how much will research help for Cards fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lanziii

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I

Members don't see this ad.

lanziii said:
I know research/publication carries a lot of weight for HemOnc, is it the same for Cardiology? If I couldn't get a posiotion by the end of PGY2, will it help if I work in a cardiology lab as a postdoc for a couple of years after residency and then reapply?

Cardiology is competitive, and research will only help. However, I don't suggest taking time off. Research while training. It also depends on whether you are doing residency in a program that has a cards fellowship, and whether they're known for taking their own.

DR said:
Cardiology is competitive, and research will only help. However, I don't suggest taking time off. Research while training. It also depends on whether you are doing residency in a program that has a cards fellowship, and whether they're known for taking their own.

Where could I find info regarding which programs are notorious for placing their residents into fellowship spots? I do understand that I would be able to find out such info when I'm interviewing for residency. However, I would like to take electives during fourth year at institutions that are known for 'inbreeding'.

Sorry for hijacking the thread :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
daisygirl said:
Where could I find info regarding which programs are notorious for placing their residents into fellowship spots? I do understand that I would be able to find out such info when I'm interviewing for residency. However, I would like to take electives during fourth year at institutions that are known for 'inbreeding'.

An excellent question, dg. It's not so easy to find a list, like you can for residency matches, for fellowship matches. I think most people get this info from word of mouth. I learned most of it from my interview days. I suppose what you can do is try to look at which programs you are interested in applying to for residency, then out of those, decide which have the strongest cards fellowships. Then from there, you can try to talk to as many people as you can from those places to find out how many of their fellows are from within. You might not be able to do this before electives role around, but I don't know how necessary that is; the most important time for knowing this sort of info is around interview time. (especially since most people change their mind about specialty choice once in residency, after they see what working in the field is really like).

Thanks so much for your response DR. :)

Since your location states that you are in NYC...would you happen to know if NYU and Montefiore (Einstein) are known for inbreeding?

Thanks again. I'm currently agonizing over pursuing surgery with the intentions of going onto a fellowship in vascular versus pursuing medicine to go onto cards. I never envisioned myself pursuing medicine until a couple of weeks ago. I recently finished up a two week outpatient experience with a cardiologist (I also spent some time in a cath lab). I loved my cardiology experience. However, I am now in agony since I cannot make up my mind :(

ohio state inbreeds like two long lost west virginia first cousins. hope that helps.

daisygirl said:

Check the programs website for the list of fellows. The institutions these people are from are usually posted and you can see how many are from the same place.

gwen said:
ohio state inbreeds like two long lost west virginia first cousins. hope that helps.

hahaaahhaha,, makes total sense :laugh:

To answer the question, it really depends on your program and how "academic" the program director is. I'm considering going into cardiology. The residents at my program suprisingly told me the PD doesn't really care that much about research. Oh, he said, it wouldn't hurt your application and it would help a little but the predominant factor was how well you performed as a resident and your LOR's. These residents also said your medical school transcript was pretty much useless too. At our program, it really comes down to your personality and performance as a resident. Not all programs are this way. Some really do weigh Step I scores, Pre-clinical grades, Research and all that. Every program is different.

In regards to which programs select people from within, this information can only be gathered from word of mouth. This is why people try to go to the best IM program(university based, academic) possible because if you don't acquire a fellowship in your own program, you still have a legitimate shot going elsewhere if your IM program had a solid reputation. But if you attended a community based IM program and they don't accept you into their fellowship ranks, you pretty much have no chance elsewhere. It's a big risk and this is why people avoid community based IM programs if possible. This is a reason why you see community based programs consist mostly of FMG's

novacek88 said:
Unfortunately, this information can only be gathered from word of mouth in regards to how many people a fellowship takes from within their corresponding IM program. This is why people try to go to the best IM program(university based, academic) possible because if you don't acquire a fellowship in your own program, you still have a legitimate shot elsewhere if your IM program had a solid reputation. But if you go attend a community based IM program and they don't accept you into their fellowship ranks, you pretty much have no chance elsewhere. It's a big risk and this is why people avoid community based IM programs if possible.

Almost all programs with fellowships take 50% of their people from in house. Just a fact of life. Most programs that don't, can't fill with in house people (Baylor for example, and I am not referring specifically to cards here, that one fills in house).

