General How do I get targeted feedback when they won't provide more information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done rotations prior for another health related degree. During these rotations, at least once, it was brought to my attention (by my adviser) that the site had issues with me, however, they would not say what. I am older now, having gotten that degree, and am working on my pre-med. I have striven to find ways to be a team player and listen to others. I feel like I always was doing this, however.

I want to be successful in future rotations/clinical hours/ shadowing. How can I get *actual* feedback about what I am doing wrong/how exactly I am coming across in a way that others deem me to be difficult? Whenever I ask for specifics so that I can change, I get told they can't go into specifics. I am very frustrated wanting to improve myself and not knowing what area needs improvement. Is there a way I can discover what is wrong? A better way to ask? I have asked friends and family and also gotten no where. I am looking into therapy, but I am not sure this will be very helpful as I need to know what is happening in the work relationship that people are feeling I am difficult. My only thought is to be up front with anyone I shadow and ask them to please be very blunt about anything at all I can address. Any other ideas?
You talk to the people who are telling you something is wrong.

And ask for feedback from trusted mentors

Members don't see this ad.

Trust me, I have asked. It is deeply saddening to try so very hard to fit in with a team and feel like you *are* fitting in, only to be told that is not the case and you have been upsetting people. I have asked repeatedly for more targeted feedback. I want *nothing* more than to address and correct whatever it is I am doing. The only thing they will say (two different people on two different occasions) is "We can't go into specifics. Just don't do it again" Ugg... Do what?? The most I have gotten is that I come off as rude, but without specifics I can't address it. I have read up on what to do to be a team player/ come across as friendly, and put those things into practice...and got the second feedback of being rude. *sigh*

Goro said:
And ask for feedback from trusted mentors
The mentors I have, from leadership positions, have written me sterling recommendations. Whatever is happening, is something specific to an actual work environment. In school and leadership I have not had similar feedback at all.
If they can't go into specifics, then they either are uncomfortable in telling you what happened, and/or are incapable of giving constructive criticism.

Do they know that you're autistic? This might be the problem. If you're unable to pick up on emotional cues, then you need to figure out how to get around this, or notify your teammates that you need their help in this regard.

Goro said:
If they can't go into specifics, then they either are uncomfortable in telling you what happened, and/or are incapable of giving constructive criticism.
I think in both cases it was a matter of trying to maintain the anonymity of the person who had complained. As in, giving me specifics would indicate the person who had said something. Which, on one hand, I understand, but on the other, it makes it very difficult to do anything with the feedback.

Goro said:
Do they know that you're autistic? This might be the problem. If you're unable to pick up on emotional cues, then you need to figure out how to get around this, or notify your teammates that you need their help in this regard.
No. Both of these took place before I was diagnosed. It wasn't until I returned to school that I realized the issues I was having and got a full neuropsych done. Prior, I just knew I rubbed some people the wrong way and so I went out of my way to try not to, without really understanding what I was doing that was making them upset. I think that is part of why I don't bother trying to hide it now. I want to know my own limitations and people to know, up front, that I am not trying to be rude *however* I also don't want to be laying the responsibility of a functional team on others. Yes, communication goes both ways, but if I want to be successful in this profession (and I do) than I need to learn how to work in a way that the team members do not feel like I am being difficult, rude, or disrespectful. So I am trying to be proactive and find ways to do that. It is looking like my best bet might be to find physicians to shadow that would be willing to be very blunt with me about anything they see as a hindrance. While everyone has a different take on what they like in the workplace, I am sure a tend will emerge. I am old enough to know that the responsibility is mine and I want to take those steps now, rather than later. Especially given the fact that most of these issues are clearly not apparent to me and will likely need considerable effort on my part to change/address.

I'm never a fan of passive aggressive behavior when seeking feedback. Certainly there are some dynamics that you haven't really included, but it's not clear what to include. Feedback begins with a culture of reflection and trust, and that doesn't always exist in clinical environments.

Your advisor is doing you a big disservice not being specific about your feedback. That's his or her job, IMO.

You can find a feedback template like the ones used for formal evaluation of staff and bring up a conversation with your advisor or supervisor about going through a formative evaluation and get feedback. There should be something like this for your institution. Schedule it, and it casual, and ensure followup and specific instructions on improvement. Don't forget to ask about things you do well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.