How much did you improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcataz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 questions

1.) How much did you improve from your initial practice diagnostic test?

2.) If you retook the DAT, how much did you improve? What did you differently that caused the improvement.

Members don't see this ad.

I retook the DAT.

1st DAT: 8-30-99

Academic Average: 17
Perceptual Ability: 24
Quantitative Reasoning: 18
Reading Comprehesion: 19
Biology: 16
General Chemistry: 16
Organic Chemistry: 18
Total Science: 17

Notes: didn't apply to AADSAS because my cumulative GPA sucked! I would've applied IF I had at least a 3.2 cumulative or so, but I didn't. I used the Kaplan course ($900) and attended some lectures and Kaplan Center materials.

2nd DAT: 1-02-02
(roughly 2.5 years later, I had more upper division and graduate level science courses and a heck lot more enthusiasm)

Academic Average: 20 (+3)
Perceptual Ability: 23 (-1)
Quantitative Reasoning: 17 (-1)
Reading Comprehesion: 23 (+4)
Biology: 22 (+6)
General Chemistry: 18 (+2)
Organic Chemistry: 21 (+3)
Total Science: 20 (+3)

Notes: as you can see, I went up in every section of the exam except for PAT and Quant, both (-1) from the first DAT. What I did different for the second time is simply never spend a second in the Kaplan Center for one, and second, I knew I had pressure on me to do well if I wanted get in a dental school. If my scores would've decreased from my first DAT, then it would have been diasterous!

I simply read that Kaplan DAT review book over and over for like 5 times. Memorized every page, front and back. Used the TopScore CD and did practice tests over and over. Know why the wrong answers were incorrect on every question (you really know your stuff by doing this). I should also note that I never spend a second on studying the PAT and Reading sections because I knew that I could well without studying in these sections. I focused mainly on the Biology, Chem, and Organic sections.

I felt really good during the whole exam and I didn't even take that 15-minute break! All it is IS study hard and put in your time in that Kaplan DAT review book. That was the nucleus of my DAT studies.

Good luck to everyone in upcoming DATs.

Andy

Thanks bro. I hope you kick ass on the boards part I and get that OMS residency.

I was wondering how much one improved from their initial diagnostic. Because you know some people know a lot of material already. I wonder if there any blank slates that improved.

I got a 15 on my diagnostic on almost all sections except PAT which i got a 19 on the diagnostic.

By my final test, I was hitting 18-23's on everything.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks desi, I'm a desi too. Good luck at Penn. Great school

I also scored much lower on my Kaplan/TopScore exams.

The real thing seemed fairly easy when compared to the exams. Especially the reading and math sections.

I was dreading the math section, but the real exam was a cakewalk on that part.

The method of choice for study aids (Kaplan, TopScore, etc.) is to OVERPREPARE you--that way you are nearly assured you will do very well on the actual exam.

Don't be surprised if the real thing is easier than the practice stuff.

Having said that, use the practice stuff for practice! Go over all the questions you miss on diagnostics and figure out why you missed them.

Memorize that Kaplan book--for the price you just cannot beat it! You'll pull AT LEAST a 20 academic by committing it to memory. I read it and reread it over and over.

Good luck!

Even if you improve only 1 or 2 points, it's still good.

Most important thing is not to have lower scores if you retake the DAT. It looks really, really bad. And I'm serious about this.

Which kaplan book is everyone referring to...the one you can buy at a bookstore or the one you have to get through kaplan when you take their class??