How much does Med school rank matter for getting good residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unclepeanutz

Reaction score
Based on match lists, I noticed students at higher ranked schools get more competitive/prestigious residency spots. Does this have more to do with the rank of the medical school, or is it because the students who attend those schools are of a higher caliber and tend to do have better residency applications and exam scores?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Based on match lists, I noticed students at higher ranked schools get more competitive/prestigious residency spots. Does this have more to do with the rank of the medical school, or is it because the students who attend those schools are of a higher caliber and tend to do have better residency applications and exam scores?
Yes. Both of those explanations for why "higher ranked" schools have more "impressive" rank lists.

Prestige helps to be sure, but the caliber of the applicant and what you do during med school is more important.

Yes. Both of those explanations for why "higher ranked" schools have more "impressive" rank lists.

Prestige helps to be sure, but the caliber of the applicant and what you do during med school is more important.
I wonder how it factors in though. Is the prestige of the school like a tiebreaker between two applicants with similar resumes and stats? Or is it like a worse applicant from a top 10 school will get the spot over the better applicant from the meh school

Members don't see this ad :)
Does med school rank in and of itself matter? No it does not. Not even a little bit.

Do more prestigious schools give their students a huge leg up on matching prestigious residencies? Absolutely.

Rank is a surrogate marker for prestige but there’s always jostling especially further down while nothing has materially changed at those schools. It’s not like PDs are picking Harvard grads over Hopkins or Yale simply because of their US news rank, and they definitely aren’t going to see those schools differently when the ranks inevitably flip flop sometimes. Maybe a better way to look at it would be tiers where certain schools are generally comparable.

The advice still stands to go to the best school you can get. Rank is but one way to evaluate what is “best.”

Reactions: 3 users
Does med school rank in and of itself matter? No it does not. Not even a little bit.

Do more prestigious schools give their students a huge leg up on matching prestigious residencies? Absolutely.

Rank is a surrogate marker for prestige but there’s always jostling especially further down while nothing has materially changed at those schools. It’s not like PDs are picking Harvard grads over Hopkins or Yale simply because of their US news rank, and they definitely aren’t going to see those schools differently when the ranks inevitably flip flop sometimes. Maybe a better way to look at it would be tiers where certain schools are generally comparable.

The advice still stands to go to the best school you can get. Rank is but one way to evaluate what is “best.”
Ya by rank i meant prestige. Not US news ranks

Unless one offers full-tuition and the 'better' school puts ya another 250k+ in debt.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless one offers full-tuition and the 'better' school puts ya another 250k+ in debt.
Yeah that definitely gets trickier and very individualized. For example, if you want to do a highly competitive field and the cheaper one has no home program, you’d probably want to go with the debt if it means you get the career option you want. If you want something less competitive and less lucrative you’d be better off debt free.

But those are incredibly challenging decisions and tough to make broad statements.

This question comes up over and over again, year after year. The answer is yes. It matters. Look at the match lists for all the top schools. That doesn't mean that you can't get a great residency from a lower ranked school. But the deck is stacked against you. In small, competitive specialties, people care about who you know because if they get a call about you from someone they know and trust, they're likely going to act on that. They also know the quality of students coming from different places due to their prior experience. So if you do an analysis of which schools "feed" into which specific residency programs, you will find a lot of correlation there.

So yes, it matters.

• Love
I wonder how it factors in though. Is the prestige of the school like a tiebreaker between two applicants with similar resumes and stats? Or is it like a worse applicant from a top 10 school will get the spot over the better applicant from the meh school
Yeah it just isn't something you can quantify. When you're coming from a name-brand school, and oooh look you got a letter from this luminary in the field, and they know how to plug you into their machine to make sure you get the pubs you need to succeed... it's just much easier to succeed than having to make everything from the ground up at a less prestigious school. You're not going to be given the same benefit of the doubt.

Obviously, you can still match well. It comes down to your personal drive and priorities.

If you have an option to attend a t5, by all means. If you have an option to attend a t20 but not t5, factor in the cost.

• Dislike

It's both. Being a higher achiever is associated with getting a better residency. That said, it's obvious that residency programs take applications from higher ranked schools more seriously especially in the case of average stats (see example below). Go to the higher ranked school unless the money or location is prohibitive.

