How snooty tooty are ophtho residency directors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoopdizzle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Cornell, but I was just wondering if the residency directors for this field care about where you go to school. I would prefer if they didn't, but I know that for fields like this going to a reputable school helps. But how much? I don't care about getting into a "top" residency, any one will do. Isn't it hard enough getting into this field?

Also, any tips for a lowly M1 in order to work towards an optho residency? I realize things can change, but this field just seems awesome to me. Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Where can I find these Frequently Asked Questions? Much obliged...

Members don't see this ad :)
I see them... thanks a bundle!

Agree c above. Alma mater matters, scores, letters, record probably matter more. From my experience with opthal, connection matters a great deal. My school (a top 15 private school)'s ophthal department is all very cliquey and very anal, with lots of inter-departmental strife and power-struggles. The ophthal PD at my school is probably the biggest loser I have ever seen. I was originally interested in ophthal, but that dude just pisses me off when I rotated through opthal for my 3rd year elective rotation. He is so used to getting his ass french-kissed and having his ego rubbed (especially from the aspiring 4th year audition students) that he will sound so cocky and fake to everyone else. Basically, the 4th year audition opthal rotation at my school is like a sucking-up contest and see who can suck this dude up the best. He especially like to have his ego rubbed by pretty, young 4th year female MS4s auditioning here. In my 2 weeks on the service i see him hitting up some pretty sweet conversations with a couple nice lookers here that include some pretty personal questions, IMO. I was awed and disgusted beyond belief when i heard those things first hand.

Alas, I am only speaking for my school's PD, but just be warned.

What's a PD? Program director? And also, please tell me that you're not at Cornell...

Nope not Cornell... :)

Originally posted by Renovar
He especially like to have his ego rubbed by pretty, young 4th year female MS4s auditioning here.
that's right....what'd you expect? for us to actually have to work hard like you ugly guys?

no, seriously, i've seen this a lot, too. but i guess that's life.

Originally posted by do2md
that's right....what'd you expect? for us to actually have to work hard like you ugly guys?

no, seriously, i've seen this a lot, too. but i guess that's life.

Actually I'd expect y'all to "work" harder... just not at the hospital. If you know what I mean... :)

Agree c above. Alma mater matters, scores, letters, record probably matter more. From my experience with opthal, connection matters a great deal. My school (a top 15 private school)'s ophthal department is all very cliquey and very anal, with lots of inter-departmental strife and power-struggles. The ophthal PD at my school is probably the biggest loser I have ever seen. I was originally interested in ophthal, but that dude just pisses me off when I rotated through opthal for my 3rd year elective rotation. He is so used to getting his ass french-kissed and having his ego rubbed (especially from the aspiring 4th year audition students) that he will sound so cocky and fake to everyone else. Basically, the 4th year audition opthal rotation at my school is like a sucking-up contest and see who can suck this dude up the best. He especially like to have his ego rubbed by pretty, young 4th year female MS4s auditioning here. In my 2 weeks on the service i see him hitting up some pretty sweet conversations with a couple nice lookers here that include some pretty personal questions, IMO. I was awed and disgusted beyond belief when i heard those things first hand.

Alas, I am only speaking for my school's PD, but just be warned.

I really can't believe the validity of this post...however, like they always say...truth is stranger than fiction...I don't think an individual like you've described should be allowed to continue in his present position....I'd report him...I also would not let your experience with one person dissuade you from pursuing what interests you

Let's just put it this way, I was interested in finding out more about the speciality, but the fact that our home department is filled with such BS, it's hard to let it fall to a deaf ear. And about this PD, everything I said previously was true, and the sad thing is I did not exaggerate. And the thing is, who is there to report? Everyone around him are applicants who needs a favor from him, everyone is kissing his ass, and he will give the boot to anyone who doesn't. He's got so much clout in that department that he pretty much single-handedly convinced our med school's dean to hire his former collegue as the new department head. Even though I have no great affection for this guy, I am not about to risk my own academic and professional future to report this jerk on ground of some questionable comments.

Sometimes the life goes that your influences determine who you are. Just the same way as a great faculty mentor may inspire me to go into a particular field, a horrible one will do the same to discourage me. He (as well as the department here) has done just that for me.

