s nice, I enjoy it most of the time, but I love it when I drive down south to say NC or SC and sit on the beach, or drive through their quiet small towns, etc. Very relaxing.

Speaking of NC. Have you looked into UNC at Chapel Hill? It’s also one of my picks. Haven’t had a chance to tour the AuD program/professors/faculties, but the campus is nice, not overly crowded, and clean. I can’t say the same for Univ of Maryland.

I’m also looking into Utah State because they have mission trips or what they call humanitarian trips to Costa Rica or Nicaragua. That is something I’m VERY interested in, and find my passion lies. Helping others that do not have the help we do in America. Especially deaf children.

There is also UNL, Univ of Nebraska-Lincoln. I like the Midwest. I have family in Iowa. Omaha’s the best place to raise a family. People are friendly! The tuition won’t cost me an arm and a leg, or possibly my first born as well. Lol

I look at three major factors when I look at grad schools. The funding they offer, do they off abroad opportunities or mission trips, and how is the cost of living in the area. I have three children.. I’m getting started late. I’m in my early 30’s. I don’t have time to dilly-dally :) is like to go to school, graduate, not pay forever on loans, and just live out my life happy, healthy, and helping others.

Best of luck to you!!

If anyone is curious and can offer insight on these particular schools, here is a list of what I am possibly considering so far:

Purdue
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Pacific University (Oregon)
Gallaudet
USF or maybe UF

Hi there,

I haven't been on here in some time, but I am a current student at Vanderbilt and would be happy to answer any questions if you did end up applying and are awaiting a reply. Out of those schools, I had also gotten into and considered Purdue.

Hi there,

I haven't been on here in some time, but I am a current student at Vanderbilt and would be happy to answer any questions if you did end up applying and are awaiting a reply. Out of those schools, I had also gotten into and considered Purdue.

I am definitely curious about Vanderbilt! Any advice you could offer? What made your application competitive? Grades, GRE score, volunteering?
Thanks!