How do you get a university position? (Dean, Chair, Director)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiikookie

PrePod
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a must to have an MBA to get such high exec positions? I'm interested in exploring this path

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a must to have an MBA to get such high exec positions? I'm interested in exploring this path
Go to the right program. Acquire a pus/ex fix/muscle flap skill set. Or do a fellowship for this.

Universities don't want you for your ability to do a bunion or an ankle fracture or a total ankle. Pus. That is the university docs role. And it is a noble role, no matter what SDN says. The pus bus pays the bills.

Reactions: 4 users
Go to the right program. Acquire a pus/ex fix/muscle flap skill set. Or do a fellowship for this.

Universities don't want you for your ability to do a bunion or an ankle fracture or a total ankle. Pus. That is the university docs role. And it is a noble role, no matter what SDN says. The pus bus pays the bills.

Nobody cares you can do total ankles. You are not Schuberth. There’s an MD/DO down the road who does more volume. Nobody cares if you are doing 2-5 TARS a year.

Get good at wound care, limb salvage, ex fix, Charcot, diabetic offloading surgeries. These are high reimbursement low stress cases.

But also be competent in bunions, hammertoes, flatfoot, ankle scopes, brostrom, fractures and scopes.

If you can do all those things you don’t need TAR. This is coming from someone who did a residency where I scrubbed 50 first assist TAR cases and I haven’t done one since residency due to state scope limitations in the beginning of my career. I’m considering doing them again now I’m in a new territory but my volume in everything else I mentioned above keeps me incredibly busy (750-850 RVUs per month and climbing). Plus there is an MD in town who gets referrals from three different states and does 50-75 TARs a year. So there really is no point.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Where are you currently in your education path?

Where are you currently in your education path?
Pre pod.

Its A Trap GIF

• Haha
  • Dislike
No, it's not a must to have any other degree. It can't hurt, but not many do.

You're asking about university leadership positions. Usually you have to start in academics first at the bottom, as an assistant professor, and work your way up. There are different pathways for academic promotion, but many involve research and publications. The smart thing to do is to look at the criteria for promotion and find a path that is the fastest.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't do podiatry. I beg you lmao

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users