Let's just put it this way, I was interested in finding out more about the speciality, but the fact that our home department is filled with such BS, it's hard to let it fall to a deaf ear. And about this PD, everything I said previously was true, and the sad thing is I did not exaggerate. And the thing is, who is there to report? Everyone around him are applicants who needs a favor from him, everyone is kissing his ass, and he will give the boot to anyone who doesn't. He's got so much clout in that department that he pretty much single-handedly convinced our med school's dean to hire his former collegue as the new department head. Even though I have no great affection for this guy, I am not about to risk my own academic and professional future to report this jerk on ground of some questionable comments.

Sometimes the life goes that your influences determine who you are. Just the same way as a great faculty mentor may inspire me to go into a particular field, a horrible one will do the same to discourage me. He (as well as the department here) has done just that for me.

Well, this is an extremely unfortunate situation you have yourself in. I guess I was fortunate enough to have been influenced by physicians who are the direct antithesis to the individual you have described. My father had the opportunity during his training to work extensively with Dr. Edmund Spaeth. This gentleman was one of the most conscientious and skillful eye surgeon of his time. He was also greatly respected for his integrity and patient care. His son Dr. George Spaeth, is the current director of Glaucoma Services at the Wills Eye Hospital.

There will be unscrupulous individuals in whatever specialty you ultimately choose. It seems that certain individuals become corrupt when given any form of power or influence over others. I would take this opportunity as a very valuable lesson in life. The future of medicine is dependent upon honest and hard working individuals that are dedicated to their chosen profession.

Ophthalmology is a wonderful specialty that is filled with many opportunities for both professional and personal growth. The majority of surgeons I have had the pleasure of meeting are a very happy, rested, and pleasant bunch. They also happen to be some of the more caring and compassionate as well.

I would seek out more appropriate mentors if you have a genuine desire to learn more about this wonderful specialty. Dr. Doan and the University of Iowa Department of Ophthalmology sound like a possible option. I think I would speak for the majority in saying that this specialty would hate to lose a potential colleague because of your experience with one "bad apple."

I hope things work out for you in the end.

Optho residencies do care where you're from. Top places to be from include: HArvard, Stanford, Cornell, Yale, Johns Hopkins, etc. Gret optho residencies exist at all these top places too.

Oh things worked out fine for me, and thanks for your concern. That dude is a bad taste in the mouth, no doubt, but in my rotation I learned what I need to know in opthal, and the clerkship director (a different, much nicer individual) gave me very flattering comments on my eval (she really wanted to see me going into opthal, but I told her straight up sorry). Just that I wouldn't have to deal with this jerk no more.

Part of the reason why I didn't end up pursuing opthal is that I dont want to limit myself just to the eyes... I can only speak for myself, as I felt I couldnt standing seeing eye after eye after eye. A surgeon I followed in that clerkship does nothing but cataract surgery, does 10 cases of that a day, 4 days a week (with 1 day clinic to see f/u patients). I was mad bored after my 2nd case with him.

Again this is my own experience. I can't argue with the lifestyle and the income issues (the two riches docs associated with this particular medical center, to my knowledge, are the high volume lasik surgeons, each prolly make good $2 mil a year) but it's just not for me.

I do agree that Alma Mater and connections matter to some extent, but I am living proof that other things are more important. I attended medical school at a Midwest institution that is very solid clinically, but does not carry the reputation of some of the afforementioned programs. However, my grades, work experience (former career in a discipline other than medicine), board scores, letters, etc. assisted me in interviewing at many of the top places and matching at Bascom Palmer. I had NO connections at any of these places, and I did not do away rotations (Note: I do think away rotations are a good idea). I think if you want it badly enough, it can happen even if you aren't an Ivy Leaguer.

Originally posted by TheRetinator
I do agree that Alma Mater and connections matter to some extent, but I am living proof that other things are more important. I attended medical school at a Midwest institution that is very solid clinically, but does not carry the reputation of some of the afforementioned programs. However, my grades, work experience (former career in a discipline other than medicine), board scores, letters, etc. assisted me in interviewing at many of the top places and matching at Bascom Palmer. I had NO connections at any of these places, and I did not do away rotations (Note: I do think away rotations are a good idea). I think if you want it badly enough, it can happen even if you aren't an Ivy Leaguer.

hey, how many retina fellows does bascolm palmer take per year?? if they take more than (1), I'll see you in about 5 years...congratulations on matching at a great program!!