How to break through 128 on CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coolguy23

Reaction score
I started out on CARS with a 128 and haven't really studied it that much over the course of my mcat study period. I'm taking my exam on June 1st. Do any of you have any advice for how I could increase it? I felt pretty good when I took my first full length and actually had a bit of time to spare at the end (Like a couple minutes). Should I just slam a bunch of CARS passages and hope my brain learns how to do it better?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drilling passages and being able to identify what mistake you made and what you can do to avoid that for future questions can be helpful. Maintaining a "wrong answer" journal specifically for the hardest CARS Qs/passages may also have value!

I think a good approach is look at each question you got wrong and go INTO the passage to find exactly what piece(s) of evidence support the correct answer. Oftentimes a lot of wrong answers won't be 100% wrong, but rather are framed in a way that they're not the MOST correct answer.

I would also purposefully take your time when reading through on CARS...after each paragraph, jot down a few words summarizing and after the whole passage identify the main idea(s)/arguments and tone/mood. These are the questions that arise the most.

Reactions: 1 user
I think a good approach is look at each question you got wrong and go INTO the passage to find exactly what piece(s) of evidence support the correct answer. Oftentimes a lot of wrong answers won't be 100% wrong, but rather are framed in a way that they're not the MOST correct answer.

I would also purposefully take your time when reading through on CARS...after each paragraph, jot down a few words summarizing and after the whole passage identify the main idea(s)/arguments and tone/mood. These are the questions that arise the most.
Maybe it would help if I gave myself some extra time to go through passages while I'm studying to really flesh out the reasoning. I usually will finish a passage + questions in like 7-8 minutes. I'll try what you said with the extra time I'll give myself.