I get that US News just updated their rankings but you should ask more specific questions pertaining to your own case or use the search function because the questions you're asking have been beaten to death and are discussed daily here (only exaggerating slightly).

All are within the past 2-4 years

1.) Medical school “prestige” with residency
2.) Does med school prestige matter for IM Residency?
3.) How many doors will school prestige open now that STEP is p/f
4.) Medical - Considering "prestige" vs cost in choosing a medical school.. What does "prestige" actually mean, and does it really matter?
5.) My personal rant: Insight into Pre-Medical Decisions from a Resident (factors in choosing a school, life outlook, etc)

There are hundreds more.

---

Example:

You desire to match IM at a top university program. You score 245 on Step 2 and have a mix of H/HP/P. If you come from a DO school your options are low-mid tier university programs. If you are from a low tier MD, your options are likely midtier programs. If you come from a top 30-40 so US MD school, you'll get a look at some of the higher ranked programs.

Last edited:
Yeah it just isn't something you can quantify. When you're coming from a name-brand school, and oooh look you got a letter from this luminary in the field, and they know how to plug you into their machine to make sure you get the pubs you need to succeed... it's just much easier to succeed than having to make everything from the ground up at a less prestigious school. You're not going to be given the same benefit of the doubt.
The analogy here is like rock climbing. You start from different places and are trying to get to the same ending place. Not only does someone from a top tier school start higher up, their path up is also easier. There are established footholds for them to take and a well trodden path. And there might even be someone who's already up their guiding them and helping them ascend. The guy or gal on the other side of the rock starts from a lower spot and is looking at a bald rock face with no hand or footholds. Is it doable? Sure. But is it very very very hard? Yes.

Reactions: 5 users
The guy or gal on the other side of the rock starts from a lower spot and is looking at a bald rock face with no hand or footholds. Is it doable? Sure. But is it very very very hard? Yes.
will make their crimp stronger though

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

How can applicants from lower tier school show their caliber? PS? LOR? Preceptor evaluations?

How can applicants from lower tier school show their caliber? PS? LOR? Preceptor evaluations?
Step 2, research, LOR, etc. In some specialities letters are critical, do not overlook that and if possible, secure them from well-known people in the field.

yes it matters, just like undergraduate ranking matters for med school admissions. Go to any T20 med school and a supermajority of the class will be from Ivys, MIT, Stanford etc. Go to MGH, UCSF, BWH IM residency and a supermajority will come from 5 or 10 medical schools.

The question that you have to ask yourself, is why you want one of these residencies. If you’re not interested in academics or management roles, what is the point?

yes it matters, just like undergraduate ranking matters for med school admissions. Go to any T20 med school and a supermajority of the class will be from Ivys, MIT, Stanford etc. Go to MGH, UCSF, BWH IM residency and a supermajority will come from 5 or 10 medical schools.

The question that you have to ask yourself, is why you want one of these residencies. If you’re not interested in academics or management roles, what is the point?
Better training. See a broader range of pathology. Opens up career opportunities. Etc.

Better training. See a broader range of pathology. Opens up career opportunities. Etc.
This may be, but is not necessarily, true. When you go to one of these ivory towers, there is always some mild tension of there being too many trainees all fighting for the same experience (ie fellows need their procedures so the residents don't always get first shot). Doesn't mean those residencies are bad (obviously), but there absolutely is some merit to going to a different residency where residents get more hands-on training.

RE opens up career opportunities, I think it's similar to the question of which med school you attend--no career path is CLOSED based on where you do your residency, but if you start at MGH/Hopkins/etc you definitely have a leg up.

I get the difference between academic and community IM but I’m less convinced that an IM resident at say Uchicago or Northwestern gets a dramatically different experience compared to a resident at UIC or Loyola. Probably different in terms of academic opportunities and certain fellowships but not the actual experience.

I may be wrong as I’m not completely sure which hospitals get which cases

Disclaimer, this is my n=1 of a residency program: At my program, I would say you are less likely to receive an interview if you are from an Ivy League medical school. My program is not located in the northeast and while it is a major University Hospital within our region, it is not affiliated with an Ivy League medical school. We receive applications from students from all over the country, but our experience has been that students from the northeast tend to not have serious interest in our program, so we do not bother sending invitations unless their application demonstrates some kind of tie to our region. Our experience is also that the students are no better or worse, when all other factors are held equal. So I would say that medical school rankings have exactly zero bearing on our decision making, but that if you tried to find a trend it would be that we offer less interviews to students at higher ranking institutions, simply due to a historic lack of actual interest, even if they are interested in being offered an interview.