Just for the cards hopeful, something I found on the interview trail, Cleveland Clinic places ~15 residents a year in Cards, just not at the Clinic. So if you go there, and wants cards, chances are they can get you in somewhere. I don't know if this reflects a bias of residents go to the Clinic because they want Cards or what. This is total rumor which I heard from a competing hospital, but, most Cards Fellows at the Clinic are J-1 IMGs. The logic is supposed to be that they don't want to train competition. And when these people go home, they create more international buzz for the Clinic. OK, what I know is true is that the Clinic, with 16 cards spots a year, takes only 1-2 people in house. I took that to be a sign of weakness of the residency program, but have been told about the "J-1 IMG only" thing subsequently. Along the lines of Cleveland Clinic logic, I notcied that Texas Heart Institute is mostly IMGs too (not from Baylor or UT-Houston). Have no clue why that is.

In breeding is bad to a point, but in a way, it is to be expected. Let's face it. If you want cards, chances are that you don't care about academics. That means you don't care about your pedigree, and as long as you get the fellowship somewhere you are good to go.

retroviridae said:
Almost all programs with fellowships take 50% of their people from in house. Just a fact of life. Most programs that don't, can't fill with in house people (Baylor for example, and I am not referring specifically to cards here, that one fills in house).

Just for the cards hopeful, something I found on the interview trail, Cleveland Clinic places ~15 residents a year in Cards, just not at the Clinic. So if you go there, and wants cards, chances are they can get you in somewhere. I don't know if this reflects a bias of residents go to the Clinic because they want Cards or what. This is total rumor which I heard from a competing hospital, but, most Cards Fellows at the Clinic are J-1 IMGs. The logic is supposed to be that they don't want to train competition. And when these people go home, they create more international buzz for the Clinic. OK, what I know is true is that the Clinic, with 16 cards spots a year, takes only 1-2 people in house. I took that to be a sign of weakness of the residency program, but have been told about the "J-1 IMG only" thing subsequently. Along the lines of Cleveland Clinic logic, I notcied that Texas Heart Institute is mostly IMGs too (not from Baylor or UT-Houston). Have no clue why that is.

In breeding is bad to a point, but in a way, it is to be expected. Let's face it. If you want cards, chances are that you don't care about academics. That means you don't care about your pedigree, and as long as you get the fellowship somewhere you are good to go.

I agree that cards is easier to get from a prestigious place like CC. I don't know if it is true that CC takes mainly IMGs and not many inbred residents, but if it is true, I wouldn't be surprised cuz there are good reasons for this. One is that CC is the most prominent research institute in cardiology, and most IMGs have heavy research backgrounds to support their application (the successful ones); how else can they be competitive with US grads? Usually this entails taking time off and doing a research fellowship for a year or two. Second, US grads would have preference of location, which, as u indiacted above, is important as most people don't give a hoot about academics despite what they say on the interview trail. Cleveland is cold. Florida is nice and warm. Where do you see most US Grads, community program or NOT: in temperate areas such as CAli and FL, nice cities such as DC, Boston, or Chicago, etc. In other words, lifesyle considerations. Thus, I think that most CC internal applicants (US Grads) would prefer NOT to stay in cold, blistery Cleveland.

freeMDnow said:
I agree that cards is easier to get from a prestigious place like CC. I don't know if it is true that CC takes mainly IMGs and not many inbred residents, but if it is true, I wouldn't be surprised cuz there are good reasons for this. One is that CC is the most prominent research institute in cardiology, and most IMGs have heavy research backgrounds to support their application (the successful ones); how else can they be competitive with US grads? Usually this entails taking time off and doing a research fellowship for a year or two. Second, US grads would have preference of location, which, as u indiacted above, is important as most people don't give a hoot about academics despite what they say on the interview trail. Cleveland is cold. Florida is nice and warm. Where do you see most US Grads, community program or NOT: in temperate areas such as CAli and FL, nice cities such as DC, Boston, or Chicago, etc. In other words, lifesyle considerations. Thus, I think that most CC internal applicants (US Grads) would prefer NOT to stay in cold, blistery Cleveland.

Cold weather or not, who do you think is going to be more attractive on the market, the Cleveland Clinic Fellow or Joe Community Hospital in a warm state? It's a no brainer. Fellows from better programs are more aggressively recruited. This is why people still prefer to do their fellowships at MGH, Mayo or Hopkins despite their harsh climates.

hey, so was just curious about the UPitt cards fellowship. is it malignant as someone was pointing out earlier? anyone know any cards fellows there?