how do I get into anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scorpmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the odds of making into anesthesia w/o any med school rotations? Currently, will be starting IM in July and would like to switch to anesthesia for the following year. I checked with my program, and they don't have anesthesia for 1st year residents. Any advise???

Members don't see this ad.

You'd have a better chance if you did a prelim-surgery year instead; You'll get to know the anesthesiology attendings better,as well as have more opportunitites to demonstrate your work ethnic and affable personality; We tend to have more individuals successfully jump ship from surgery to anesthesiology.

Is it too late for you to inquire around? Prelim-surgery years are pretty up for grabs in most places - since it is typically a brutal intern year.

Otherwise, you'll have to make an effort to "hang out" in your rare off-time with the anesthesia dept to get to know them; Let the program director know ahead of time that you're interested and would like to shadow or spend time in the SICU's (if they are run by anesthesia at your institution).

Maybe they will make an exception and allow you to observe in the OR. If they still do not allow it, I would find a prelim program that would. Now is the time. You need a rotation for LORs and to answer the question "how can you say that Anesthesia is the right fit for you when you haven't even spent a single day with us?"

I did a medicine prelim year and felt it to be helpful for Anesthesia since we are Medicine in the OR.

you have to get some time in the OR, even if its not a full rotation. number one, anes is not for everyone and you have to make sure you like anesthesia and not just that you hate medicine and everything else. also, a LOR would be very helpful. whether its weekends or whatever you can manage, you must get some anesthesia time...