PhD/PsyD How to put pre-doctoral fellowship on CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychSupreme

Ph.D. Student | M.A. Clinical Psychology
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all! I'm an incoming first-year Ph.D. student in a fully-funded clinical science program (APA and PCSAS). My department can nominate 1 student per incoming cohort for a competitive fellowship awarded by the university graduate school for students doing research in a scientific area germane to human life. I was nominated for, and unexpectedly won, that fellowship (not sure how many folks were nominated or what the final pool of awardees is, but it's relatively exclusive). As part of the fellowship, I will have 4 years of funding above the dept stipend rate and will not have to TA or RA during that time. I also will have to do research rotations outside of my primary lab and attend quarterly grand rounds where other fellows will present their research. Question--how does one put this kind of the thing on a CV? I know it would go under "Scholarships/Awards/Fellowships" or whatever, but how does one appropriately describe the fellowship? Do you just write a short blurb underneath it indicating why it was awarded and what it entails, or just keep the name and the dates and leave it at that? I've always been taught not to overdo a CV with explanatory bullets and such, so currently the only section with any explanatory material is the research experience section (some bullets about job duties and clinical populations). Anyway, just want to make sure I am writing up my materials in a professionally-appropriate manner. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not quite clear if this is an assistantship of some kind or just a blanket institutional award with strings attached. If the former, I'd list it as a position you held. If the latter, I'd list it under awards.
It's billed/presented to us as a pre-doctoral fellowship which pays our stipend (plus extra) in lieu of a TAship or RAship--all they ask of us in return is that we attend the quarterly grand rounds and that we do pre-approved research rotations in labs outside of our own and produce some kind of output while in that lab (co-authorship on a paper/poster/chapter/editorial/etc.). The selection process was competitive inasmuch as each dept in the "life sciences" bucket (psych, bio, neurosci, etc.) was only able to nominate a single student, and we had to submit application materials and a research statement. Only a shortlist of nominees were awarded to fellowship. The dept and the grad school both call it a fellowship, so I'm unsure what to make of it and unsure if it should be thoroughly described in the CV (X Fellowship, Fall 2024 - present; Description: blah blah). Or if I can just list the title of the fellowship and its dates like I would a degree (X Fellowship, Fall 2024 - present).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's literally billed/presented to us as a pre-doctoral fellowship which pays our stipend (plus extra) in lieu of a TAship or RAship--all they as of us in return is that we attend the quarterly grand rounds and that we do pre-approved research rotations in labs outside of our own and produce some kind of output while in that lab (co-authorship on a paper/poster/chapter/editorial/etc.). The dept and the grad school both call it a fellowship, so I'm unsure what to make of it and unsure if it should be thoroughly described in the CV (X Fellowship, Fall 2024 - present; Description: blah blah). Or if I can just list the title of the fellowship and its dates like I would a degree (X Fellowship, Fall 2024 - present).

K. IMHO, that would fall in the award category similar to an institutional dissertation fellowship where you're paid to collect your data and dissertate. If you PM me, I'll give you some examples of new faculty CVs. That might help you.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I listed my fellowship under awards on my CV.

Reactions: 1 user
I received two awards similar to yours, both awarded to only one incoming graduate student and reduced my teaching load (though I still offered to teach...). Referencing the above posts, I also placed mine under the awards section and I put the total amount awarded even though it was evenly dispersed monthly across the length of the award (4 years). I don't currently have a description of the award, only the name, dates, and amount. The advice that's been provided to me through mentors is to remove almost all descriptions throughout my CV except a short description under my graduate school clinical experiences, since that's likely the most relevant to internship applications. That said, I'm curious if other posters here, particularly internship application reviewers, would have any input.

The advice that's been provided to me through mentors is to remove almost all descriptions throughout my CV
This is also the advice under which I have operated for years, with the exception of research experiences (which now I can probably reduce since I am in a program and no longer need to "demonstrate" my research prowess for admissions purposes).

This is also the advice under which I have operated for years, with the exception of research experiences (which now I can probably reduce since I am in a program and no longer need to "demonstrate" my research prowess for admissions purposes).
I would actually keep this, but keep it concise. It’ll come in handy for applying to other fellowships, internship, and fellowship.

I agree with others about listing this protected fellowship time under awards. Congrats!

I would actually keep this, but keep it concise. It’ll come in handy for applying to other fellowships, internship, and fellowship.

I agree with others about listing this protected fellowship time under awards. Congrats!
Thank you!