How many programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, you should apply to enough programs to yield 10 to 12 interviews. Of course, there's no way to know how many programs that amounts to?!?!

So, I applied to a nice even number --> 20

Most of these programs are in the East & Northeast with a few in the South and Rocky Mtn region.

What about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on where you want to go, you may want to apply to a few more programs. Coming from a DO school, with increasing competition if you want UCSF, MGH, Hopkins it may be more difficult. Hedge your bets. I did (applied to 31). Apply, then see you where you get your interviews, you can always cancel.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing exactly that. I am planning to select an additional 5 or so to apply to. However, I do not truly feel hampered in the least having come from a DO school. I have found every program that I have interacted with to very accepting & no issues with my being a DO-to-be. But, I concede that the programs I have worked with are East coast, mid-Atlantic and mid-West ones -- who seem to have had a much longer exposure to DOs.