How to Match ENT with low STEP score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugar12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just got my step score back and sadly it's a 235 - much lower that predicted. While this is a huge setback, I am determined to do whatever I can to improve my chances and possibly match to ENT. I am currently a new MS3. Research wise I have 1 case report + presentation and I am currently working on 2 ENT-related systematic review papers, one of which I will be first author on. I'm going to pick up more projects as the year goes on.

Do you think a strong STEP 2 score (250+?) could possibly make up for my low STEP 1? Since STEP 1 is about to be pass/fail, I was wondering if programs are going to shift towards focusing less on step scores.

Also if I took a gap year, did a lot of research and applied with the class that has a P/F step, would I have a decent chance of matching? Or would my 235 be still held against me?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

First and foremost you should come up with a backup plan if you don't/can't match into ENT. That's the most realistic and pertinent advice, though it may be tough to hear.

Everything else you said is accurate. A 250+ will help. More research will help (2 is low and the 4 total is low). Absolutely no one has any idea what a gap year and moving to the class with P/F Step 1 will do because it hasn't happened yet. It is likely your 235 will still be held against you however because that information is available in your app and you'll be competing with people who don't have that problem and likely have a step 2 in the 250-270 range. Your chances of matching ENT under the best case scenario are not good. Not zero, but not good.

Reactions: 2 users
In ENT, according to residents and ms4s that recently matched, who you know is king. Getting LoRs from big names is a huge deal and can directly lead to interview invites. In fact, I know of a student who did not receive an interview in the first round of invites to one of their top choices. They reached out to their mentor and had them write an email to the program. They are now a resident at that program.

Point is that you should be developing relationships with the people in your department who will go to bat for you when your applying. Usually research is the easiest way to make those connections but spending time in the OR and clinics where you can demonstrate interest and enthusiasm for the field can also go a long way

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In ENT, according to residents and ms4s that recently matched, who you know is king. Getting LoRs from big names is a huge deal and can directly lead to interview invites. In fact, I know of a student who did not receive an interview in the first round of invites to one of their top choices. They reached out to their mentor and had them write an email to the program. They are now a resident at that program.

Point is that you should be developing relationships with the people in your department who will go to bat for you when your applying. Usually research is the easiest way to make those connections but spending time in the OR and clinics where you can demonstrate interest and enthusiasm for the field can also go a long way
I am doing research with the former director and have shadowed the current director a few times. Will work on building a stronger relationship. Do you think connections would be enough to overlook the 235?

I wouldn't call a 235 a low Step 1 score. Uncompetitive for ENT sure but its not low.

Reactions: 1 user
I am doing research with the former director and have shadowed the current director a few times. Will work on building a stronger relationship. Do you think connections would be enough to overlook the 235?
Some programs may or may not screen you out. It’s only one data point and will depend on other factors and what the individual programs value

There are lots of good threads on this in the ent subgroup and in general all the advice still stands. There’s an ebb and flow of competitiveness for ENT. Last year was especially brutal - something like 25-30% didn’t match, including many with step scores over 250 and strong applications in general. A couple years before that the match rate was near 100% and some programs even had to soap. A few year before that when I applied it was back to 20-25% unmatched. It’s hard to know where your year will fall on the pendulum, but best to err on the side of assuming it’s going to be rough.

A 235 won’t keep you out of ENT but it does make your job harder. Nothing you can do about it now so time to focus on what you can do. Clinical grades are one thing - getting all honors would be helpful. Step 2 also takes on more relevance for you, so you will want to take it early enough that scores get released to programs before they review apps. Obviously you need to do very well on it. Thankfully the scales are different so a 250 on step 2 is about the same percentile as a 235 on step 1. Most PDs don’t know/care about that though. Just put up a kick arse number on step 2 snd make sure you craft your schedule you allow sufficient study time, though honestly your shelf prep will be your biggest step 2 prep.

So now we come to research and this is something you will need to have. You may even find it worthwhile to take an extra year and crank out a lot of pubs. This is a tried and true method for people matching ent with below average numbers. Not only do the pubs help, but it can also lead to better letters and maybe even a spot at the program where you do research.

Beyond that, make sure to be a star clinically, kiss lots of booty, and apply broadly. Make sure your step 1 score looks very out of place in an otherwise stellar application and you will do well.

Reactions: 1 users
There are lots of good threads on this in the ent subgroup and in general all the advice still stands. There’s an ebb and flow of competitiveness for ENT. Last year was especially brutal - something like 25-30% didn’t match, including many with step scores over 250 and strong applications in general. A couple years before that the match rate was near 100% and some programs even had to soap. A few year before that when I applied it was back to 20-25% unmatched. It’s hard to know where your year will fall on the pendulum, but best to err on the side of assuming it’s going to be rough.

A 235 won’t keep you out of ENT but it does make your job harder. Nothing you can do about it now so time to focus on what you can do. Clinical grades are one thing - getting all honors would be helpful. Step 2 also takes on more relevance for you, so you will want to take it early enough that scores get released to programs before they review apps. Obviously you need to do very well on it. Thankfully the scales are different so a 250 on step 2 is about the same percentile as a 235 on step 1. Most PDs don’t know/care about that though. Just put up a kick arse number on step 2 snd make sure you craft your schedule you allow sufficient study time, though honestly your shelf prep will be your biggest step 2 prep.

So now we come to research and this is something you will need to have. You may even find it worthwhile to take an extra year and crank out a lot of pubs. This is a tried and true method for people matching ent with below average numbers. Not only do the pubs help, but it can also lead to better letters and maybe even a spot at the program where you do research.

Beyond that, make sure to be a star clinically, kiss lots of booty, and apply broadly. Make sure your step 1 score looks very out of place in an otherwise stellar application and you will do well.
Thank you! I appreciate this.

A 235 Step 1 being a red flag for ENT is something that's very troubling to me. It's an example why i can't entirely hate the shift to P/F Step 1

OP you got great advice. Focus on nailing clinical years, acing Step 2 and getting great letters from big names