This will hopefully change in the future when my specialty goes to a token system where students have a finite number of programs that they can indicate they are highly interested in. If a student from a top medical school used a limited resource like this, we would very likely offer them an interview if they were a qualified applicant otherwise.

Reactions: 3 users
I get the difference between academic and community IM but I’m less convinced that an IM resident at say Uchicago or Northwestern gets a dramatically different experience compared to a resident at UIC or Loyola. Probably different in terms of academic opportunities and certain fellowships but not the actual experience.

I think they do. Maybe not the bread and butter stuff. But if you are doing cardiology at a place where there is no cardiac transplantation, surely that is a hit to your training. (for example)

Disclaimer, this is my n=1 of a residency program: At my program, I would say you are less likely to receive an interview if you are from an Ivy League medical school. My program is not located in the northeast and while it is a major University Hospital within our region, it is not affiliated with an Ivy League medical school. We receive applications from students from all over the country, but our experience has been that students from the northeast tend to not have serious interest in our program, so we do not bother sending invitations unless their application demonstrates some kind of tie to our region. Our experience is also that the students are no better or worse, when all other factors are held equal. So I would say that medical school rankings have exactly zero bearing on our decision making, but that if you tried to find a trend it would be that we offer less interviews to students at higher ranking institutions, simply due to a historic lack of actual interest, even if they are interested in being offered an interview.

This will hopefully change in the future when my specialty goes to a token system where students have a finite number of programs that they can indicate they are highly interested in. If a student from a top medical school used a limited resource like this, we would very likely offer them an interview if they were a qualified applicant otherwise.

I feel this (bolded) is specific to your field. IM on the other hand is very biased towards prestige of medical school.

It matters immensely and I almost always recommend someone go to the most prestigious med school they can. Going to Columbia will never hurt your chances at matching into the specialty or program of your choice. it is a lot easier to match into derm from Harvard and Penn than it is from podunk U especially if podunk u does not have a home program

Last edited:

At the top programs, you have top trained faculty(likely a great % also trained at the program), better clinical experience, greater depth of cases, more funding and the list goes on. This does not mean that you will get poor training at the community programs, but I'm giving you objective facts as to why those top ranked programs are just that....top ranked for good reason.

At the top programs, you have top trained faculty(likely a great % also trained at the program), better clinical experience, greater depth of cases, more funding and the list goes on. This does not mean that you will get poor training at the community programs, but I'm giving you objective facts as to why those top ranked programs are just that....top ranked for good reason.
Eh, the idea that top programs give better clinical training gets propagated alot but is dubious at best. Anecdotally my program has had some bad experiences with faculty coming from the ivory towers. Those programs produce good and bad surgeons at the same rate as anyone else. They simply publish more papers than most.

Reality is “top” academic and low tier/community programs are just different, and for the most part only better or worse from each other depending on the specific career goals of the individuals attending them. The top programs are viewed HEAVILY through the classic academic/research lens, when the reality is the majority of healthcare in this country is not practiced that way.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Eh, the idea that top programs give better clinical training gets propagated alot but is dubious at best. Anecdotally my program has had some bad experiences with faculty coming from the ivory towers. Those programs produce good and bad surgeons at the same rate as anyone else. They simply publish more papers than most.

Reality is “top” academic and low tier/community programs are just different, and for the most part only better or worse from each other depending on the specific career goals of the individuals attending them. The top programs are viewed HEAVILY through the classic academic/research lens, when the reality is the majority of healthcare in this country is not practiced that way.
The bolded is such an important point that is not shared enough in the echo chamber of SDN.

Match to a place that will train you to become the type of practitioner you want to be. Landing an uber-competitive spot is nice and congratulatory, but doesn't make much difference if that isn't the type of setting you ultimately want to be in. The same goes for the other 90% of board certified doctors in your field that didn't train at those places either.

