How do these programs compare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dankatzzz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finalizing me ROL and am wandering how would people compare the following programs in the Northeast: LIJ, Winthrop, U Mass, and U Conn? Both LIJ and Winthrop seem like very strong community programs. U Conn is a large university program with two fellowships and U Mass is a smaller university program. In terms of academic quality and education, which do you guys think are better? Location is not as much of an issue - I am interested in quality of education.
thanks
Dani

Members don't see this ad.

Fisrt do you want to do a fellowship? If so programs that have sunspec. in those fellowships have connections that will help you down the line. Second what is the call schedule like this depends on the # of residents. I would tend to go to a larger program just out of fear of programs closing down due to malpractice crisis etc. Also call q5/6 is a big difference from q3/4. Third U MAss is the strongest program in my oppinion. Fourth go to a program that has GOOD GYN #"S any program will give you the OB experience you want.

Good luck
Diane

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, why do you think U. Mass is the strongest? As for fellowships, at the moment, I am considering MFM, but am not sure. Since MFM is not the most competitive fellowship, I am not as concerned as I would be in one of the surgical subspecialties.
Thanks for your help,
Dani

Members don't see this ad :)
U Mass:From what I recall it is location and the ability to rotate at nearby hospitals. Does U Conn does have a MFM fellowship? If so this would be a good choice as well. True MFM is NOT competitive now but in 4 years it may be (4 yrs ago REI was not competitive but it is today). Look at the Gyn #'s to help you decide.
:) Diane

Well, U Mass is located at Worcester which is not the greatest place, but is about 45 minutes from Boston which is nice since it is much much cheaper to liver in Worcester than it is in Boston. U Conn is around a not so fun city (hartford), but has beautiful suburbs which are great for a family. U conn has MFM and REI, is a bigger program, but is spread over three hospitals which has its drawbacks. Good point about not knowing how competitive the specialties will be - it is hard to predict. I like the bread and butter too, so I would not mind being a general ob/gyn. Both university programs seem to have an adequate surgical experience and provide a broad education. In either case, I think I will be happy in any one of my top 4 choices.
Good luck with the match!
Dani