How to ask for vet shadowing/volunteering? / Opportunities near NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nekrom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! :):):) I know this question gets asked a lot here but I still need some help getting vet experience. I'm a little late to the party to the whole thing (college sophomore) so I am quite eager to get those vet experience hours.

I have been following the advice in the old threads on this forum. I called about 3~4 animal hospitals around my neighborhood and I stopped by in person and dropped off my resume/cover letter. However unfortunately, I have been having little luck. Some of the clinics asked me to email my resume to their manager, and all of them told me to wait for a call back. When I visit them, I have trouble get past the receptionists because they always tell me that the vets are not available and I should leave a message/email them and wait.

Are they trying to reject me politely when they tell me to wait for a call back? Should I be more persistent on trying to talk to the vet? Would that be too annoying? If anyone was able to get a shadowing opportunity by dropping off resumes, how long did it take you?

Thanks for taking your time to read this :):)

PS. If anyone knows any opportunities around NYC please tell me I will be really thankful!!;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I assume you don't have any pets that you have a vet for? I went to my vet that my dogs and cat go to and asked them about shadowing and they let me, so I'm assuming you don't have any (or are away at school or something and are away from your pets and their vet). If you're just away from your pets' vet, you could potentially just shadow over breaks (Christmas and summer). But I think either way, vets prefer it if you actually stop in their clinic and ask in person versus just cold calling everywhere. I know that my vet doesn't particularly like cold calling and I assume at least some others are the same way.
But when you go in to places to ask, make sure you dress professionally because you want to make a good impression.

Are there any humane societies/shelters nearby? Some have vet facilities (the one near me has a full service clinic that treats their animals and outside ones too) and there's a possibility that the vets there would let you come in and shadow.

I hope you have some luck soon!

I find it emailing a resume and cover letter is usually the best way to contact clinics, because then the vets can respond when they're not busy. I've gotten three shadowing positions that way. I only got one by going in person. In that case the receptionist looked at my resume and realized she knew a bunch of people from one of my past jobs so we talked for awhile and she put in a good word for me.

You also have to be aware that some places don't allow volunteers for certain reasons (to small, general policies, emergency clinics generally, etc), so it is always best to call and see if they take volunteers first (front desk people usually know). I definitely also recommend trying somewhere that you take your pets, your friends/family take their pets, you know someone who can put in a good word. Sometimes an way in is just knowing the right people. You could always start volunteering at a shelter (can count towards animal experience). Shelters usually have a set vet clinic so you could get a reference from the shelter manager to get a volunteer position at that clinic. Hope this helps! I wish you all the luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume you don't have any pets that you have a vet for? I went to my vet that my dogs and cat go to and asked them about shadowing and they let me, so I'm assuming you don't have any (or are away at school or something and are away from your pets and their vet). If you're just away from your pets' vet, you could potentially just shadow over breaks (Christmas and summer). But I think either way, vets prefer it if you actually stop in their clinic and ask in person versus just cold calling everywhere. I know that my vet doesn't particularly like cold calling and I assume at least some others are the same way.
But when you go in to places to ask, make sure you dress professionally because you want to make a good impression.

Are there any humane societies/shelters nearby? Some have vet facilities (the one near me has a full service clinic that treats their animals and outside ones too) and there's a possibility that the vets there would let you come in and shadow.

I hope you have some luck soon!

Hi SkiOtter! Thanks for the reply. You are right - My family doesn't have a pet actually, and we don't know anyone that currently owns one, which sucks. My problem is that when I go to the clinics in person, the receptionists never let me see the vet. They always tell me to leave a message, go home and wait. Have you had this situation before?

I find it emailing a resume and cover letter is usually the best way to contact clinics, because then the vets can respond when they're not busy. I've gotten three shadowing positions that way. I only got one by going in person. In that case the receptionist looked at my resume and realized she knew a bunch of people from one of my past jobs so we talked for awhile and she put in a good word for me.

You also have to be aware that some places don't allow volunteers for certain reasons (to small, general policies, emergency clinics generally, etc), so it is always best to call and see if they take volunteers first (front desk people usually know). I definitely also recommend trying somewhere that you take your pets, your friends/family take their pets, you know someone who can put in a good word. Sometimes an way in is just knowing the right people. You could always start volunteering at a shelter (can count towards animal experience). Shelters usually have a set vet clinic so you could get a reference from the shelter manager to get a volunteer position at that clinic. Hope this helps! I wish you all the luck!!

Hi Snowshoedog143! Thank you for the reply. I'm really happy to hear this because none of the clinics rejected me directly with those reasons, so that means I still have a chance? I also did email some of them my resume - how long did it take for them to give you a feedback after emailing them? I might be too impatient XD

In terms of shelters, I am volunteering at the city's public shelter right now. Sadly we do not have a full-service vet on site, and ASPCA requires volunteers at least 21 in their medical crew. But I will definitely check with my supervisor if he knows any other vets.

I had a really hard time and thought I'd never get an opportunity. I reached a point where...after talking to admissions at a few schools and being told that without experience I had almost no shot, I started just emailing my resume to every shelter and vet hospital in the area every single month until I got a reply. It took a few months, but eventually someone responded and I got my foot in the door. Just keep reaching out and contacting different groups, a lot of shelters need help and if you keep trying, someone will give you that opportunity. Persistence is key! :)

First experience is always the hardest-once you have your foot in the door it becomes a lot easier to find places. It took me over 1.5 years to get my first regular clinical position. I had shadowed about 5 days at a practice a month prior, and that was just enough to get my resume accepted.
Just don't give up!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Snowshoedog143! Thank you for the reply. I'm really happy to hear this because none of the clinics rejected me directly with those reasons, so that means I still have a chance? I also did email some of them my resume - how long did it take for them to give you a feedback after emailing them? I might be too impatient XD.

I emailed about 15 clinics near me when I was first trying to find a position. I don't remember how long it took.. a couple weeks maybe? After a week or two you can always email them again letting them know you are still interested. The first shadowing job is always the hardest to get, so don't give up!

Hi guys! :):):) I know this question gets asked a lot here but I still need some help getting vet experience. I'm a little late to the party to the whole thing (college sophomore) so I am quite eager to get those vet experience hours.

I have been following the advice in the old threads on this forum. I called about 3~4 animal hospitals around my neighborhood and I stopped by in person and dropped off my resume/cover letter.

What are you asking them when you go there?

What are you asking them when you go there?

I told them that I was a pre-vet student looking for experience and I wondered if I could talk to anyone about volunteering or shadowing with them. Then they usually say nobody is available now and ask me to drop off my resume and phone number.

I emailed about 15 clinics near me when I was first trying to find a position. I don't remember how long it took.. a couple weeks maybe? After a week or two you can always email them again letting them know you are still interested. The first shadowing job is always the hardest to get, so don't give up!

Sorry that I didn't see your reply, my notifications got turned off somehow :(( Thank you for the advice on following up! I'm planning to email and visit again this week.