People don't really read into PS too much (talking about the competitive fields with way more applicants than spots, not IM). LORs matter, especially when the LOR is written by somebody the reader knows. You obviously can't control that but you can control who you ask to write for letters (best to have great letters from people well known and respected). Sub-I performance matters a lot and will also provide input into your LORs.

Step 2 CK score, clinical grades will play a role. And doing an away at a place will be one of the key factors.

Please elaborate to your statement that " better" clinical training at the top programs is "dubious at best."

Also, no one is directly speaking about the "ivory towers", since they do not have a monopoly on the top programs and whether you come from the Ivy League or any other top program, does not guarnatee you being great at all. I'm just saying when you look at the top programs holistically, they just offer better training, that's all. Again, no one said that you can't get great training in the small community program, not sure if that is where you speak from.

I don't think anyone could objectively argue that you will not receive some of the best training available at those top programs because of what I mentioned in my original post. For example, could you compare the surgical training at Mass General when considering the diversity of cases, autonomy, etc. with a small community program...of course not.

Unfortunately, there sometimes seem to be a bias when top ranked, prestigious programs are brought up. People get defensive for some reason as if the posts say that ONLY the top programs offer the best training, etc. That is simply not true when posters merely point out that, generally speaking, the prestigious programs are that way for a good reason and offer some of the best training. Everyone is so eager to say, as you did, "my program has had some bad experiences with faculty from the ivory towers", that can be probably be said for any faculty, regardless of where they hail from.

Last edited:
Everyone is talking about training and opportunities as if they are the reasons people seek out top program. For the vast majority it's just ego and culture.

There is almost no risk that someone who misses out on a big 4 IM residency and "falls" to a T20 (or even a T50) won't match cards/GI if that's really what they want. Most will practice in the community. Outside of a few lines on your resume, the vast majority of top residency/fellowship candidates will have the exact same life regardless of whether they train at U Chicago or UIC. Most candidates know this when they apply, too.

The reason these spots are so competitive is that they garner respect and notoriety from family, friends, and peers. Getting more controversial here, this is extremely, extremely prominent in Desi circles, and I'd imagine the same is true in Asian and Jewish circles. A lot of med students exist in communities where everyone is exceptional. When you've got cousins at MIT/Stanford, brothers or sisters attending HMS, and parents/aunts/uncles who are department chiefs and prominent names in their fields, then part of fitting into that community is keeping up with the Joneses (or maybe in this case the Patels or the Kims or the Weinsteins). Even outside these communities, ego dictates that almost everyone chooses T10 over T50, even if there are tangible advantages to the T50.

• Hmm

I think school choice matters more than people are letting on here. Far more for med school than for residency, school choice is absurdly important in terms of tangible advantages. For some of my friends, it's been the difference between NSG or GS, Derm or IM, going back to California or staying in the Midwest. Step scores at a T5 school are ~5 points higher than those from an NIH T40 school, but compare the match lists of Penn vs. Jeff, Wash U vs. SLU, Hopkins vs. UMD, HMS vs. BU, Columbia vs. Einstein, Duke vs. Wake Forest, etc... You can say it's from mentorship, research, or letters, but ultimately school choice matters a ton. The worst students from Penn are matching similarly to the top 10% at a school like Jeff.

Everyone is talking about training and opportunities as if they are the reasons people seek out top program. For the vast majority it's just ego and culture.

There is almost no risk that someone who misses out on a big 4 IM residency and "falls" to a T20 (or even a T50) won't match cards/GI if that's really what they want. Most will practice in the community. Outside of a few lines on your resume, the vast majority of top residency/fellowship candidates will have the exact same life regardless of whether they train at U Chicago or UIC. Most candidates know this when they apply, too.

The reason these spots are so competitive is that they garner respect and notoriety from family, friends, and peers. Getting more controversial here, this is extremely, extremely prominent in Desi circles, and I'd imagine the same is true in Asian and Jewish circles. A lot of med students exist in communities where everyone is exceptional. When you've got cousins at MIT/Stanford, brothers or sisters attending HMS, and parents/aunts/uncles who are department chiefs and prominent names in their fields, then part of fitting into that community is keeping up with the Joneses (or maybe in this case the Patels or the Kims or the Weinsteins). Even outside these communities, ego dictates that almost everyone chooses T10 over T50, even if there are tangible advantages to the T50.
Some of what you say may be true, but there still is no arguing against the quality of training at your top programs. I think your explanation regarding ego, while true in some cases, is overstated. I'm sure "ego", "keeping up with the Joneses" are definitely reasons applicants seek out those prestigious residencies, I just don't think that it's the majority of people who want to be in a top program....not even close.

