How Marketable is a DDS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mycoalwin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a 3rd year dental student at a respectable institution considering a career change. I'd like to consider management consulting (or other fields, really) for its reported intellectual stimulation, constant array of challenges, and opportunity to work with others.

I understand I'd be leaving a career with fair job stability, solid income, and balanced lifestyle, but I feel like I will not satisfy my need for intellectual stimulation in dentitry. Again, I do not deeply dislike what I am doing, but I am beginning to feel that is may not be enough for my personal fulfillment.

Should it get there, is a DDS degree marketable at all for consulting or other fields? I know companies usually look for MDs/PhDs, and some companies like Clearview can hire people with life sciences backgrounds in general. Would the DDS be worth finishing?

I'd appreciate any insights on my situation and the broader question on the table. Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I'm a 3rd year dental student at a respectable institution considering a career change. I'd like to consider management consulting (or other fields, really) for its reported intellectual stimulation, constant array of challenges, and opportunity to work with others.

I understand I'd be leaving a career with fair job stability, solid income, and balanced lifestyle, but I feel like I will not satisfy my need for intellectual stimulation in dentitry. Again, I do not deeply dislike what I am doing, but I am beginning to feel that is may not be enough for my personal fulfillment.

Should it get there, is a DDS degree marketable at all for consulting or other fields? I know companies usually look for MDs/PhDs, and some companies like Clearview can hire people with life sciences backgrounds in general. Would the DDS be worth finishing?

I'd appreciate any insights on my situation and the broader question on the table. Much appreciated.

Intellectual stimulation? Get a hobby....do something. Noone is stopping you from learning coding in your spare time, or learning a language. Since I've been a dentist, I've learned spanish in community college proficiently enough to survive and converse in latin america, and currently learning mandarin.

I'm gonna be frank- a job is a job. Eventually everything becomes sorta mundane. The surgeons who do open heart surgery day in day out- eventually it becomes a routine. Accountants do math all day, but at the end of the day, they can do it in their sleep.

The only job I would say that perhaps is constantly evolving for mental stimulation is computer science- but careful what you wish for- because you can become a dinosaur/fired because a 22 year old coder is more up to date then you are.

So....with your 32 hour work weeks, grab a sudoku book, grab a language book, grab a coding class, grab whatever mental wordgame you need- and enjoy it.

Just my 2 cents.

Intellectual stimulation? Get a hobby....do something. Noone is stopping you from learning coding in your spare time, or learning a language. Since I've been a dentist, I've learned spanish in community college proficiently enough to survive and converse in latin america, and currently learning mandarin.

I'm gonna be frank- a job is a job. Eventually everything becomes sorta mundane. The surgeons who do open heart surgery day in day out- eventually it becomes a routine. Accountants do math all day, but at the end of the day, they can do it in their sleep.

The only job I would say that perhaps is constantly evolving for mental stimulation is computer science- but careful what you wish for- because you can become a dinosaur/fired because a 22 year old coder is more up to date then you are.

So....with your 32 hour work weeks, grab a sudoku book, grab a language book, grab a coding class, grab whatever mental wordgame you need- and enjoy it.

Just my 2 cents.

not really true. medicine is constantly evolving with research, new methods to treat patients, new pharmacology... computer science is also similar.