How important is it to do research during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

privatesugar

Reaction score
Starting MD this fall. I completed a thesis-based MS where I was quite productive. By the end of this year, I'll have four publications (one first author, two middle author, one first author review, one poster, and one oral presentation; all cancer-related basic science). Is this enough of a research resume for most residencies or is it important to do research while I'm in med school too?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your specialty aspirations, for most specialties you don’t need to do jack ****.

But for the hyper-competitive fields you wanna churn out as many publications focused on the specialty subject matter as you can because even great students can come away empty handed in the match for those.

Of course none of this is that expense of achieving the best possible score you can on STEP 2 and ensuring you pass all your other exams/classes first try.

But publications are probably the third most important thing behind board scores and clinical grades, and will actually move the needle on residency apps. Unlike volunteering and clubs which no one gives a **** about regardless of what some of your school admin/faculty might tell you.

Reactions: 3 users
Depends on your specialty aspirations, for most specialties you don’t need to do jack ****.

But for the hyper-competitive fields you wanna churn out as many publications focused on the specialty subject matter as you can because even great students can come away empty handed in the match for those.

Of course none of this is that expense of achieving the best possible score you can on STEP 2 and ensuring you pass all your other exams/classes first try.

But publications are probably the third most important thing behind board scores and clinical grades, and will actually move the needle on residency apps. Unlike volunteering and clubs which no one gives a **** about regardless of what some of your school admin/faculty might tell you.
Thanks, I'm probably going to chill on research then. Maybe a just a part time project that interests me. I'm not interested in some of the crazy fields like dermatology or surgery at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school is low tier without many resources for research. I would say it’s important for anything above gen surg/anesthesia/obgyn. For example, many in this years class matched the above with minimal research. However the ones who matched ortho had much more research

My school is low tier without many resources for research. I would say it’s important for anything above gen surg/anesthesia/obgyn. For example, many in this years class matched the above with minimal research. However the ones who matched ortho had much more research
Is gen surg really not that competitive? I suppose it depends on where you want to match?

If you want to match to a “top” program in any specialty, it helps to have a little research in your chosen specialty. Not necessary to have first author publications; a couple of poster presentations or being an author on any publication.

Reactions: 1 users
research says research matters for fields like ENT, plastics, uro. Plus it’s a way to get to know individuals that can vouch for you.

Reactions: 1 users

Blatantly incorrect.

Ppl harp on and on about scores when all it is is literally a cutoff. That's the case for the top surgical fields.

Scores are further down the list, after LORs, rotations, connections, research, etc.