What you are saying is that the people who go into the vast majority of competitive specialities and want to seek out the best training at the best residencies are essentially very shallow, and I doubt that to be the case. I'd like to give more credit to those applicants, rather than think it is about their ego of getting to say that they train at Penn, Harvard, NYU, University of Washington, etc.

Some of what you say may be true, but there still is no arguing against the quality of training at your top programs.
There is arguing though. It's been demonstrated here and almost everywhere else. People say repeatedly that the training at top institutions is compromised by the Ivory Tower mindset, competition with a large training population, fellows stealing good cases, less bread and butter, etc...

I mean the difference between top tier Heme/Onc fellowships and community ones can be as much as 12 vs. 36 months of clinical training, the other 24 months being mostly research, which can even be in the lab with little patient contact. I'm not saying top programs are universally worse, obviously not, but there is plenty of room to argue for a lot of specialties and practice environments.

I also think it's naïve to believe that most med students are driven primarily by something other than ego, pay, and lifestyle.

1) Pay per hour and competitiveness scale perfectly in line with one another.

2) Notoriously good clinical programs never stack up to brand name residencies in competitiveness, even if the brand name is renowned for being swamped with fellows. Ortho is a great example of this.

3) Look at the job market, where prestige is far less of a factor. Ten years post-fellowship the standard of care will be completely different for most specialties. You'll keep up with this better and have better continued education/training in some environments compared to others. This rarely affects people's job choices compared to compensation, especially if you've already earned your prestige/gold-plated resume.

I have a hard time believing that all these applicants are driven mostly by some motive to do good. Top med students are not shutting down their entire lives for 4-5 years out of some benevolent desire to be the best physician for their patients. If you want to do that, you match FM and go to an underserved area. People gun for top tier residencies primarily because it makes them feel good about themselves. That's okay, too.

Please elaborate to your statement that " better" clinical training at the top programs is "dubious at best."

Also, no one is directly speaking about the "ivory towers", since they do not have a monopoly on the top programs and whether you come from the Ivy League or any other top program, does not guarnatee you being great at all. I'm just saying when you look at the top programs holistically, they just offer better training, that's all. Again, no one said that you can't get great training in the small community program, not sure if that is where you speak from.

I don't think anyone could objectively argue that you will not receive some of the best training available at those top programs because of what I mentioned in my original post. For example, could you compare the surgical training at Mass General when considering the diversity of cases, autonomy, etc. with a small community program...of course not.

Unfortunately, there sometimes seem to be a bias when top ranked, prestigious programs are brought up. People get defensive for some reason as if the posts say that ONLY the top programs offer the best training, etc. That is simply not true when posters merely point out that, generally speaking, the prestigious programs are that way for a good reason and offer some of the best training. Everyone is so eager to say, as you did, "my program has had some bad experiences with faculty from the ivory towers", that can be probably be said for any faculty, regardless of where they hail from.
Elaborate? To put it simply, it’s not true the training is better most of the time. Sure if you want to compare a tiny community program to MGH, but that isn’t what most people are comparing (that’s not my situation either). There is a stereotype in surgery that the the top program graduates can’t operate, because they spend all their time standing behind fellows and doing research than actually being in the OR. Even their fellows sometimes don’t actually get to operate that much. Now are there obviously exceptions to this? Yes. Is it a bit of an exaggeration? Sure. But the stereotype exists for a reason.

So no. If you want to actually be able to graduate residency and be able to operate independently from day 1 attendinghood, then I dont think the top programs are better. The top programs will position you for top academic jobs, other than that the benefit is very dubious compared to attending different academic programs.

It’s far more nuanced than “the top programs give the best training. Period.”

