How to not play games 24/7 with COVID classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted804295

I literally have no motivation for class at all lol.

I was playing games today while 'listening' to zoom classes and I literally cant be bothered.

How do you all stay motivated?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I've been doing but I feel so behind because my Type A classmates are freaking out about problems that don't yet exist and I get confused.
Ignore them. Make your own schedule and stick to it

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
I'm in the same boat. 0% motivation for lecture so I'm just watching boards & beyond instead and it's a bit more motivating because I can tell myself I'm "studying for STEP".

Reactions: 1 users
I woke up at noon pretty much everyday during the first 2 years, unless we had mandatory lab/humanities thing. Reviewed everything from the day prior, played lecture videos back at 2x speed, and made notes from lecture, FA, Pathoma, and whatever question bank I was going through. Made plenty of time for breaks, PC gaming, etc. Went to bed around midnight each night.

Don’t listen to your classmates and their methods. Half the time, they’re just telling you about their methods for external validation or to brag, not to selflessly help you. Everyone is different, and don’t knock your study methods if they’re working. Just make your own plan and stick to it.

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Eh, I gamed throughout all of med school and just crammed before exams. People need to chill.

• Wow
  • Okay...
Reactions: 22 users
Eh, I gamed throughout all of med school and just crammed before exams. People need to chill.
Thank you

There's like no reason for us to tear our hair anymore especially as MS1s. P/F step 1, P/F classes, no internal rankings for AOA.

I'm going to just chill and play games and hang out with friends and cram before exams

I think a lot of us M1s are having a weird experience right now.

We’re starting school without meeting our classmates (video chats don’t count), losing opportunities to do anything other than straight studying (e.g., now’s a bad time to shadow in a rads reading room or network), and missing the traditional rites of passage.

To add fuel to the fire, many of us have a pass/fail, truly-unranked preclerkship curriculum and reasonable expectation of pass/fail board exams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

I was playing games today while 'listening' to zoom classes and I literally cant be bothered.

How do you all stay motivated?
what games you play?
True story; roommate of mine played league while doing uworld for step 1 and recall the step 1 question/concept based on the match he played/ what had happened... blew up with a 260+ and is in ortho... of course he is the exception XD

• Haha
  • Wow
I only play video games in the evening for about 30-60 min. when I'm literally too tired to do anything else. It's my pre-sleep chill.

Reactions: 1 user
I woke up at noon pretty much everyday during the first 2 years, unless we had mandatory lab/humanities thing. Reviewed everything from the day prior, played lecture videos back at 2x speed, and made notes from lecture, FA, Pathoma, and whatever question bank I was going through. Made plenty of time for breaks, PC gaming, etc. Went to bed around midnight each night.

Don’t listen to your classmates and their methods. Half the time, they’re just telling you about their methods for external validation or to brag, not to selflessly help you. Everyone is different, and don’t knock your study methods if they’re working. Just make your own plan and stick to it.

You woke up at noon and went to bed around midnight? You slept for 12 hours every night? :eek:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You woke up at noon and went to bed around midnight? You slept for 12 hours every night? :eek:

Yup! We had mandatory labs and humanities at 7:30am two times a week, so it evened out.

I think a lot of us M1s are having a weird experience right now.

We’re starting school without meeting our classmates (video chats don’t count), losing opportunities to do anything other than straight studying (e.g., now’s a bad time to shadow in a rads reading room or network), and missing the traditional rites of passage.

To add fuel to the fire, many of us have a pass/fail, truly-unranked preclerkship curriculum and reasonable expectation of pass/fail board exams.
I’d take this any day if the week over what us new M4s have had to deal with haha but I agree definitely a weird year all sround

I’m an M4 and game every single night. At least 2 hours. Warzone. Do your thing man. People just talk to talk, especially in med school. I swear overall people just get bored and create drama within the class , etc. Just keep your head down and in your own lane and you will do great things.

^ League is actually the perfect game for med school, I queue up and study while in queue, I lose 5 in a row because mah team so I quit for a day or two and study extra during those days but then I come back because it's league after all you can't just quit, so it actually works out quite well; at least it did the first two years.

