How much would my class ranking matter for a residency match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldenStarDO/MD?

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school advisor suggested aiming for at least the 40th percentile in class rank if applying for anesthesiology or surgery. The dean's letter will indicate the top 20% and top 40%. Points are assigned as follows:
Honor (+4),
Pass (+3),
Retest (+2, not shown on transcript), and Remediation (+1, shown on transcript).

Internal ranking is based on these points. The dean's letter addresses only preclinical class rank.

If I don't have good recognition with the class rank, would it be a red flag for applying for competitive residencies?

How much would my class ranking matter for a residency match?​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should try to have the best rank possible, but no it doesn't matter all that much unless your at the tip top or the bottom quartile.

Reactions: 2 users
Try your best, but I don’t think class rank really moved much at my school after first semester. So I wouldn’t stress too much about trying to dramatically change wherever you’re already at because it’s not likely to change too much.

Edit: it’s also just not super important. Class rank falls considerably far behind boards and research in terms of importance.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s going to be program specific because everyone has their opinion and biases. The program I’m interested in just said “be in the top 50% percentile”

Reactions: 1 users
Try your best, but I don’t think class rank really moved much at my school after first semester. So I wouldn’t stress too much about trying to dramatically change wherever you’re already at because it’s not likely to change too much.

Edit: it’s also just not super important. Class rank falls considerably far behind boards and research in terms of importance.
Based on our school rank system, my class rank would not be good already and it is hard to move up from the first semester 😅. But, yeh I will try my best.
I was focusing on leadership, research (publications), and poster presentations for a bit. But, I will try to balance out everything. Thank you so much!!

I’m in the bottom quintile (yeah we do quintiles) and have had a pretty good anesthesia cycle. Ask me in a month if I matched 😬

Reactions: 6 users
My school advisor suggested aiming for at least the 40th percentile in class rank if applying for anesthesiology or surgery. The dean's letter will indicate the top 20% and top 40%. Points are assigned as follows:
Honor (+4),
Pass (+3),
Retest (+2, not shown on transcript), and Remediation (+1, shown on transcript).

Internal ranking is based on these points. The dean's letter addresses only preclinical class rank.

If I don't have good recognition with the class rank, would it be a red flag for applying for competitive residencies?

How much would my class ranking matter for a residency match?​

If they only report those, it probably won't matter much for most specialties, in my experience interviewing applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m in the bottom quintile (yeah we do quintiles) and have had a pretty good anesthesia cycle. Ask me in a month if I matched 😬
Did you apply/get an interview at the major academic program up the street from you?

Last edited:
Gold signal, but no interview. They are notoriously anti DO
Class rank can possibly boost you over the top. It also might get you screened. If you auditioned well, that would be more important. Any resident will be there for 4 or 5 years, so they want to hire people who they can teach, work hard, and get along. They dont want to hire someone with great stats who might be a problem with work ethic or poor interpersonal skills.The OR is a small community and being on time, prepared, having the ability to get along, and communicating goes a long way. I hope you applied to some community affiliates. The couple in our area are quite good.Good luck and best wishes!

Class rank can possibly boost you over the top. It also might get you screened. If you auditioned well, that would be more important. Any resident will be there for 4 or 5 years, so they want to hire people who they can teach, work hard, and get along. They dont want to hire someone with great stats who might be a problem with work ethic or poor interpersonal skills.The OR is a small community and being on time, prepared, having the ability to get along, and communicating goes a long way. I hope you applied to some community affiliates. The couple in our area are quite good.Good luck and best wishes!
Yeah I got a lot more love in the Midwest. I worked really hard to secure a lot of auditions and that made a big difference

Reactions: 1 users