How many "safe" Med-Peds program invites to keep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raaska55

I'm THERE.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I freaked out about being a DO applicant to Med-Peds because of some advice given to me ....I applied to 47 of the 77 programs. I'm actually surprised by some of the invites, but now it's getting to the point where I have to make some declines because:
1. I really can't afford to go all over, nor do I have the time-I'm doing a core rotation at a school I'm actually interviewing at, so I don't want to miss half the month and look like a tool. Then there's so much time in December, and I'm pushing into January.
2. I applied to some programs blindly, and now looking at their locations/descriptions, I probably won't mesh well....

But now I am concerned that I am going to decline "safe" invites, go on my 15 or so interviews, but all those programs were out of my reach so they don't rank me??? Or is it really true that they only interview candidates they are SERIOUS about? I didn't apply a back-up (I'm pretty dead-set on Med-Peds) and I just don't want to end up scrambling/soap-ing or whatever.

Any advice, input, etc. from current residents or applicants would be appreciated! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you need to first of all be very proud of yourself for almost finishing medical school, I honestly don't think being a DO makes you less competitive of a candidate. The fact is that you are someone they see potential in being a good match at their program and thus the many interview invites. So be proud!

Second, just be honest with yourself about programs you really aren't feeling. If there are ones that you are not sure about consider emailing residents there or doing a search on here. If you know absolutely you would be miserable at a certain program then don't waste money or time.

Third, make sure you have a good number of interviews to attend, at least 10 if you want to match. But a question to ask yourself is, would I rather go unmatched or would I be ok at BLANK program. Because honestly looking back at past match histories, there are very few if any medpeds programs that go unfilled and it sounds like your heart is set on medpeds. Also, with medpeds remember that programs accept as low as 2 people per program to ones that accept only above 10 as places like Indiana, so its still kind of competitive if you think about it but the number of applicants isn't as high as just pediatrics or medicine alone.

I think you should also discuss this with a medpeds advisor or mentor, or your medical school Dean, someone who can give you sound advice, or several people who've been through this process. Go over your list of interviews and get a good idea because its so subjective to say this program or that program is a safety program.

Good luck

Thanks for the encouragement! I definitely would rather match into a non-top choice rather than nothing or some other specialty. I just don't want to go to all these "better" program interviews and have no one rank me ... I'm shooting for 15 interviews, and hopefully will balance the list out to realistic vs not so much of a chance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I come from a school (which is on your invite list) where there are a significant number of D.O. residents in both IM and Peds Categorical programs. There are also several D.O. Med-Peds residents. The vast majority of these residents are OUTSTANDING! I really think that M.D. vs D.O. shouldn't keep you from going for what you want! And it doesn't sound like it is :) That said, I certainly understand that some of this is also a bit strategic. You've probably already done this (maybe not, it is certainly a task with the number of programs you are trying to research) but I would look at the categorical programs where you are applying and see if things seem to be "D.O. friendly". Most Med-Peds programs are relatively small compared to the categorical programs so just because you aren't seeing D.O. Med-Peds residents I don't think you can assume that they aren't willing to rank a great D.O. candidate. Go for what you want and find a place where you will have good training AND be happy! Good luck!

Y'all are all being so nice! LOL! I'm pretty excited about my interviews so far, just letting the fear of not matching get to me. I'll shoot for the top 15....good luck to y'all as well, and thanks again!

Last edited:
Y'all are all being so nice! LOL! I'm pretty excited about my interviews so far, just letting the fear of not matching get to me. I'll shoot for the top 15....good luck to y'all as well, and thanks again!

You know, raaska55, I honestly feel the same way. I can't decide if I want to let any of the programs go. I want to see all of them as I would imagine most are different in person as they are on paper. And who knows with the crazy fluctuations from year to year with the Med Peds application cycle. I wish someone could give me advice in terms of what the applicant pool looks like this year.