All Branch Topic (ABT) How hard is it to become an officer in the navy/army/airforce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you did not go through the dental/medical/nursing corps? I met my friend who is a soldier in the army and he was like "no wayyyyy".. that I will get commissioned directly to an O-3 upon graduation from dental school...

Members don't see this ad.

Your friend didn't believe you because all of the other officer commissioning programs (any of the 3 service academies, ROTC, and OCS) start you out as an O-1 when you finish their program, regardless of your job. Healthcare professionals (and maybe JAG + chaplains?) are the only officers who receive their commission above O-1.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah, you're an E-6 i believe while you're in school (hscp), and when you graduate you get commissioned to LTJG i believe

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not extraordinarily difficult to get a commission in the military as long as you're in good physical shape and reasonably intelligent. It has gotten more difficult with the wars coming to a close. It wouldn't come as a surprise to me if your friend in the Army was unaware of the unique route medical and dental officers take into the military.

You're an ensign for 4 years of dental school (O1). Graduate dental school and boom, you make lieutenant. Its really quite simple.

You're an ensign for 4 years of dental school (O1). Graduate dental school and boom, you make lieutenant. Its really quite simple.

Under HPSP, yes you are an ensign (O-1) while in dental school, but under HSCP(navy only) you are an E-6/E-7 while in dental school...

Under HPSP, yes you are an ensign (O-1) while in dental school, but under HSCP(navy only) you are an E-6/E-7 while in dental school...

Yup, I'm a Navy dentist. You are right my friend.

Reactions: 1 user