Last edited:
There is a stereotype in surgery that the the top program graduates can’t operate, because they spend all their time standing behind fellows and doing research than actually being in the OR. Even their fellows sometimes don’t actually get to operate that much. Now are there obviously exceptions to this? Yes. Is it a bit of an exaggeration? Sure. But the stereotype exists for a reason.
I keep seeing this and i have no idea if this is just an SDN myth. There are many top academic programs that train world class surgeons who pioneer revolutionary procedures and these programs also train surgeons who are just as good (or better) with operating as surgeons from community programs. There is significant variation in surgical education quality within top programs that the stereotype itself is just as inaccurate as the opposite notion that top programs alone offer best training

Yes it is nuanced and I think SDN oversimplifies complexities pretty dramatically. The best advice to get is from surgery advisers and mentors in your med school and go from there

I think school choice matters more than people are letting on here. Far more for med school than for residency, school choice is absurdly important in terms of tangible advantages. For some of my friends, it's been the difference between NSG or GS, Derm or IM, going back to California or staying in the Midwest. Step scores at a T5 school are ~5 points higher than those from an NIH T40 school, but compare the match lists of Penn vs. Jeff, Wash U vs. SLU, Hopkins vs. UMD, HMS vs. BU, Columbia vs. Einstein, Duke vs. Wake Forest, etc... You can say it's from mentorship, research, or letters, but ultimately school choice matters a ton. The worst students from Penn are matching similarly to the top 10% at a school like Jeff.
If you look back in my history, I agree that school choice matters, and that will likely be emphasized with step 1 going pass/fail. But I flatly reject the bolded. Step score is just one data point. People match into competitive specialties and programs from lower ranked programs all the time. If you attend a lower ranked school, it's on you to make sure you meet the criteria to get into one of those coveted spots if you are aiming for it.

I do think it ultimately comes down to mentorship, and that is the reason to strongly consider a more prestigious school if you are truly committed to a highly competitive specialty. Those "ivory towers" that match 10 people to derm each year have a machine in place where they connect all of their students with highly productive PIs to help them meet the criteria. If you go to a less prestigious school, getting that resume is still possible... but instead of having 5 mentors to choose from, there may only be one or two, and if some other student reaches out and establishes a connection before you then you're SOL. You're just not going to be productive if you don't have a mentor who can help you.

So ultimately I think we are in agreement--school choice matters, a lot. But it isn't the only factor and someone who is really driven can overcome being at a less prestigious school to get a competitive specialty or program.

I keep seeing this and i have no idea if this is just an SDN myth. There are many top academic programs that train world class surgeons who pioneer revolutionary procedures and these programs also train surgeons who are just as good (or better) with operating as surgeons from community programs. There is significant variation in surgical education quality within top programs that the stereotype itself is just as inaccurate as the opposite notion that top programs alone offer best training

Yes it is nuanced and I think SDN oversimplifies complexities pretty dramatically. The best advice to get is from surgery advisers and mentors in your med school and go from there
It’s far from simply an SDN myth… Of course it’s nuanced, but the stereotype exists for a reason.

My entire point is that it is amusing to see medical students claim that top programs offer better training than everyone else, based on absolutely nothing but feels. Because it just feels right to claim that MGH offers better training than XU. Again, it’s nuanced. “Better training” is a highly subjective concept.

I do not think it is true that a supermajority at these programs come from 10 schools. Probably a third come from top 10 schools.

Here is MGH IM Who We Are

I do not think it is true that a supermajority at these programs come from 10 schools. Probably a third come from top 10 schools.

There are 3 from my school on their roster and we are not T20.

If you look back in my history, I agree that school choice matters, and that will likely be emphasized with step 1 going pass/fail. But I flatly reject the bolded. Step score is just one data point. People match into competitive specialties and programs from lower ranked programs all the time. If you attend a lower ranked school, it's on you to make sure you meet the criteria to get into one of those coveted spots if you are aiming for it.

I do think it ultimately comes down to mentorship, and that is the reason to strongly consider a more prestigious school if you are truly committed to a highly competitive specialty. Those "ivory towers" that match 10 people to derm each year have a machine in place where they connect all of their students with highly productive PIs to help them meet the criteria. If you go to a less prestigious school, getting that resume is still possible... but instead of having 5 mentors to choose from, there may only be one or two, and if some other student reaches out and establishes a connection before you then you're SOL. You're just not going to be productive if you don't have a mentor who can help you.

