How much do couples therapists make in private practices? Love to hear which region and the rate. Any tips on leading a thriving couples practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctorsnetwork123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. How much do couples therapists make in private practices? Curious to hear about the rate/region
2. Is couples therapy generally a high demand?
3. How quickly can one fill up the private practice?
4. What're some good ways to get referrals?
5. Any tips on leading a thriving couple's private practice, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I do some couples therapy but it is not my specialty. I charge 175 an hour. If I was to target that market specifically, I might look at talking to some local pastors or other religious people. Would also make sure that a few of my local colleagues knew that I was offering this service as many people don’t really want to be involved in it. Also, they might already be working with an individual from the couple and don’t want to do both. My strategy for all of this is to put the energy into marketing until I’m busy making money and then I don’t really have time and word of mouth should be sufficient. Make sure you are easy to find online and in person. I have a location with a visible sign on the main street that helps people trust and remember me. Also, have a professional website that comes up pretty quickly when searching for key terms and highlights for people what I do. A good website helps people make their choice while they are sifting through psychology today data because a lot of them click through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a location with a visible sign on the main street that helps people trust and remember me.

This you?

pic.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
about 1/3 of my therapy is with couples, $225/65 min session, CA
I seem to get hetero couples where the male partner is somewhat resistant to therapy, and, as a bearded dude, I think I look like a "safe" choice.
haha I'd imagine that's true! I wonder if you thought about raising the rate? Is your rate norm in your area?

haha I'd imagine that's true! I wonder if you thought about raising the rate? Is your rate norm in your area?
I have thought about raising rates and mine are about median for the area, given a very non-scientific look at the local market, at least they were when I started in the pp in 2018. I've managed to increase my hourly take home rate by resigning from insurance panels, increasing my assessment fee, and venturing into consultation. I also have a salaried job so this is all on the side.

Reactions: 1 users
Couples therapy is very much in demand in my area. I don’t do couples therapy and have a hard time finding referrals. Two of my go to’s retired recently and it’s been hard to find alternate replacements.

If you’re interested in couples therapy, there’s definitely a need. If you’re well-trained, you shouldn’t have difficulty getting referrals, especially for Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy.

Reactions: 3 users
Couples therapy is very much in demand in my area. I don’t do couples therapy and have a hard time finding referrals. Two of my go to’s retired recently and it’s been hard to find alternate replacements.

If you’re interested in couples therapy, there’s definitely a need. If you’re well-trained, you shouldn’t have difficulty getting referrals, especially for Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy.

I wonder what the demand in Texas would be like.

Texas here! I do not do couples anymore but used to work at a practice with several therapists who ONLY did couples. They were charging anywhere from $160 to $350 for 75 mins (60 mins isn't enough imo). They were consistently filled.

A lot of it was inter-practice referrals too - a therapist seeing husband for individual would refer husband+wife to a colleague for couples, etc.

Reactions: 1 user