How to see what aways are "within reach" without a graded board score yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brain Whisperer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to psychiatry and want to do a few aways. Historically, it's recommended to go for programs that are within reach, but with just a P on COMLEX for now, and average class rank, I'm not sure how to determine what programs to apply for. Anyone have any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Residency explorer it shows data not only for boards, but also research, job experiences, percent DO vs MD, ect.

Any institution that takes you for an away will be within reach. Aways are guaranteed interviews (or near-guaranteed interviews, barring horrific audition performance). Psychiatry programs tend to not care very much about board scores, as long as you pass.

Apply broadly to mid- and upper-tier institutions within your desired geographic region. Include uncompetitive community programs if they strongly interest you due to location or other factors.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a correlation plot between grades and board scores. Usually, schools make ones that are internal. You can also see what projected scores you had in step 1 for NBME tests

Won't most MDs also be applying with P/F on part 1 of their boards. I don't see how you're at a disadvantage.

Won't most MDs also be applying with P/F on part 1 of their boards. I don't see how you're at a disadvantage.
USMLE has always been considered the stronger exam compared to COMLEX. Passing Step 1 never meant the same thing as passing Level 1. And many university programs will still filter applications based on having USMLE exams or not.

Reactions: 2 users
When a decently passing comlex is a failing step, yeah they don't look the same to PDs

I also applied psych with only COMLEX scores. If the programs take COMLEX as well I would apply to the away and see what happens. For me, it was tough to guage competitiveness for aways because the rules aren't exactly the same for residency apps. You could do an away and not get an interview but at least have a strong LOR from a reputable institution.