how important is it to attend the socials before interview day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dog0

dough go.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there is a lot of overlap in interviews in the NE. i was planning on doing back to back interviews in philly --> ny but if i choose to do so, will miss out on the social events. any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

there is a lot of overlap in interviews in the NE. i was planning on doing back to back interviews in philly --> ny but if i choose to do so, will miss out on the social events. any advice?

I think those socials are an important part of the process so make a good faith effort to attend if you can. But if you cannot, then you cannot. I don't think failure to attend the pre-interview social will necessarily ruin your candidacy.

I have my first interview tomorrow and went to the pre-interview gathering tonight. I didn't get a chance to meet everyone in the room, but I'm pretty sure everybody who's interviewing did not show up. I don't know how this necessarily affects those students who weren't there, but I thought it might be helpful to know you probably wouldn't be the only person who couldn't make it.

On a similar note, who usually attends these events? I was under the impression that it is usually just residents but I met the program director and multiple attendings tonight. Is that the norm?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard mixed views. At my school's interview prep meeting yesterday they told us that if you don't show up, it doesn't look like you REALLY want to go the program (which may or may not be true). At the same time, many program websites say it is entirely optional and will not affect your application (though I imagine it could harm if you got drunk or came off as weird). Similarly, my former classmates who went through it last year and are now residents said they aren't necessary.

Regardless, I'm going to try to make all of mine, if at all possible, and certainly will do anything necessary to do so at my top 5 programs.

Another question - any idea what the proper attire will be at these mixers? Obviously I'm not planning on being a slob, but I've been under the impression that these are casual events. I guess it would also depend on where the mixer is located, ie restaurant vs. resident's home.

Another question - any idea what the proper attire will be at these mixers? Obviously I'm not planning on being a slob, but I've been under the impression that these are casual events. I guess it would also depend on where the mixer is located, ie restaurant vs. resident's home.

I'd call a few days before and ask the coordinator (or resident, if that's the contact you're given for the event). Some will say in their emails but not always, and sometimes it's unclear.