How much fieldwork in infectious disease epidemiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is highly dependent on MPH vs. PhD, academia vs. industry, etc. Say someone has a PhD, would industry or academia be more suitable to someone who wants to travel and do fieldwork? I'm specifically interested in eco-epidemiology and the intersection between infectious disease biology and epidemiological dynamics, as well as biostatistics/data science.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing this is highly dependent on MPH vs. PhD, academia vs. industry, etc. Say someone has a PhD, would industry or academia be more suitable to someone who wants to travel and do fieldwork? I'm specifically interested in eco-epidemiology and the intersection between infectious disease biology and epidemiological dynamics, as well as biostatistics/data science.
If you look at the description for a PhD program just about anywhere, they will usually say that a PhD is for someone interested in pursuing academia. At the same time, getting a PhD does not necessarily restrict you to academia. There are other doctorates that are sometimes more appropriate for practitioners that you can look into. A job where you can practice "eco-epidemiology and the intersection between infectious disease biology and epidemiological dynamics, as well as biostatistics/data science" seems all-encompassing. Biostatistics or data science is a degree in itself. If you have a strong interest in data science as it relates to biology, you can look into computational bio programs.

Masters for work, Ph.D for academia. There is one caveat though, a Ph.D. may be required for work in research heavy medical developmental industries (pharma, medical equipment, imaging, genetics, etc.)