How much does nice matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kattyboomboom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a program I really like academically, love the location, just didn't get a warm feel from the attendings or PD at all. Residents were nice though. I feel pretty conflicted about whether it should be a very high rank.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

i would think it's a personal thing. does it matter to you? do you have thick skin? can you ask questions to people who intimidate you or will you be too scared of lookinng stupid? how important is it for you to feel welcome by the group and staff. will you learn more through a great academic environment even if the staff is a bunch of jerks or do you need a warm environment to help you grow and prevent misery and burnout?

Agree w/above comment.
Personally, I cannot thrive in an environment with malignant attendings and hospital staff (which to me means people who are overly aggressive and in-your-face and make unreasonable demands and then are angry whenever house staff can't meet those 100% of the time). I would beware. However, perhaps your impression wasn't right and you just met the one or two hard core type attendings, or the people were having a bad day, or maybe they just keep a more formal atmosphere (i.e. don't seem warm and fuzzy,but really aren't super hard to deal with on a daily basis). At the very least I'd try to do some behind the scenes digging to find out if your initial impression was correct. I also agree that if you have thick skin, perhaps this won't end up bothering you as much as it would some other people like me.

Disagree with above posters.

Residency, and in particular for those of us in combined (ie long) residencies, is an all-encompassing event. Don't discount your gut.

The PD is one of the most important people in your training.

You will be spending many, many hours with these residents at this facility. If you felt that you wouldn't be a good fit, then you are possibly correct.

I think that one's training is mostly what one puts into it, and that will be based on how happy one is. If you're working 80h/week and you're with folks you don't gel with, not a good long term situation.

Big fan of "Blink" by Gladwell.

Anyway, I chose my combined residency mostly out of "gut" and am VERY happy I did.