How is the University of Hawaii program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

londongal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like with my potential stats of a 3.4 gpa (around 3.6 science gpa), and around 30 mcat (haven't taken it yet but, let's assume) that I will apply to a school like hawaii.

what are my chances?
also, what is their reputation?
I live in CA, would I end up with crappy residences after?
Can I do clinical rotations in CA?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like with my potential stats of a 3.4 gpa (around 3.6 science gpa), and around 30 mcat (haven't taken it yet but, let's assume) that I will apply to a school like hawaii.

what are my chances?

i believe hawaii takes nearly 85-90% IS... so my guess your chance is next to nill. :thumbdown: to posting your thread multiple times.

Members don't see this ad :)

what are my chances?

Do you have ANY ties to Hawaii? People get interviews there based on UH's numeric scale of stuff like MCAT, GPA, residency status (multiple factors). At one point I knew it, but it's been 4 years since I interviewed there.

There's higher standards for those who aren't residents and have no ties, and the out of state students they try to take are people who have ties to Hawaii. My stats were higher than yours (don't remember my GPAs), but the dean told me "Lucky you're a resident otherwise you wouldn't have gotten an interview." (Among other things that happened in the 3 interviews... I was really turned off by them.)

It's PBL for the first 2 years too, which is one of the big reasons why I didn't go there (I'm a resident).

your chances of getting into hawaii aren't good if you're not a resident (or from there). to get an out of state/non-resident interview, your mcat needs to be much higher than 30 and your GPA may be too low as well (in fact if you can get an interview at hawaii being an out of state person, you have a really good chance at other, much better schools). the reason is that they really prefer residents (they give points based on things like attending high school in hawaii, being a resident, etc).

and your ability to get a "good" residency really depends on your performance in medical school. of course the school's reputation helps, but people from hawaii do match at places in california (including stanford and ucla).

Status
Not open for further replies.