So ultimately I think we are in agreement--school choice matters, a lot. But it isn't the only factor and someone who is really driven can overcome being at a less prestigious school to get a competitive specialty or program.
Okay, yes we are in agreement. School choice matters a lot, and ultimately it is up to the student to match.

That said, school choice can absolutely be the difference between matching or not matching a competitive specialty. Saying otherwise is ignoring reality. There are tons of students who, just by changing the school name on their resume, would suddenly match. I had a friend who attends a mid-low tier school fail to match NSG this year. He had a 240 step 1, all H and HP, including H in surgery and his sub-I. He had several pubs, too. Yes, he could have worked harder and gotten a higher step 1, all H, and more pubs, but the point is that virtually anyone with those stats from HMS is heading off to a NSG residency. So swap one variable, the school, and the outcome changes. In this case, the school did make the difference between one specialty and another.

You can also pretty easily reject the notion that all these T10 students are lining up behind productive PIs and publishing a ton. It's one thing that easily verifiable. Lots of these students have few or no manuscripts while applying. They still match very well.

Otherwise, we are in complete agreement.

Reactions: 2 users

The culture of SDN tends towards people who value prestige, and this leads to two camps on SDN.

1) People who have attained prestige (in their own minds, subjectively) and perpetuate the idea that more prestigious = better.

2) People who have not attained prestige and react to the culture here.

I don't think any of it reflects reality all that much. Maybe MGH really trains the best surgeons. Maybe it produces dangerous researchers who occasionally play around with knives. The good news is that wherever you end up, you'll have a reason to be happy about it.

The culture of SDN tends towards people who value prestige, and this leads to two camps on SDN.

1) People who have attained prestige (in their own minds, subjectively) and perpetuate the idea that more prestigious = better.

2) People who have not attained prestige and react to the culture here.

I don't think any of it reflects reality all that much. Maybe MGH really trains the best surgeons. Maybe it produces dangerous researchers who occasionally play around with knives. The good news is that wherever you end up, you'll have a reason to be happy about it.
Agreed. It’s the drastic oversimplification of complexities that bothers me.

No use in arguing this, people don't care for facts...they'd much rather ignore truth in order to support their beliefs. It is pretty clear based on resident profiles that the two biggest factors/biases were going to the affiliated medical school and going to another local medical school. Otherwise, the resident classes are usually highly diverse.

Agreed. It’s the drastic oversimplification of complexities that bothers me.
Which was my entire point. Things are extremely gray instead of black and white

Elaborate? To put it simply, it’s not true the training is better most of the time. Sure if you want to compare a tiny community program to MGH, but that isn’t what most people are comparing (that’s not my situation either). There is a stereotype in surgery that the the top program graduates can’t operate, because they spend all their time standing behind fellows and doing research than actually being in the OR. Even their fellows sometimes don’t actually get to operate that much. Now are there obviously exceptions to this? Yes. Is it a bit of an exaggeration? Sure. But the stereotype exists for a reason.

So no. If you want to actually be able to graduate residency and be able to operate independently from day 1 attendinghood, then I dont think the top programs are better. The top programs will position you for top academic jobs, other than that the benefit is very dubious compared to attending different academic programs.

It’s far more nuanced than “the top programs give the best training. Period.”
I disagree, but, hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion."There is a stereotype in surgery that the the top program graduates can’t operate, because they spend all their time standing behind fellows and doing research than actually being in the OR"....In what, general surgery that you are currently in, just trying to understand? There are plenty of top residencies in the sub-surgical specialities and I would assume general surgery that operate with a great deal of autonomy(a lot of hands-on), so that blanket statement you made is patently false....Go see what comes out of UPMC, Penn, NYU, Michigan, etc and let me know if they can't operate.

Last edited:
I disagree, but, hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion."There is a stereotype in surgery that the the top program graduates can’t operate, because they spend all their time standing behind fellows and doing research than actually being in the OR"....In what, general surgery that you are currently in, just trying to understand? There are plenty of top residencies in the sub-surgical specialities and I would assume general surgery that operate with a great deal of autonomy(a lot of hands-on), so that blanket statement you made is patently false....Go see what comes out of UPMC, Penn, NYU, Michigan, etc and let me know if they can't operate.

Cool, you completely misrepresented what I said. I’m not going to sit here are argue with you.