This is what I've been doing but I feel so behind because my Type A classmates are freaking out about problems that don't yet exist in classes and I get confused.
Haha....our first pre comp is on the 24th and I'm already stressed about being behind...

• Care
We have a class groupme and I’m convinced a few people occasionally ask obscure content questions to passively flex about how they’re working through super detailed stuff. Whatever.

• Haha
We have a class groupme and I’m convinced a few people occasionally ask obscure content questions to passively flex about how they’re working through super detailed stuff. Whatever.
Yep. Same thing here.

Congrats you're working on lectures two days ahead of everyone else as if we don't all have the same STEP and graduation date. I'm super impressed :claps:

• Haha
Yep. Same thing here.

Congrats you're working on lectures two days ahead of everyone else as if we don't all have the same STEP and graduation date. I'm super impressed :claps:

That is extremely corny and annoying behavior. These are the same ones that'll be proudly walking around with their FA on display for everyone to see, like no one cares, just shut up

Yep. Same thing here.

Uh..its also possible they're just asking questions. They're not necessarily flexing. Like some benefit of the doubt, maybe their different in person.

Uh..its also possible they're just asking questions. They're not necessarily flexing. Like some benefit of the doubt, maybe their different in person.
Glad you know my class better than me. Hope you're not this person.

It happens in person too. I was doing some Anki cards one time and some guy tried to pimp me...like while I was studying, he had the audacity to interrupt me and try to establish the fact that he knew more than me. Like I do not give a fack, leave me alone, you donut

• Haha
The bigger question is how do people manage to do 500-1000 + Anki reviews daily for their board prep deck and not get burnt out. I know people whose whole day consists of studying when they wake up til sleep with some breaks in between for the necessities: food, poop, masturbation probably.

It happens in person too. I was doing some Anki cards one time and some guy tried to pimp me...like while I was studying, he had the audacity to interrupt me and try to establish the fact that he knew more than me. Like I do not give a fack, leave me alone, you donut
okay ya that is blatant. nvm.

The bigger question is how do people manage to do 500-1000 + Anki reviews daily for their board prep deck and not get burnt out. I know people whose whole day consists of studying when they wake up til sleep with some breaks in between for the necessities: food, poop, masturbation probably.

Focused intensity and frequent breaks. At the height of my reviews (averaging 750-800/day), I was finishing everything before 5-6, with other board stuff and school crap on top. It just takes efficiency.

• Wow

Had this happen in anatomy lab last year. If I had wanted a “tutoring” session or a quiz session, I would have signed up for one. I was with a study partner too, which made it worse because the guy (from our own class) just felt the need to come over and start quizzing us on parts were weren’t even focusing on at the time. o_O

Focused intensity and frequent breaks. At the height of my reviews (averaging 750-800/day), I was finishing everything before 5-6, with other board stuff and school crap on top. It just takes efficiency.

I agree with you. I do my reviews too. It’s actually fairly fast if you first use like pathoma or boards and beyond then unsuspend. I find that even if I skip reviews quickly randomly hitting again so cards I don’t know don’t get flown 1 month away, I still know a lot of random stuff. It does work.

Had this happen in anatomy lab last year. If I had wanted a “tutoring” session or a quiz session, I would have signed up for one. I was with a study partner too, which made it worse because the guy (from our own class) just felt the need to come over and start quizzing us on parts were weren’t even focusing on at the time. o_O

It's like they don't understand how cringe that is, like focus on yourself and stop trying to act superior

It's like they don't understand how cringe that

Honestly bro I sincerely don’t think they understand how cringe it is. I think, most of the time, it’s a total lack of self awareness.

Although tbh it really doesn’t matter to me what their intentions were - people like this go on my IRL ignore list immediately. After enough ignoring they won’t bother engaging with me anymore.

Honestly bro I sincerely don’t think they understand how cringe it is. I think, most of the time, it’s a total lack of self awareness.

Although tbh it really doesn’t matter to me what their intentions were - people like this go on my IRL ignore list immediately. After enough ignoring they won’t bother engaging with me anymore.
I would hope someone like this does a complete 180 at some point and becomes normal. And makes friends. I hope.