how much does rank matter? trying to decide on school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am trying to decide between Loyola in Chicago and USC in LA. I liked Loyola better (teaching style, location, facilities, people) but i know USC is ranked higher, does more research, and probably has better programing for the clinical years.

is anyone familiar with either of these programs? also, do people know how much medical school rank / name plays into good residency programs?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With both of those being good schools, I would for sure go to the one you liked better and felt more comfortable at. In my opinion, this will translate over to a positive mood and overall well-being, which will help you stay motivated and productive. It seems that most physicians I talk to say that, unless a school has necessarily a BAD reputation, med school (and residency placement) will be what you make of it. If you work hard, are involved and proactive, and study and do well on Step 1 especially, your chances shouldn't be limited. Just how I've been advised.

I'm in a similar boat, and just turned down my "better rep" school yesterday after agonizing over it for two weeks, so perhaps I am a bit biased. :)

i am trying to decide between Loyola in Chicago and USC in LA. I liked Loyola better (teaching style, location, facilities, people) but i know USC is ranked higher, does more research, and probably has better programing for the clinical years.

is anyone familiar with either of these programs? also, do people know how much medical school rank / name plays into good residency programs?

thanks!

Admittedly I didn't apply to/interview at Loyola, so I can't really compare them. However, I am curious what strikes you as inferior about the learning style at USC? If you aren't from LA, I wouldn't judge the school based on the location. You will need a car at either school I believe, and that completely removes that issue in LA. (I'm from LA). Trust, me, if I saw the area around USC and thought that characterized the majority of what LA had to offer, I'd be pretty turned off.

USC does break-out groups in the afternoon. You have your core group of 24 and that breaks down into a smaller group of 6. These groups do discussion led by 2 physicians to make sure you have an interactive place to field questions and case study discussions outside of lecture (somewhat like PBL). For me, I can't imagine a more ideal learning situation, so I'm really curious what struck you as better about Loyola or worse about USC. Supposedly after working with these groups so long, you come out with good professional bonds that last into your career...great for referrals and when you need to call a colleague to ask a 2nd opinion.

This truly might be one of those situations where who did your student tour made all the difference. One person's attitude can cloud your whole impression of a school. My interview at USC conflicted with the main tour, so the freshman class prez gave a unscheduled tour to me and one other applicant--everybody we ran into seemed so happy, and so was she. I do understand that while maintaining a great reputation it is one of the least high strung med schools (as much as med students can be).

The school is known for responding really quickly to concerns &/or complaints of the student body b/c it's a private school--that's part of what you get for the tuition. When one prof taught a class for the 1st time and flubbed it a bit, they remedied it before her topic was even over from what I understand--I went to other schools where they definitely waited til at least the next year to fix a similar problem, so those students had to learn topic X on their own.

If you have the $ to do it, I would go to the 2nd look visit for USC if what I wrote sounds inconsistant with what you experienced/heard/saw there. If you really can afford it, maybe go to both schools' 2nd visits.

At the end of the day, however, I would not go anywhere based on reputation alone...I would seriously consider happiness and fit. You will be a better student if you take those into account, and it's better to be at a arguably lesser ranked school and be the better student and happier student physician when you see your first patients. It will benefit you and it will benefit those who are letting you learn on them as patients.

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks!

This is all that matters. Go with where you will do best.

At this stage, with acceptances in hand, rank should "rank" very low on the factors for choosing.

However you rank total cost, location, fit, family issues, and curriculum, these should all come before rank.

And research is done at every single med school in the country. Unless you are going in MSTP or have an extremely specific research interest, this should be pretty far down the list, too.

NRMP has done research on stuff like this. They measured what percentage of people from top 40 NIH-funded med schools got into the residency they wanted. Their results show that the ranking of your school has very little to do with getting into a competitive residency...(they actually found that it was significant to get into a less competitive residency). Kind of ironic.

Good luck WHEREVER you go (cough cough...Trojan football...)

http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.