Okay, yes we are in agreement. School choice matters a lot, and ultimately it is up to the student to match.

That said, school choice can absolutely be the difference between matching or not matching a competitive specialty. Saying otherwise is ignoring reality. There are tons of students who, just by changing the school name on their resume, would suddenly match. I had a friend who attends a mid-low tier school fail to match NSG this year. He had a 240 step 1, all H and HP, including H in surgery and his sub-I. He had several pubs, too. Yes, he could have worked harder and gotten a higher step 1, all H, and more pubs, but the point is that virtually anyone with those stats from HMS is heading off to a NSG residency. So swap one variable, the school, and the outcome changes. In this case, the school did make the difference between one specialty and another.

You can also pretty easily reject the notion that all these T10 students are lining up behind productive PIs and publishing a ton. It's one thing that easily verifiable. Lots of these students have few or no manuscripts while applying. They still match very well.

Otherwise, we are in complete agreement.
See and this is where I think the argument becomes difficult, because you chose HMS as your example for a reason. We all know and I agree that HMS specifically opens doors because their grads get the benefit of the doubt based on the pedigree of the school. To me that's less of a "rankings" thing (which is what the OP asked about, and is generally what is meant when people ask about "prestige") and more of a "brand name school" thing. That's something that probably applies to a very small number of schools (throw in Hopkins, Yale... apologies if your favorite ivory tower isn't listed, I'm intentionally not naming all of the "good schools" because I want to avoid playing "What about X, Y, or Z school." The point is that the list isn't long). When you're making a distinction about those true blue-blood institutions, I think it's sort of pointless to make up a scenario where someone is choosing between a mid-low tier school and literally HMS. Nobody is going to argue they should go to a mid-low tier school over HMS, regardless of cost, and your friend if given the choice wouldn't have had any difficulty making it.

I don't really care to debate exactly how much "prestige" vs. mentorship plays into matching from the "very good" schools just outside of the blue blood group. The bottom line is that going to a good school helps when you're applying to something competitive, but in general if you have your eye on something competitive then you should still probably leverage your school to maximize your application rather than just assuming that you'll get in based on school reputation.

So for pre-meds making decisions about where to go, I generally recommend they pay more attention to large gaps in ranking (like no. 25 vs. no. 80). Once you're outside that top handful, I don't think there's an appreciable difference between say no. 17 and no. 23.

See and this is where I think the argument becomes difficult, because you chose HMS as your example for a reason. We all know and I agree that HMS specifically opens doors because their grads get the benefit of the doubt based on the pedigree of the school. To me that's less of a "rankings" thing (which is what the OP asked about, and is generally what is meant when people ask about "prestige") and more of a "brand name school" thing. That's something that probably applies to a very small number of schools (throw in Hopkins, Yale... apologies if your favorite ivory tower isn't listed, I'm intentionally not naming all of the "good schools" because I want to avoid playing "What about X, Y, or Z school." The point is that the list isn't long). When you're making a distinction about those true blue-blood institutions, I think it's sort of pointless to make up a scenario where someone is choosing between a mid-low tier school and literally HMS. Nobody is going to argue they should go to a mid-low tier school over HMS, regardless of cost, and your friend if given the choice wouldn't have had any difficulty making it.

I don't really care to debate exactly how much "prestige" vs. mentorship plays into matching from the "very good" schools just outside of the blue blood group. The bottom line is that going to a good school helps when you're applying to something competitive, but in general if you have your eye on something competitive then you should still probably leverage your school to maximize your application rather than just assuming that you'll get in based on school reputation.

So for pre-meds making decisions about where to go, I generally recommend they pay more attention to large gaps in ranking (like no. 25 vs. no. 80). Once you're outside that top handful, I don't think there's an appreciable difference between say no. 17 and no. 23.
Now we agree completely. I don't think pedigree matters except for general tiers. As in T5, T20, well-established MD, new MD/DO, IMG.

The question in the OP was simply, "how much does ranking matter when matching?" There's no hypothetical student here making a decision. We're just talking about whether students at high caliber schools have an advantage solely due to name. The answer is a resounding yes.

If a pair of twins happens to go to a T5 and a T40 med school, and they perform exactly equally there in terms of everything that is within their control, the T5 will match much better.